funjumper101

The NRA’s profit soars as gun deaths mount

Nicely written factual information.
I expect the 2nd amendment fanboys to pull a TLDR and post stupid responses. Have at it!

Begin quoted text>>>

The Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in Connecticut almost three years ago did nothing to restrict access to guns, as the students of Umpqua Community College in Oregon learned to their cost yesterday.

But it did a huge amount for the National Rifle Association.

As the rest of America mourns yet another murderous gun spree on campus, a review of financial filings shows just how far the mammoth gun organization has been able to cash in, big time, on the fallout that followed Sandy Hook in December 2012.

Membership dues jumped as supporters rallied to the cause. So did profits. And executive pay ran into the millions. Not bad for a charity that is exempt from taxes.

Yesterday’s college slaughter in Oregon, which left at least 10 dead, was the 142nd shooting incident in a school or college since Sandy Hook. As there have been only over 1,000 days during that period, this means there’s been a shooting in an American school or college about once a week. In most of those, at least one person was injured, and in about one incident a month, at least one person was killed.

So can we all stop claiming we’re “shocked” when it happens yet again? A murderous rampage on an American school or college campus happens about as often as you get a bill from your mortgage lender.

The debate about gun control has produced no concrete action. But it has shaken up gun supporters, who have rushed out to buy more weapons and sent more money to the NRA.

In total, about 10,000 Americans are murdered with guns each year, or more than three times the number of people killed on 9/11. It’s equivalent to lining up and shooting three baseball teams each day. That doesn’t include suicides.

It’s not especially remarkable. Almost nothing makes it as easy for a crazy person to kill a lot of people as a gun. Especially a semi-automatic handgun. Yet, apparently, we have become resigned to the situation.

There was a brief flurry of interest in gun control in late 2012 and early 2013, after Adam Lanza had shot and killed 26 people, including 20 children, at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

A few politicians even pretended in public that they wanted to do something. Stocks in gun manufacturers briefly tumbled on Wall Street.

The debate about gun control produced no concrete action. But it did shake up gun supporters, who rushed out to buy more weapons and sent more money to the NRA. They were already in a panic after President Obama got re-elected.

Gun makers such as Sturm, Ruger and Smith & Wesson saw a surge in sales.

NRA Chief Executive Officer Wayne LaPierre proved a master of the situation. He ignored any calls for compromise or common sense. Instead he made a speech demanding armed guards in every school in the country, a speech that was effectively a joke told with a straight face.

The most fanatical gun supporters saw the incident as a call to arms — literally.

NRA membership dues skyrocketed by a staggering 62% in the year after Sandy Hook, from $108 million to $176 million. Total revenue in 2013 hit a third of a billion dollars.

As a result, the massive organization saw profits — excuse me, “surpluses” — rocket 2,750% to $57 million.

Of course, that’s before taxes. But, then, it didn’t pay any taxes, for it is a nonprofit charity.

The NRA estimates it was also helped by 150,000 volunteers. How many corporations could boast as much?

The NRA top executives shared that year in a treasure chest of more than $8 million in salary, bonuses, nontaxable benefits, deferred pay and other compensation — a nice payout for an organization that enjoys charitable exemption from U.S. taxes. LaPierre alone made a million bucks a year, which is, ironically, equal to about $100 for every man, woman and child murdered with a gun in America.
<<< End

funjumper101

Nicely written factual information.
I expect the 2nd amendment fanboys to pull a TLDR and post stupid responses. Have at it!

Begin quoted text>>>

The Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in Connecticut almost three years ago did nothing to restrict access to guns, as the students of Umpqua Community College in Oregon learned to their cost yesterday.

But it did a huge amount for the National Rifle Association.

As the rest of America mourns yet another murderous gun spree on campus, a review of financial filings shows just how far the mammoth gun organization has been able to cash in, big time, on the fallout that followed Sandy Hook in December 2012.

Membership dues jumped as supporters rallied to the cause. So did profits. And executive pay ran into the millions. Not bad for a charity that is exempt from taxes.

Yesterday’s college slaughter in Oregon, which left at least 10 dead, was the 142nd shooting incident in a school or college since Sandy Hook. As there have been only over 1,000 days during that period, this means there’s been a shooting in an American school or college about once a week. In most of those, at least one person was injured, and in about one incident a month, at least one person was killed.

So can we all stop claiming we’re “shocked” when it happens yet again? A murderous rampage on an American school or college campus happens about as often as you get a bill from your mortgage lender.

The debate about gun control has produced no concrete action. But it has shaken up gun supporters, who have rushed out to buy more weapons and sent more money to the NRA.

In total, about 10,000 Americans are murdered with guns each year, or more than three times the number of people killed on 9/11. It’s equivalent to lining up and shooting three baseball teams each day. That doesn’t include suicides.

It’s not especially remarkable. Almost nothing makes it as easy for a crazy person to kill a lot of people as a gun. Especially a semi-automatic handgun. Yet, apparently, we have become resigned to the situation.

There was a brief flurry of interest in gun control in late 2012 and early 2013, after Adam Lanza had shot and killed 26 people, including 20 children, at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

A few politicians even pretended in public that they wanted to do something. Stocks in gun manufacturers briefly tumbled on Wall Street.

The debate about gun control produced no concrete action. But it did shake up gun supporters, who rushed out to buy more weapons and sent more money to the NRA. They were already in a panic after President Obama got re-elected.

Gun makers such as Sturm, Ruger and Smith & Wesson saw a surge in sales.

NRA Chief Executive Officer Wayne LaPierre proved a master of the situation. He ignored any calls for compromise or common sense. Instead he made a speech demanding armed guards in every school in the country, a speech that was effectively a joke told with a straight face.

The most fanatical gun supporters saw the incident as a call to arms — literally.

NRA membership dues skyrocketed by a staggering 62% in the year after Sandy Hook, from $108 million to $176 million. Total revenue in 2013 hit a third of a billion dollars.

As a result, the massive organization saw profits — excuse me, “surpluses” — rocket 2,750% to $57 million.

Of course, that’s before taxes. But, then, it didn’t pay any taxes, for it is a nonprofit charity.

The NRA estimates it was also helped by 150,000 volunteers. How many corporations could boast as much?

The NRA top executives shared that year in a treasure chest of more than $8 million in salary, bonuses, nontaxable benefits, deferred pay and other compensation — a nice payout for an organization that enjoys charitable exemption from U.S. taxes. LaPierre alone made a million bucks a year, which is, ironically, equal to about $100 for every man, woman and child murdered with a gun in America.
<<< End

Here is a response:
Do you have any original thoughts of your your own, or do you just, as some here would put it, regurgitate what you receive in your liberal mailbox?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

SkyDekker

***The NRA is a non-profit. Just like Planned Parenthood.

Merica, where guns are a right and health care a privilege.Gun ownership is a right. Healthcare is not.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

******The NRA is a non-profit. Just like Planned Parenthood.

Merica, where guns are a right and health care a privilege.Gun ownership is a right. Healthcare is not.

The best part is that you don't even see that as fucked up. You are proud of it. You think that is what makes the country great.

smh

SkyDekker

*********The NRA is a non-profit. Just like Planned Parenthood.

The best part is that you don't even see that as fucked up. You are proud of it. You think that is what makes the country great.

smh
Which one is actually more of a right? Go to a hospital ER, And no means to pay. You get treated. Now go to a gun store to buy a gun with no means to pay for it you walk away without a New gun.
Just cause it is a right does not mean somebody else has to pay for it.
SMFH.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

rushmc

******The NRA is a non-profit. Just like Planned Parenthood.

We have more rights than those explicitly mentioned in the Constitution, you know. Some of them are even "self evident".

(Well, in your case, perhaps you didn't know.)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

SkyDekker

***The NRA is a non-profit. Just like Planned Parenthood.

Merica, where guns are a right and health care a privilege.

Free guns and free healthcare...we're gonna need it.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

BartsDaddy

************The NRA is a non-profit. Just like Planned Parenthood.

smh
Which one is actually more of a right? Go to a hospital ER, And no means to pay. You get treated. Now go to a gun store to buy a gun with no means to pay for it you walk away without a New gun.
Just cause it is a right does not mean somebody else has to pay for it.
SMFH.

It appears that you don't know the difference between affirmative rights and negative rights. Perhaps you SYH too much.

champu

What makes you say that? He just illustrated one of the differences between positive and negative rights.

So which one is "more of a right", to use his own words?

kallend

***What makes you say that? He just illustrated one of the differences between positive and negative rights.

I believe the question is rhetorical.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

kallend

***What makes you say that? He just illustrated one of the differences between positive and negative rights.

i think his observation is that positive rights are inherently "more of a right" in practice than negative rights. Being allowed to do something is a weaker mandate than being entitled to it.

Further, his comment points out that healthcare is indeed a positive right in this country via emergency rooms. That's not to say ERs are a great way of implementing healthcare as a positive right, it's just to say that they do.

champu

******What makes you say that? He just illustrated one of the differences between positive and negative rights.

i think his observation is that positive rights are inherently "more of a right" in practice than negative rights. Being allowed to do something is a weaker mandate than being entitled to it.

Further, his comment points out that healthcare is indeed a positive right in this country via emergency rooms. That's not to say ERs are a great way of implementing healthcare as a positive right, it's just to say that they do.
You have to realise kallend just has to berate other people rather then discussing the subject. Its much easier for some to try and discourage a conversation about something then to add anything of value.:S
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

champu

******What makes you say that? He just illustrated one of the differences between positive and negative rights.

I interpreted that as inconsistent with his statement about "doesn't mean somebody else has to pay for it." If you're entitled and don't have the means, then someone else DOES have to pay for it.

I suppose it depends on what happens after you receive the treatment or service you're entitled to. I think there was an episode of Last Week Tonight recently where Oliver was discussing this, and how it can go wrong, as it relates to public defenders.

You could always ask him to clarify, he is right there (but maybe don't suggest he has a brain injury this time.)

BartsDaddy

*********What makes you say that? He just illustrated one of the differences between positive and negative rights.

You have to realise kallend just has to berate other people rather then discussing the subject. Its much easier for some to try and discourage a conversation about something then to add anything of value.:S

I don't doubt his knowledge and intelligence, just his opinions.:)

turtlespeed

***Thanks for your post. It reminded me to send another $100 to the NRA.

Me too.

I hear the sounds of credulous sheep bleating, as expected.

Sending more money to a "non-profit" organization that has millions of excess revenue in the bank would be something that only easily led dullards would do. Idiots are free to waste their money on whatever shiny thing they are sold.

Jump tickets would have been a better expenditure of resources.

funjumper101

******Thanks for your post. It reminded me to send another $100 to the NRA.

Me too.

I hear the sounds of credulous sheep bleating, as expected.

Sending more money to a "non-profit" organization that has millions of excess revenue in the bank would be something that only easily led dullards would do. Idiots are free to waste their money on whatever shiny thing they are sold.

Jump tickets would have been a better expenditure of resources.

There is no price I would not pay to oppose you.