Coreeece

Vets...was your service in vain?

I believe my time in the military was the most meaningful period of my life. It set the foundation upon which are future decisions were made. Some of those were good and some bad. One of my biggest mistakes was to choose not to stay in for 20.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Coreeece

Thank You...

Nope not in vain at all... I made a difference.

Like Ron, sometimes I regret not staying for 20 but I wanted my college degree and my unit made that impossible to do while still serving.
But getting out and then having to deal with the VA was one of the most frustrating experiences of my life... so much so that I only used my GI Bill for education.... every last red cent.
I did not use the benefit to buy a home.. I was done with that bullshit... and pray I never have to deal with them for health issues... EVER. The way they have treated vets who do need health services is criminal... they have to do better.... a LOT better.>:(>:(

Amazon

I did not use the benefit to buy a home.. I was done with that bullshit... and pray I never have to deal with them for health issues... EVER. The way they have treated vets who do need health services is criminal... they have to do better.... a LOT better.>:(>:(

my service was meaningful - to me, and the org I worked in

afterwards:
We used a VA loan on our first house - it went smooth enough though quite a bit of useless administrivia though IMO - so grateful that we didn't have to do that for our next house though. The commercial loan process is much easier/friendlier

Health care - I agree, I never want to have to deal with them for health issues - ever - government control of healthcare....

the exit interview process.......everything needed to get you out was streamlined and easy - everything that was a pre-requisite to getting VA benefits after you left? it was designed to create confusion and a 'what the fuck' attitude and just have everyone give up and not get all their applications in place. I have no doubt it was on purpose - shameful and disgusting

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

But getting out and then having to deal with the VA was one of the most frustrating experiences of my life... so much so that I only used my GI Bill for education.... every last red cent.
I did not use the benefit to buy a home.. I was done with that bullshit... and pray I never have to deal with them for health issues... EVER.

So your saying government run healthcare is....bad? I thought they were the experts, and we need to trust them on this....

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Anvilbrother

I did not use the benefit to buy a home.. I was done with that bullshit... and pray I never have to deal with them for health issues... EVER.

So your saying government run healthcare is....bad? I thought they were the experts, and we need to trust them on this....

The healthcare while in the military was not so bad but when I left in 1979 after 8 long years.... the military and the VA especially was at an all time low moral wise after the debacle of the SE Asian War Games coming to a close. Thousands of vets were dying from crap that happened in SE Asia.... I watched several Ranch Hands die of cancer in front of my eyes. There are many many thousands of vets who died in Vietnam and never realized it till the late 70's and 80's... but their names are not on THE WALL.

The VA like all government agencies need to have accountability to keep them honest... but you knew that.

Here in the Denver area, the VA seems bent on breaking records for cost over runs on building a hospital: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/va-building-projects-riddled-with-mistakes-and-cost-overruns/2015/04/13/e66279b4-d4b9-11e4-a62f-ee745911a4ff_story.html
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Here in the Denver area, the VA seems bent on breaking records for cost over runs on building a hospital: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/va-building-projects-riddled-with-mistakes-and-cost-overruns/2015/04/13/e66279b4-d4b9-11e4-a62f-ee745911a4ff_story.html

Here in Washington state we have two senators who are holding the VA's feet to the fire..... one of them worked as a candy striper in VA hospital when she was young... walking the walk.

DanG

Question way too broad.

In vain in what way? Politically, personally? What are you really asking?

I meant it to be from a political perspective...but I'm glad I left it open to interpretation.

I was originally going to edit the question to make the clarification, but somebody had already voted...
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Yours is not to question why...

If anyone deployed overseas thinking they were going to change the world, then I suggest they watch fewer superhero movies. My service was exactly that, service. The world isn't safe for goodness and light because I served, but I had no preconceived expectation that it would be.

The wheels of war have always turned, and they always will. All we can do is serve honorably and to the best of our ability.

- Dan G

BIGUN

"It was the best of times; it was the worst of times."

~Tale of Two Cities.

It was, all though the longer that I'm out, the better it seems to have been. I also had the good fortune of serving during a time of peace. (For the most part)

Coreeece

This video is amazing! The best part is how is reinforces my pride in my country. It reminds me that my team is the best, and I'm from the best place.

It takes a complex topic like war, and shows the parts that I like to see, and the parts that make me feel good about myself.

It also shows how easy it is to mistakenly kill innocent civilians. I mean that bitch was wearing some terrorist outfit, she didn't even stop when they told her to. It's really no wonder we had to kill hundreds of thousands of those rag heads, LOL.

But most importantly, it tells a sad story. A sad story always hits home, and nothing gets my nationalist pride going like a tear jerker. It's the people that look like me! I can relate to them, and they are the heroes! And it has a really emotional sound track also by people that also look like me.

I would love to see more videos like this, could you please post some more? Let's get the pride going strong today!