ryoder

Rand Paul Is Filibustering the "Patriot" Act

http://www.vice.com/read/rand-paul-is-filibustering-the-patriot-act-right-now-vgtrn

Kudos to Paul!!!

Live updates: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2015/may/20/rand-paul-senate-filibuster-nsa-spying-patriot-act-live
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Atta Boy! . . . . Still not voting for you for prez, but WTG.V
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I read that if he was able to go to 12:01 it would allow another day of discussion, which is what he wanted. Technically he could have the floor until 1 or 2 am iirc, but all that was needed to allow it was for him to talk till 12:01 for the second day of talks to automatically kick in.

Do you want this to be renewed? With your attitude it seems like it. I'm don't care who stands up for this from any party its a good thing to not let this renew.

cvfd1399

Didn't they need to go till 12:01?

That was what I read soon after it started.
All I can figure is he was anxious to not miss any more of Lettermans last show.;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

quade

***Didn't they need to go till 12:01?

To do what?

The "filibuster" wasn't practical, simply symbolic. It never had a chance of actually stopping anything.

Correct. It's from the Bernie Sanders school of political theater. Do a "filibuster" that isn't a filibuster. Make everyone go "Yeah yeah" as you fill it with populist sentiment. And cash in on the political capital.

Time to end the dual track rules. Make a filibuster mean something and have a political risk.

Note: I wholly support the e D of the Patriot Act. But I would prefer that it not just be a reason for political theater

My wife is hotter than your wife.

lawrocket

******Didn't they need to go till 12:01?

To do what?

The "filibuster" wasn't practical, simply symbolic. It never had a chance of actually stopping anything.

Correct. It's from the Bernie Sanders school of political theater. Do a "filibuster" that isn't a filibuster. Make everyone go "Yeah yeah" as you fill it with populist sentiment. And cash in on the political capital.

Time to end the dual track rules. Make a filibuster mean something and have a political risk.

Note: I wholly support the e D of the Patriot Act. But I would prefer that it not just be a reason for political theater

+1

cvfd1399

Do you want this to be renewed? With your attitude it seems like it. I'm don't care who stands up for this from any party its a good thing to not let this renew.

If you have any notion that I want the "Patriot" act renewed, you truly know nothing about me nor my politics.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***Do you want this to be renewed? With your attitude it seems like it. I'm don't care who stands up for this from any party its a good thing to not let this renew.

If you have any notion that I want the "Patriot" act renewed, you truly know nothing about me nor my politics.

It's a lot closer to I hate whatever the republicans do even if it is good for everyone.:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

******Do you want this to be renewed? With your attitude it seems like it. I'm don't care who stands up for this from any party its a good thing to not let this renew.

It's a lot closer to I hate whatever the republicans do even if it is good for everyone.:P

And again, if anyone believes that, they are simply wrong. I believe a good idea is a good idea regardless of where it comes from. I believe bad actions are bad actions regardless of where they come from.

I will admit, my notion of a good idea and a good action might be in disagreement with some others, but it it has zero to do with whether the person has an R or D associated with their name.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

*********Do you want this to be renewed? With your attitude it seems like it. I'm don't care who stands up for this from any party its a good thing to not let this renew.

And again, if anyone believes that, they are simply wrong. I believe a good idea is a good idea regardless of where it comes from. I believe bad actions are bad action regardless of where it comes from.

I will admit, my notion of a good idea and a good action might be in disagreement with some others, but it it has zero to do with whether the person has an R or D associated with their name.

I wish I could bold the smiley.[:/]

The Patriot Act was a vile power grab given life via political theater. So I have no real problem with it dying by the same sword.

Andy9o8

The Patriot Act was a vile power grab given life via political theater. So I have no real problem with it dying by the same sword.

I have no problem with it dying. Or being killed. But it isn't killed by wielding a Nerf sword. Rand Paul just did a campaign speech.

lawrocket

I have no problem with it dying. Or being killed. But it isn't killed by wielding a Nerf sword. Rand Paul just did a campaign speech.

Oh, no doubt. He uses the filibuster well, as he has before, to get himself every politician's life-blood: lots of publicity. And it costs him nothing. Smart tactic.
He's still an aspergery little weirdo.

Anyone catch Ted Cruz citing "The Blues Brothers"?:D
I saw it live last night, but don't find a video, however here is an article mentioning it:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2015/05/21/meet-the-blues-brothers-of-the-senate/

Andy9o8

Oh, no doubt. He uses the filibuster well, as he has before, to get himself every politician's life-blood: lots of publicity. And it costs him nothing. Smart tactic.
He's still an aspergery little weirdo.

As I said, it worked to perfection for Bernie Sanders.

quade

***Do you want this to be renewed? With your attitude it seems like it. I'm don't care who stands up for this from any party its a good thing to not let this renew.

Ok I took it as you were pissed at him for even trying a "silly fillibuster". Even if it was just publicity for himself, or just a silly stall tactic it still made TONS of news and brought MILLIONS of people to read about whats going on, which is a good thing in my book to try to end this thing.

Look at how successful a simple heads up link is on a place like reddit.com over things like net neutrality, cooperate monopolies, shitty companies like comcast, etc. A link about whats going on behind the curtain is seen by millions of users, and the word spreads, emails, phone calls, and letters are written, and it generally has a favorable measurable impact on the topic that was brought to everyone's attention.

If even something like that was the only thing accomplished by this filibuster, or any of them its a win in my opinion. :)