RMK

“Shootin Irons” – Daily Accidental Shooting

Not toddlers this time; it's their dogs.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/18/dog-shoots-man-wyoming_n_6348650.html

It’s not surprising that in the US some Billy Bob Redneck has left a loaded gun near a dog romping about and been accidentally shot:

What’s more interesting is that it’s not really an uncommon occurrence. The article links to other instance (click to story on Florida incident) then references a story on similar Utah incident.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

RMK

It’s not surprising that in the US some Billy Bob Redneck has left a loaded gun near a dog romping about and been accidentally shot:

What’s more interesting is that it’s not really an uncommon occurrence. The article links to other instance (click to story on Florida incident) then references a story on similar Utah incident.

Here we go again with the off handed happens all the time statements

:S
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Search how many instances of dogs accidentally shooting people in Europe - you won't find any.

I just saw 5 separate examples in the US in just a few clicks.

RMK

Search how many instances of dogs accidentally shooting people in Europe - you won't find any.

Ok
5 is all the time in your world I guess
However
I did take a quick look
Did you read any of those stories?
The reason I ask is one story talks about a police dog finding a gun in a snow bank and setting it off

Oh
And I could care less about Europes experiences with guns
They can do what ever the hell her people let her do
Abraham Lincoln

SkyDekker

What they don't do is kill eachother so much.

Of course
Europe is perfect (in the eyes of liberals)
But, in reality, your statement is not all that true
Abraham Lincoln

RMK

RMK......aaaaah I would guess there are many more hunter hours spent in the field hunting than in Europe. It would seem to me if that is the case, (I'm just guessing here) it would coincide that more accidents would happen with more hunting
Also, from what I understand (never hunted Europe myself) hunting is very limited to private estates and clubs. From what I have heard they are quite expensive and quite regulated. So Billy Bob redneck probably would not be allowed to hunt there, or could afford to. If a exclusive club member were to have an accident ( a lord, or someone) I highly doubt that the commoners would ever hear about it. All pure speculation on my part.
Accidents happen in all pursuits in life. Heck, in a duck boat on icy waters and big waves by yourself trying to pull your dog into the boat would be a perfect example of being distracted and forgetting. But overall I'm surprised how few accidents happen hunting each year. Yes......one accident is too many.

RMK

And your point is?

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

RMK

yep nothin but rednecks and racist here :S
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

SkyDekker

What they don't do is kill each other so much.

Maybe not recently, but it does not appear to be universally true.

From the impressions I got at Ypres, Verdun, Normandy and the Balkans, it seems that Europeans have demonstrated a finely honed talent for killing each other.

Admittedly, it's a lot more fun to be there when everyone's getting along.

RMK

BTW
To many (me included) being called Billy Bob Redneck is a compliment
At least rednecks have honor
Abraham Lincoln

RMK

If you're talking about following the Florida story link in your article you might want to read more carefully as one of the examples was in France.

In any event, calling this "not really an uncommon occurrence" is absurd.

rushmc

Of course

Europe is far from perfect, however in the last 20+ years living here, I've never once thought I was in danger of someone pulling a gun on me. I've actually had a gun pulled on me in the US.

The primary point is to highlight the fact that such an idiotic event is a result of the laissez-faire approach to firearms and firearm safety in the US. Getting shot by a two-year child or a dog seems to be something America is “we’re Number 1” in.

What does liberal/conservative have to do with a getting shot by a dog? I’m guessing in your mind Obama is somehow at fault for accidental shootings by dogs.

RMK

Of course

Europe is far from perfect, however in the last 20+ years living here, I've never once thought I was in danger of someone pulling a gun on me. I've actually had a gun pulled on me in the US.

The primary point is to highlight the fact that such an idiotic event is a result of the laissez-faire approach to firearms and firearm safety in the US. Getting shot by a two-year child or a dog seems to be something America is “we’re Number 1” in.

What does liberal/conservative have to do with a getting shot by a dog? I’m guessing in your mind Obama is somehow at fault for accidental shootings by dogs.

Doesnt highlight anything except for weird things happen
BTW
I have lived in the US all my live
Almost 60 years
Never been in fear of a gun being pulled on me nor has one ever been pulled on me
ONCE, I wished I had a gun with me but it turned out alright

Was it law inforcement that pulled one on you here?

And generally speaking, liberals hate gun ownership so much they will grab at anything to try and push a ban agenda
You know
Be more like Europe

And why did you bring Obama into this?
Abraham Lincoln

RMK

Billy Bob Redneck

classy,

it's a lot like throwing out 'frogs', or 'towelheads', it really sets the stage

even more so, it's a true example of how to be sensitive, open minded, and tolerant. Certainly it'll open the minds of others that you are intelligent and well spoken and your ideas are worthy of serious consideration even if it comes from a different perspective than they are raised with.

It's nice when people try to open doors instead of just trying desperately to feel superior (yes, I get the irony of actually typing this sentence)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rushmc

Almost 60 years

That’s the core of the problem with your worldview. I lived in the US for over 15 years – South and North. I also lived for a few years in Asia.

Think of the thought behind the quote:

"What do they know of England who only England know" - Rudyard Kipling

Your viewpoint of a country is much more insightful if you’ve seen it both as an insider and outsider.

People saying they’re not scared, when they have to keep guns in their vehicle, bedsides and under their pillows? They’re scared of something.

I’m not totally against guns. I’ve owned several semi-autos when I lived in the US. I just don’t think it makes for pleasant society if every halfwit with $200 in his pocket can carry one.

Be careful with them "shootin irons"

[Arkansas Democrat Gazette]:”Two local men were injured when their pickup truck left the road and struck a tree near Cotton Patch on State Highway 38 early one Monday. Thurston Poole, 33, of Des Arc, and Billy Ray Wallis, 38, of Little Rock, were returning to Des Arc after a frog-gigging trip. On an overcast Sunday night, Poole’s pickup truck headlights malfunctioned. The two men concluded that the headlight fuse on the older-model truck had burned out. A replacement fuse was not available, but Wallis noticed that the 22 caliber bullet from his pistol fit perfectly into the fuse box next to the steering-wheel column. Upon inserting the bullet the headlights again began to operate properly, and the two men proceeded eastbound toward the White River Bridge. After traveling approximately 20 miles, and just before crossing the river, the bullet apparently overheated, discharged, and struck Poole in the testicles. The vehicle swerved sharply right, exiting the pavement and striking a tree. Poole suffered only minor cuts and abrasions from the accident, but will require extensive surgery to repair the damage to his testicles, which will never operate as intended. Wallis sustained a broken clavicle and was treated and released. ‘Thank God we weren’t on that bridge when Thurston shot his balls off, or we might both be dead,’ stated Wallis. ‘I’ve been a trooper for 10 years in this part of the world, but this is a first for me. I can’t believe that those two would admit how this accident happened,’ said the investigating officer. On being notified of the wreck, Lavinia Poole (Poole’s wife – the other half of any offspring’s genome) asked how many frogs the boys had caught and whether anyone had gotten them from the truck!

RMK

Almost 60 years

That’s the core of the problem with your worldview. I lived in the US for over 15 years – South and North. I also lived for a few years in Asia.

Think of the thought behind the quote:

"What do they know of England who only England know" - Rudyard Kipling

Your viewpoint of a country is much more insightful if you’ve seen it both as an insider and outsider.

People saying they’re not scared, when they have to keep guns in their vehicle, bedsides and under their pillows? They’re scared of something.

I’m not totally against guns. I’ve owned several semi-autos when I lived in the US. I just don’t think it makes for pleasant society if every halfwit with $200 in his pocket can carry one.

I dont have the problem with a world view
You do
I really do not give a damn what you think of me or this country

And of course gun owners are hafwits
and you think yourself who gets to tell us who the haflwits are
Good day sir
Abraham Lincoln

You know that's an 'urban myth', right?

Not true, according to Snopes

And the Discovery show, "Mythbusters" demonstrated that the heavier bullet won't go much of anywhere, while the lighter brass case will often fly a fair distance, if ammunition is put in a fire. Neither has enough velocity or energy to do much damage. The burning of the gunpowder has to be contained and directed to produce any real damage.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

You know that's an 'urban myth', right?

Yes, just winding them up and adding a little levity to our political discourse.

From what started as a "dog shooting gun" thread is probably now only a post or two from World War II references.