skycop

The "Militarization" argument explained.......

No, the kids are seeing an armed presence everywhere we go.
It's frightening.

It's also impossible to properly explain it.

We could do a lot better with a few Andy Griffiths thrown in.
Less shooting, less force, more relationship building.
It's hard to fear the friendly neighborhood policeman when he's ONE OF US.
It's impossible to NOT fear them when they take the military stance against us.
We deserve better.

Military stance, that's quite a jump, but leaps are common here.

Police work is all about relationship building and networking, those who think that doesn't go on constantly are sadly mistaken.

"The police are the people, people are the police" is a great statement at the end of the video.

I've tried to give factual information and the best many can give back are platitudes and regurgitated talking points promoted by a disingenuous media.

I've said over and over there are concerns, cops make mistakes, and there is are distinct differences between the military and the police.

With that said there is the specific threat of military style weapons being used by criminals, two cops were killed yesterday by them. The police have a duty to the public they serve to be prepared and train to respond to these threats.

Again, if it's your kid or you needing the assistance, you'd want the cops to have every tool available.

You said I appear to terrified to do my job.........

Unless you've ever been somewhere where a guy killed his whole family, and you know he is armed with several AK-47's and at least one SKS. And all you have is a 9mm and a shotgun, and you willingly respond and engage that person (among numerous other things). You are not qualified to make that assertion, and the comment shows your ignorance and lack of understanding of the subject............

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

Yet we're not ALL carrying AK's.
:P
How's Philly doing on their relationship building?
St. Louis?
Chicago?
Miami?

My apologies for trying to contribute the single opposing view out of the hundreds of millions of Americans.
:|

Good luck out there.

ETA: Damn. I skipped right over your PA to me.
"and the comment shows your ignorance and lack of understanding of the subject" works both ways my friend.
Keep your head in the sand.:P

ETA: Damn. I skipped right over your PA to me.
"and the comment shows your ignorance and lack of understanding of the subject" works both ways my friend.
Keep your head in the sand.Tongue

The difference is I live it, you pound a keyboard.

I grasp both sides of the issue, you have moments, then back to pounding.

Police with your mindset should not be in the police business IMO.
We're NOT all targets.

My mindset? Take a look at my earlier posts, they are factual and reasonable.

Perhaps you should try it.

Yes, I'm still resisting.

I wouldn't call what your doing resisting, continue pounding away..............

normiss

Police with your mindset should not be in the police business IMO.
We're NOT all targets.

Yes, I'm still resisting.

Until those who are charged with protecting and serving "We the People" have a shift in the mentality of "us vs them.... or the thin blue line... or the sheepdog mentality" they will continue to suffer a loss of support from "We the people" who are fed up with being collateral damage in the "war on _________" or who suffer from other abuses of our constitutional rights.

If they want our support they need to rejoin "We the people"[:/]

I would expect so.
Given that he died in 1984, even an unarmed cop should be able to do that.
He won't resist at all.
Trust me.
He won't be able to raise his hands though, so I'd expect you'll just shoot him.

Your turn.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

FYI: My mother is also deceased and I LOVE LOVE LOVE dead mom jokes.

skycop

I've said over and over there are concerns, cops make mistakes, and there is are distinct differences between the military and the police.

With that said there is the specific threat of military style weapons being used by criminals, two cops were killed yesterday by them. The police have a duty to the public they serve to be prepared and train to respond to these threats.

Just as not all cops are the ones abusing power and killing people at the drop of a hat, not all of the citizenry are armed to the teeth and looking to kill cops.

I know it's easier to step all over the rights of someone if you dehumanize them and pretend they're all out to kill you, but… they aren't.

Hell, if cops would stop crashing their cars and motorcycles they'd have fewer dead officers than if they stopped getting shot.

Again, if it's your kid or you needing the assistance, you'd want the cops to have every tool available.

Ah yes, grenade launchers to save the children. When something is pitched as beingdone "for the children" or is named after someone ("So-and-so's Law"), it's frequently being done that way to play on emotions. Why? Because if you try to appeal to the logical side of people they're rightly say "Wait what? No, that's stupid. Don't do that."
cavete terrae.

wolfriverjoe

Active shooters armed with semi-auto rifles and having tactical plans called for an evolution in response.
It's that simple.

It's not cops acting like soldiers, it's cops responding to a specific threat.

The big (and I mean huge) problem with that is that the cops have the training to react to a specific threat of an active shooter.

But "active shooter" situations are very rare.

And the cops don't seem to reserve that sort of militaristic attitude for those rare situations.
They almost seem to be looking for reasons to use it in other situations.

They ARE looking for reasons to use it. If you don't use what you have, you can't get more of it. "Hey we used SWAT 814 times in Q1" = more budget for SWAT.

"Hey we didn't have any SWAT deployments in Q1" = budget reallocated.
cavete terrae.

You're on a roll with the PA's here today.

Which appears to be acceptable behavior here these days.
Mad

Quit your fucking crying, for fuck sakes. State your opinion and move on if you cant take the mans answer.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Anvilbrother

Better watch it, he has a bigger brother.

Does his bigger brother pun . . . Nah . . . Too easy.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun