promise5

Woman fails crucial test for FDNY is still passed.

If you're already doing the job, you've proven you can physically do the job, therefore (perhaps) this is why continual (annual, semi-annual, whatever) evaluation is not done.

But then you're back to the same two issues, 1) is the test a fair representation of the job requirement? And 2) if the test is designed to simulate a worst case scenario then being able to do the job day to day won't necessarily mean that you are still able to perform on the really, really bad days.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I disagree, if like you say they are not retesting them ever again, then they should set the initial standard even higher.

Since they won't be retested, they need to start off at almost superhuman ability, that way when they age and their abilities decline they can still do the job

I think the initial test is more to determine whether you'll be able to complete the training.

Maybe, or maybe it is just a nice barrier to entry cloaked as a test.

If you're already doing the job, you've proven you can physically do the job, therefore (perhaps) this is why continual (annual, semi-annual, whatever) evaluation is not done.

Meh, the majority of the job is not running into burning buildings and dragging people up stairs and out of them. Those are relatively rare scenarios. So if a firefighter does the regular day to day stuff, it still doesn't mean he can drag that body up the stairs in a burning building.

Which means we are back to the test not meaning much.

Where I live, it's all volunteer. One little community has a VFD of three! We have men and women fire fighters and they are an amazing group of people. We have some of the roughest country around and they get the job done. I've watched them in action during some of the nastiest fires I've ever seen. All I can say is thank you for what you do. Be safe!

Chuck

Doesn't matter if it is reviewed. If not meeting the standard has no influence on whether you keep the job, the review is useless.

Not necessarily, peer pressure is a HUGE thing in the fire service. When you do these reoccurring annual tests no matter if it has bite or not it is an all out competition to see who can get the best time, and coming in last or failing is something you dont want to do. There are people who will almost hurt themselves to do better than the next guy. Also knowing that you have to be in good enough shape to save yourself or your brother in a mayday situation so you can go home to your family is always in our minds.

Let me go through a normal day with you. Shift starts at 0700, you show up fully dressed shaved, and have your gear pen, paper and radio ready to go. You have a shift change with the crew before you about anything thats broken, or anything that you need to know. Right after that is radio test where you check all the radios with communications. Then starts truck checks. We have hard copies of paper with everything on the truck. I talking hundreds of things to check all the way down to the gas card hanging from the blinker. After you check between 2-5 trucks in that manner we have weekly duties that we do like today you have to change all the ice and water in the coolers, clean all windows in the station (110 sides of a window if you need to know) then you have your station duties. This includes a top to bottom dusting, wiping counters, and furniture, sweeping, mopping, cleaning the bathrooms and toilets. Then is the outside duties where you put up the flag, bring in the garbage cans, police the yard for trash, then blow off the parking lot. That usually takes till lunch to get done. After lunch at about 1300hours we are mandated by our rating to complete 3 hours of training. That takes you until 1600 if you do not have any calls in between which is when we eat supper before rush hour traffic. Around 1900 hours we do night duties, which includes taking out the trash, wiping the counters emptying and loading the dishwasher, and washing machine, sweep and vacuum the rugs, and wipe down the trucks inside and out. We usually retire around 2200 where we try to sleep inbetween calls for the rest of our 24 hour shift. I did not include annual things that we have to do that is divided up monthly for us to complete. This is preplans where we go out with our ipads and inspect every business in our area checking fire extinguishers, contact information, and the drawing of the building is correct. The other thing is checking hydrants where we go to every hydrant open it up to flush it out, check the gaskets, grease the threads and apply weed killer. Next on the list is hose test where we have to test 22,400 feet of hose plus the spare on the racks, this takes us all year and is non stop. In between that you have quarterly evaluations where you have your two minute drills where you put on your gear and airpack in under two minutes, the pump evaluation where you go through a drill setting up a truck to pump and emergency situations, the extrication drill where you set up the jaws of live, airbags, struts, and scene lighting, and the AED evaluation where you show them how to apply an AED to someone. This doesn't even include keeping up with your certifications that require continuing education like EMT, Blue card command, Pro Board safety, driver training, etc etc.

So clearly its not what we do all day, its what we are prepared to do at 3am after doing all that stuff on a 24 hour shift. Kind of like the on call IT person who comes in and presses a few buttons for a couple hundred bucks. Your not paying for the button pressing but the knowledge and availability to know what button to press, and to be there on time.

Edit forgot to add that most departments like mine who are a class 3 up to a class 1 SAVE you more money than it cost you in property tax, and service fee by lowering your insurance rating and costing you less on your home insurance. So for instance for your size of a home it might cost you $2000 in home insurance, and $500 in property/service fee per year with our class 3 rating, but if we were a 10 and had a crappy fire department you would be paying $5000 per year for that same home insurance.

Im in a hurry to get to a funeral, so im not gonna go back and read this, I guarantee spellin' errors'

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Andy9o8

They must climb six flights of stairs, stretch hose lines, raise ladders, perform tasks that simulate breaking doors and pulling down ceilings, and drag dummies through tunnels with no visibility.

I would have hoped they'd be willing to drag anybody, not just those with disabilities.

Why are they required to drag liberals through tunnels with no visibility?
They already have blinders on! I think it's partyist.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun