Amazon

9 African Americans shot in a church in Charleston SC

turtlespeed

That is a pretty ridiculous statement that the gun poses a bigger risk . . . Just nonsensical liberal gun taker mentality.

Nope.

Yep.

www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/02/having-a-gun-in-the-house-doesnt-make-a-woman-safer/284022/

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

African American... African or American? which is it?

How about British American or Irish American? maybe German American? when do you ever hear those terms?

I don't get it...

This term (African American) along with, white, black and any other term that segregates different people by the colour of their skin is a problem.

The title should say "9 people killed in a church".

The US (along with many other places) is inherently racist, even those trying to be politically correct, are racist.

A person is a person and should not be categorized nor judged by the colour of their skin or where their great, great granddaddy came from.

I guess that suggestion would be too much for most to get their head around.

kallend

That is a pretty ridiculous statement that the gun poses a bigger risk . . . Just nonsensical liberal gun taker mentality.

annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1814426

I was hoping for different content based on that URL [:/]

I agree with all the articles/studies you're posting. I live in what some would consider downtown Denver. Not in an unsafe area by any stretch of the imagination, but close to some less desirable parts. I definitely feel less at risk NOT having a gun in my home than if I did. To think differently is kind of strange.

-Not a "nonsensical liberal"

JohnnyMarko

annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1814426

I was hoping for different content based on that URL [:/]

I agree with all the articles/studies you're posting. I live in what some would consider downtown Denver. Not in an unsafe area by any stretch of the imagination, but close to some less desirable parts. I definitely feel less at risk NOT having a gun in my home than if I did. To think differently is kind of strange.

-Not a "nonsensical liberal"

Statistically speaking, people with guns in their homes are more likely to be injured by firearms than people who have no guns.

However, most of those injuries stem from not employing simple gun safety practices: locking up guns out of reach of children, never pointing a gun at anyone you don't intend to shoot, ensuring that the gun is unloaded before cleaning or doing maintenance on it, etc. The problem is that people become complacent about gun safety, and that complacency comes back to bite them.

A gun in the home is a serious responsibility, and the statistics indicate that many people don't take it seriously enough.

I am not an anti-gunner (despite what marc rush thinks). I do wish that people would look at real, validated, statistically significant data before making the decision that owning a gun will make them safer. Maybe it will, but history shows that for many people, particularly careless ones, it just makes them deader.

kallend

Nope.

Yep.

www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199310073291506

"After controlling for these characteristics, we found that keeping a gun in the home was strongly and independently associated with an increased risk of homicide (adjusted odds ratio, 2.7; 95 percent confidence interval, 1.6 to 4.4). Virtually all of this risk involved homicide by a family member or intimate acquaintance.

CONCLUSIONS
The use of illicit drugs and a history of physical fights in the home are important risk factors for homicide in the home. Rather than confer protection, guns kept in the home are associated with an increase in the risk of homicide by a family member or intimate acquaintance."

Wow John, that's quite a leap. How much illicit drug use, and physical fighting do you think happens in his home that qualifies him as the demographic this conclusion refers to?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

normiss

This professor has the best gun safety training class I've seen so far.
The scenarios are impressive testing for kids.

It would seem that as a society, we prefer to inform our children that guns are cooler than art.
That's fucked up.

Indeed. All I can do is teach my kids that if they find a gun out there, to not touch it, but tell an adult about it, or a police officer. Mine is kept in a safe place with the mag in a separate place.
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

coozer

How about British American or Irish American? maybe German American? when do you ever hear those terms?

I don't get it...

This term (African American) along with, white, black and any other term that segregates different people by the colour of their skin is a problem.

The US (along with many other places) is inherently racist, even those trying to be politically correct, are racist.

A person is a person and should not be categorized nor judged by the colour of their skin or where their great, great granddaddy came from.

In a case where the VICTIMS are selected on account of their skin color, it seems quite appropriate to point it out.

coozer

I don't get it...

As a genealogist I hear it quite a bit actually:)With the increase in DNA testing its amazing how much that has changed how people think about where their families hailed from.. with actual proof right thre in their DNA.... hard to deny reality.

kallend

***African American... African or American? which is it?

I don't get it...

In a case where the VICTIMS are selected on account of their skin color, it seems quite appropriate to point it out.

OR their ethnicity or their religion.....
"This is a righteous judgement of God upon these barbarous wretches, who have imbrued their hands in so much innocent blood." - Oliver Cromwell

kallend

***African American... African or American? which is it?

I don't get it...

Im still trying to figure out when Ireland, Britain, or Germany became their own continents.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

******African American... African or American? which is it?

I don't get it...

Im still trying to figure out when Ireland, Britain, or Germany became their own continents.

