jclalor

Patriotism and Fox News

As repugnant as the act may be, desecrating the flag is protected speech. I think what she did while in uniform was much more disgraceful.

I thought not complying with the orders of LE was suffiecent enough to get you at least pepper sprayed in the south. I guess being a white female in Georgia you get cut a little slack. The police declined to press charges? WTF is that?

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/04/19/air-force-veteran-detained-after-stopping-protesters-walking-american-flag

You lost me, what did she do in uniform?

I have never seen anyone desecrate the flag. If I did, I would probably end up in jail or in hospital.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

jclalor

As repugnant as the act may be, desecrating the flag is protected speech. I think what she did while in uniform was much more disgraceful.

(bolding mine)

Where did you read she was in uniform while doing this? I hadn't seen that.

And I agree with the first sentence above. As shitty a thing as it is to do, the douchebags who did it were allowed to do it.
--
Rob

RonD1120

If I did, I would probably end up in jail or in hospital.

vigilantism is childish and illegal

no one is impressed with a male that can't maintain self control. let alone someone that brags about how they lose control

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

You are right of course, but some things just piss me off. As my father used to say, "Some people won't say shit if they had a mouthful."
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

I have never seen anyone desecrate the flag. If I did, I would probably end up in jail or in hospital.

She did a photo spread for Playboy back in 2007 or 2008. I can't stand American douchebags that walk all over the US flag, but confronting them wasn't the best idea. She's a media-whore in a way, trying to get attention this way.
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

RonD1120

You are right of course, but some things just piss me off. As my father used to say, "Some people won't say shit if they had a mouthful."

Well, in this case, they aren't trampling on "The" flag. they are trampling on 'A" flag.

If it was the protestors' private property, she was wrong.

If they took a flag from someone else, or from a public mount, then the protesters are wrong.

People have the right to do whatever they want with their private property, no matter how distasteful it is to me or anyone else. NO matter how stupid or ignorant or childish the people are, in trying to communicate their message, they deserve to be protected from theft.

The rights that the flag is a 'symbol' for includes our private property rights just as much as anything else. She needs a lesson on 'everything' the nation is based on, not just self righteous emotional reaction gratification (same as the stupid tantrum that the protestors were conducting).

What she did, IMHO, is just as mis-informed as what the protesters were doing.

Free speech should be something constructive and useful. "Symbolic" free speech is the outlet of the lazy and misinformed. I didn't see anyone here in the video worth paying attention to, frankly. Maybe the cop doing his job....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

RonD1120

And after we now know that she was a disgrace to the Armed forces of the United States, having been demoted for cheapening the sacrifice made by men and women in uniform, this is how Fax interviews her?

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4186627894001/vet-detained-for-stopping-protesters-desecration-of-us-flag/?playlist_id=921261890001#sp=show-clips

rehmwa

"Symbolic" free speech is the outlet of the lazy and misinformed.

Right, and if it incites enough violence it might be outlawed or at least banned on college campuses...
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Coreeece

***"Symbolic" free speech is the outlet of the lazy and misinformed.

Right, and if it incites enough violence it might be outlawed or at least banned on college campuses...

It's the norm at college campuses. it won't be banned. "I'm really upset about something, I'm not sure what, and I have ZERO cogent discussion to go with it and what I think I understand has nothing to do with real societal problems, but I want to impress people around me that I'm 'aware' and 'passionate' .... so I better do something visceral and insulting to get attention"

nevertheless - the inherent right of people to express themselves must be protected.... even in this way

normiss

Which is the most ironic point of what she did....given she has used the flag in very similar fashion.

Of course, had she tried this in her previous attire, they might have let her take the flag without as much protest.

I thought the most ironic point is that she tried to steal another's private property as a gesture to defend a symbol of what the nation is supposed to stand for. (freedom of thought and expression, private property rights, ability to be represented without bias). pretty much a fail on all points (yes, the founding was protection from the government doing these things and she's an individual.....but the point still holds)

Taking from someone else to try and shore up one's moral positions....very typically something we see a lot in the extremists of both parties...... and I don't think either extreme even tries to stand for our original values one bit.

At Elsinore last week I watched the British Army Red Devils parachute team practicing. On a flag jump the Union Flag dropped on the ground (which is desert dirt in Elsinore). No-one got all upset about it, in fact didn't even attempt to catch it. Had it been a stars and stripes there would have been endless griping.

No-one gets all bent out of shape if the Union Flag or its image is put on bras, panties, bikinis, TP, put on the ground, or burned.

I've never quite understood why Muricans get all bent out of shape over a flag.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It's the norm at college campuses. it won't be banned. "I'm really upset about something, I'm not sure what, and I have ZERO cogent discussion to go with it and what I think I understand has nothing to do with real societal problems, but I want to impress people around me that I'm 'aware' and 'passionate' .... so I better do something visceral and insulting to get attention"

Having been there myself, and then raised my own kids, I think it's a developmental stage. The 18-22 age range is the age at which, intellectually, it all starts to click and one becomes astute enough to read behind the veneer, recgonize bullshit for what it is, and call bullshit on said bullshit. (It's not exclusive to being in college, but college, both in the classroom and in the dorms, helps train people to think more critically than one did while in high school living with the 'rents.)
It's basically the skill of diagnosis, or as lawyers say, "issue identification". But the process is incomplete, for the next stage, after identification, is remediation, i.e., solving the problem. That's a more complex task, requiring more training and experience than most college students have. The result: they bitch about the problem (usually more or less correctly), but they don't yet know how to come up with the answer, so those older than them tend to dismiss them. Then they get revenge by poisoning our food.

kallend

At Elsinore last week I watched the British Army Red Devils parachute team practicing. On a flag jump the Union Flag dropped on the ground (which is desert dirt in Elsinore). No-one got all upset about it, in fact didn't even attempt to catch it. Had it been a stars and stripes there would have been endless griping.

No-one gets all bent out of shape if the Union Flag or its image is put on bras, panties, bikinis, TP, put on the ground, or burned.

Same reason why Americans put ketchup on fries, while Brits put vinegar on chips: independently-developed cultural difference, and it simply is what it is. One man's yummy bacon is another man's abomination. And so it goes.

kallend

As demonstrated time and again, people confuse the thing, with the thing it stands for.

A symbol is simply that, nothing more, nothing less. It is NOT the country.

I understand the youthful indoctrination and brainwashing some people go through which confuses them on the matter, but they are confused none the less.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***I've never quite understood why Muricans get all bent out of shape over a flag.

As demonstrated time and again, people confuse the thing, with the thing it stands for.

I understand the youthful indoctrination and brainwashing some people go through which confuses them on the matter, but they are confused none the less.

For the same reason people get all pissed off about seeing a confederate flag. It is what it represents.

Note also American tradition is that we dip our flag to nobody. Just the way we are.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

lawrocket

******I've never quite understood why Muricans get all bent out of shape over a flag.

For the same reason people get all pissed off about seeing a confederate flag. It is what it represents.

Imagine you were Jewish and there was a Nazi flag flying over a state capitol building.

So, yeah, I understand why some people get upset about a confederate flag flying over a government building, since the government probably shouldn't be flying symbols of oppression.

That said, individuals who choose to, while I personally find repugnant, it's their flag. If they want people to know they're assholes; who am I to say they can't?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver