turtlespeed

We need more laws against Camrys

tkhayes

already being addressed it would seem. If we could only do that for guns....recall them, force manufacturers to improve them, make them safer to use....
http://www.toyotaproblems.com/recalls/Camry/

Yes, a self activating smart gun is a good idea.

It sees an opportunity that is dangerous and bang, it puts the brakes on that situation automaticly.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

tkhayes

already being addressed it would seem. If we could only do that for guns....recall them, force manufacturers to improve them, make them safer to use....
http://www.toyotaproblems.com/recalls/Camry/

What "defects" would you have them fix?

There have been a few gun recalls over the years that I can think of. One recent one was a Remington rimfire rifle that had a tendency to fire when the action was closed.
You know, an actual defect.

Most of the cries to "recall guns" are based on user actions, not defective guns.
Using that logic, cars would be recalled because people drove them drunk.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

>Using that logic, cars would be recalled because people drove them drunk.

Or let the carpet get between their foot and the gas pedal (which has happened.) Or they were turned off in a way the driver wasn't used to (which has happened.) Both user error rather than mechanical defect.

nobody suggested 'banning guns' and no one suggested a self-activating gun either, except you.

pretty narrow minded once again from the gun lobby that NOTHING can be done, NOTHING can be improved, therefore we will do NOTHING to change anything....

my example was pretty simple - in so many other facets of our lives interacting with the machinery we use on a daily basis, we do in fact regulate, change, improve, recall, train, etc etc etc and the results are demonstratively positive with a reduction in lives lost.

Same can be done with guns.

read my reply above - such narrow-mindedness from you. really. surely you can do better. let's nitpick every word, every detail, every nuance. Let's do NOTHING. let's continue to claim that we can do NOTHING.

Let's NEVER improve on anything....I mean, it is the American way, but only when it comes to guns.

How many products do you use EVERY SINGLE DAY in your life, that you only use because they are safer than they ever were before?

pretty narrow minded once again from the gun lobby that NOTHING can be done, NOTHING can be improved, therefore we will do NOTHING to change anything....

The gun lobby fights very, very hard to stop most if not all development regarding safety. There is absolutely zero interest to incorporate any form of new technology to try and make guns safer.

Let's NEVER improve on anything....I mean, it is the American way, but only when it comes to guns.

Unfortunately this is almost the exact truth of the situation. The majority of Americans support 2nd amendment rights as they are currently being applied by the courts. Until public opinion swings toward changing the Constitution the amount of damage to society caused by all the gun play will only increase. The people have spoken loudly, and they have clearly said they are willing to pay this price for the freedom to play with their powerful toys. God Bless America.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Bad shit happens with guns no one can deny that but it is a fucking SMALL percentage of deaths in the U.S. If we focused half of these gun arguements, tv air time, and politicians on something like obesity we could save millions instead of thousands.

Take out the gang shootings and the number would get almost trivial in relation to other causes of death.

It is only at the top of the arguement list for the same reason as we argue so hard about presidential canidates. One side wants it to work one way the other side wants it to work the other way so they throw out common sense and bear down on the topic for the sake of their side getting a win. Look at a list of reasons humans die and tell me we are focusing on the most important topic in relation to guns.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Bad shit happens for sure. Guns seem to be one of the few tools with which bad shit sometimes happen, where many are completely unwilling to try and reduce the amount of bad shit happening with it.

Most other tools and situations, people are quite fine with looking at strategies and technologies that can reduce the amount of bad shit happening.

Who here is completely unwilling? How many dozen page debates here have you seen on heart disease, cancer, and chronic lower resporatory diseases, car accidents, strokes? Those are the top killers.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Bad shit happens with guns no one can deny that but it is a fucking SMALL percentage of deaths in the U.S. If we focused half of these gun arguements, tv air time, and politicians on something like obesity we could save millions instead of thousands.

Take out the gang shootings and the number would get almost trivial in relation to other causes of death.

This kind of thinking is part of what allows US society to accept paying the 2nd amendment price. You are correct, chances are you or your family will not be personally touched by the violence. It's easy to rationalize that way. Yes, the numbers are small, but they are at least 5 times higher than they are in other 1st world countries.

Then there is the fact that the most gun deaths are suicides. If you are a gun owner the person you are most likely to use your gun on is yourself. When you take all that in, and you consider just how much fun, and how powerful a firearm can make you feel, it's unlikely the 2nd Amendment will be altered in any foreseeable time.

I really do hope you and yours are never touched by this. But it's likely that someone on this forum will be.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Other countries are completely different and cannot be compared. No other country has started and been maintained as a free gun state with MILLIONS of them in circulation. That is part of the problem but comparing it to say England or Germany to say look they are first world too and they don't have this problem is silly.

I'm not saying don't try, I have even thrown my ideas out here to help control the issue, but the proportion of attention it gets is flawed compared to the number of people it kills.

Anvilbrother

Who here is completely unwilling? How many dozen page debates here have you seen on heart disease, cancer, and chronic lower resporatory diseases, car accidents, strokes? Those are the top killers.

And yet people want to make sure they have guns to protect themselves from all the evil in the world while they go get their supersized coke with the tripple Whopper.

Anvilbrother

Side step action smooth.

Not a side step, just the other side of the coin.

The odds of being involved in some very violent incident in which a gun is going to help you are very slim, yet many people feel they need to be armed with guns....just in case.

Why pay this giant price as a society, just so you can walk around with guns?

(Since the original intention of the 2nd amendment is rather outdadted at this point)

...it is a fucking SMALL percentage of deaths in the U.S...

And it can still be improved upon easily with little/no infringement on your 'rights'

Go america.....like I said, NOTHING will ever be done because of attitudes like that. small numbers, who cares. no perfect solution so we do nothing. cannot be improved so why bother trying. etc etc.

We put a fucking man on the moon and cured many diseases, built the wealthiest nation on earth with the most powerful military. Our accomplishments are vast, yet they still continue to 'deny'.

Other countries are completely different and cannot be compared.

rubbish. they get compared when we talk about economic policy, political policy, military, construction techniques, medical advancements, education, food, agriculture, science, social and cultural issues, etc etc.

pure denial.

Anvilbrother

Yes, and we continually change things to improve on those 'killer' things. I would be happy if we continually changed gun laws to attempt to accomplish the same admirable goals.

tkhayes

...it is a fucking SMALL percentage of deaths in the U.S...

And it can still be improved upon easily with little/no infringement on your 'rights'

Go america.....like I said, NOTHING will ever be done because of attitudes like that. small numbers, who cares. no perfect solution so we do nothing. cannot be improved so why bother trying. etc etc.

We put a fucking man on the moon and cured many diseases, built the wealthiest nation on earth with the most powerful military. Our accomplishments are vast, yet they still continue to 'deny'.

Who here does not want to do anything about this please name them. Your the second person to throw this around, is it in some liberal playbook you guys are using? I have yet to see anyone here say it's perfect, and they REFUSE to do anything to reduce it. I am stating that it gets a disproportionate amount of attention for what it is.