When you live on the SOUTH SIDE of Chicago you hear lots of people describe themselves as irish-American. The South Side Irish Parade goes within 1/2 mile of my house.

The 2015 South Side Irish Parade will be March 15th, 2015. The parade will step off at noon from 103rd and proceed down Western Avenue to 115th Street.

Leading the way down South Western Avenue for the the 2015 South Side Irish Parade will be our Grand Marshals, the Irish American Labor Council, a committee of the AFL-CIO, the IALC is focused on improving and promoting social and community welfare. The council also participates in issues of importance to Irish Immigrants in Chicago.

Of course, some people would argue that this is in Indiana.

kallend

*********African American... African or American? which is it?

I don't get it...

When you live on the SOUTH SIDE of Chicago you hear lots of people describe themselves as irish-American. The South Side Irish Parade goes within 1/2 mile of my house.

The 2015 South Side Irish Parade will be March 15th, 2015. The parade will step off at noon from 103rd and proceed down Western Avenue to 115th Street.

Leading the way down South Western Avenue for the the 2015 South Side Irish Parade will be our Grand Marshals, the Irish American Labor Council, a committee of the AFL-CIO, the IALC is focused on improving and promoting social and community welfare. The council also participates in issues of importance to Irish Immigrants in Chicago.

Of course, some people would argue that this is in Indiana.

You remind me of all the assholes that said they were from Chicago, and when I asked what part they said Ottawa.

and you are probably over looking the fact that 99% of 'African Americans' would not have a clue about which particular nation their ancestors were 'stolen' from.

Heck, the country they came from is probably called something completely different now.

Not really, it would be appropriate to point out the motivations of the killer in the article for sure, but to describe the victims by the color of their skin in the title, is racist. Why not 9 christians?

They were people. If they were all white, would the headline say "9 white people killed"? or only if it was done by an 'African American'.

I could care less if Michelle Obama or Oprah (for example) describe themselves as African Americans, they are being racist as well and only fueling the fire.

If one wants to differentiate between race, then the terms Caucasian, Negroid and Mongoloid (and australoid) should be used...

Try calling someone with dark skin a negroid though... they will think you are insulting them, when that is the scientific term for their race.

The term negro also seems to be taboo these days, when it simply means black. But the word black is perfectly ok? weird.

Society has such a skewed interpretation of what racism or equality is these days, that I am not sure anybody really knows what that means anymore.

coozer

Not really, it would be appropriate to point out the motivations of the killer in the article for sure, but to describe the victims by the color of their skin in the title, is racist. Why not 9 christians?

They were people. If they were all white, would the headline say "9 white people killed"? or only if it was done by an 'African American'.

I could care less if Michelle Obama or Oprah (for example) describe themselves as African Americans, they are being racist as well and only fueling the fire.

If one wants to differentiate between race, then the terms Caucasian, Negroid and Mongoloid (and australoid) should be used...

Try calling someone with dark skin a negroid though... they will think you are insulting them, when that is the scientific term for their race.

The term negro also seems to be taboo these days, when it simply means black. But the word black is perfectly ok? weird.

Society has such a skewed interpretation of what racism or equality is these days, that I am not sure anybody really knows what that means anymore.

I am sick to death with people who define themselves by a particular parameter - be it religious, ethnic, political, sexual or whatever - but see fit to bitch about being judged by their self-imposed definition.

You can point out how feelings are hurt by signs that say "No dogs or Irish allowed," but that rings somewhat hollow if there are political, religious and economic organizations based on one's familial ties to the old sod.

I am with Teddy Roosevelt in his assessment of hyphenated Americans. One is either A) American or B) Other.

Biker Trash Chic has existed on and off as long as I can remember, where various groups (frat boys et al.) try to put on badass airs by posing as Outlaw Bikers.

I have more than once found it amusing when some of these assholes discovered to their dismay that wearing the wrong colors in the wrong place can result in having the living shit beaten out of them by the real deal.

Be careful how you define yourself - others may well accept that definition with all its attendant baggage.

BSBD,

Winsor

futuredivot

Hate to do something against the rules-like posting on topic so late on the thread-but from us here, if you're not helping, go home! We got this. We will be just fine. No Way. Not Today http://www.wspa.com/story/29394270/protesters-attempt-to-disturb-memorial-at-mother-emanuel

At least the protesters walked away after hearing "We Shall Overcome"...

Westboro Baptist would just ratchet up the bullshit. :S
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

normiss

Jesus balls man.
Let it go man.
You're acting like a 13 year old boy.

Who fucking cares where you live???

Well, I do, and apparently Airdvr does too. :P

Someone who posts here admitted to deliberately faking his hometown. I'm sure you remember who that was,

coozer

Simple. Because the stated motivation of the shooter was race, not religion.