BillyVance

Global Warming my ass!

BillyVance

This is what I'm going to be waking up to in the morning in central ALABAMA! This is some bullshit. :S:D

Sissy dog! It's 5F right now, with 30 mph winds. . .
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

***This is what I'm going to be waking up to in the morning in central ALABAMA! This is some bullshit. :S:D

Sissy dog! It's 5F right now, with 30 mph winds. . .

Dude, that's NEBRASKA. Those Cornhuskers are used to that shit. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Dropping through zero right now. Temps (not windchills) down to ten below tonight. Winds are kicking up, windchills going down to twenties below by morning.

Not a good night to be out.
Frostbite on exposed skin in 20 min or so.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

billvon

>You mean there are parts of the country that don't get cold?

Yep. And nowadays there are a lot more of them.

I was passing through Klamath Falls, OR yesterday. In shorts and a tee shirt. Asked a mailman at a park whether it's always like this. He shook his head and said no way. IT's usually in the 20s or 30s with snow and the lake is iced over. He said, "We don't even know what to do in weather like this."

As of now, people are shocked when it doesn't get cold. Some day this ridiculously resilient ridge is going to dissipate and normal weather patterns will result here. And it'll get cold. And people won't be surprised so much at they will be relieved at a return to old times.

That mailman's reaction really stuck with me. Something about how genuine it was. I mean, the weather was beautiful, but he didn't like it. It's rather interesting to see that there have been record highs and record lows (places in Missouri had all time record lows).

The eastern US and Western US have been like two different planets weatherwise the last few winters. But I don't think it's a smart thing to minimize what is going on elsewhere. As warm as it is here, it is dangerously and deadly cold elsewhere.

As another note: I wonder what is going on with utility bills in the Eastern US. I wonder whether people recognize that greenhouse gases are causing these cold temps and deciding not to use energy to keep alive. Maybe they are committing mass suicide by staying warm with fossil fuels.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

One thing that is convincing me is the spread of the pine beetle.

It is kept in check by severe cold. Temps that go well below zero for a day or two will kill off many of them.

If it doesn't get that cold, the beetles don't get killed. They spread, and kill off a lot of trees.

Which is what seems to be happening.

There are almost certainly other factors at play, but the lack of sever cold spells to kill it off seems to be one of the bigger ones.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

billvon

>You mean there are parts of the country that don't get cold?

Yep. And nowadays there are a lot more of them.

Well here in California we are suffering too. I actually had to put the top up on my convertible because it rained last week.:P

wolfriverjoe

It is kept in check by severe cold. Temps that go well below zero for a day or two will kill off many of them.
If it doesn't get that cold, the beetles don't get killed. They spread, and kill off a lot of trees.

Exactly! You realize, of course, that it's all part of the War On Christmas, don't you? Squint, and you'll see it.

wolfriverjoe

Which is what seems to be happening.

There are almost certainly other factors at play, but the lack of sever cold spells to kill it off seems to be one of the bigger ones.

Oh, I agree. There are other factors at play. Warmer weather is part of it. As is an excess food supply and unnatural amount of vegetation and litter because people spent that last century and a half trying to prevent and put out forest fires because the science is settled that forest fires are bad.

It's been a perfect storm. Nature moves in to clean out forests when man wouldn't let nature do it. What happens when man stops another natural process? Goddammit we will not let a forest have a fire or insects or anything else kill off old growth and let new growth in. Only old growth is allowed.

We have to learn sometimes to let nature be nature.

My wife is hotter than your wife.