BillyVance

Marine's message to ISIS "Come and get me"

BillyVance

Reminds me of:

"There are some who, uh, feel like that, you know, the conditions are such that they can attack us there. My answer is: bring 'em on. We got the force necessary to deal with the security situation." - George W. Bush, July 2, 2003

That was ill-advised too. How many Americans died?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) 5/26/06 - President George W. Bush admitted on Thursday that his bellicose "bring 'em on" taunt to Iraqi insurgents was a big mistake, as he and British Prime Minister Tony Blair carefully avoided setting a timetable for removing troops from Iraq.

Meeting at a time when a new Iraqi unity government offers the promise of a way out of an unpopular war that has damaged their standings at home, Bush and Blair were remarkably reflective on some of the grievous mistakes that critics say has intensified anti-American sentiment in the Middle East.

At a joint news conference with Blair, after three years of war that has killed more than 2,400 Americans and thousands of Iraqis, Bush was asked what mistake he most regretted.

The Texan said that he regretted saying "bring 'em on" when responding in July 2003 to a question about the Iraqi insurgency.

BillyVance

Well that was dumb. Unfortunately these guys don't play by the rules - them storming his house is an unlikely situation. I suspect they are the sorts who'd take the easy option and just shoot him in the back somewhere.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

A Congressman with balls?

Never happen, but I appreciate your wishful thinking.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Big difference between a POTUS saying "bring it on" and a United States Marine Congressional Medal of Honor awardee saying "come and get me" even if he said it flippantly.

The man has earned his right to speak his mind by defending and protecting OUR way of life, OUR freedoms. And he fought to protect yours as well.

I cannot even begin to think what he went through in the war zone or what he did to earn the CMOH, but he's all right in my book. You don't like him? Fine. I don't care. I'm sure he doesn't either. :P

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

Big difference between a POTUS saying "bring it on" and a United States Marine Congressional Medal of Honor awardee saying "come and get me" even if he said it flippantly.

The man has earned his right to speak his mind by defending and protecting OUR way of life, OUR freedoms. And he fought to protect yours as well.

Last time I checked we ALL have the right to speak our minds, even when the speech is stupid (thinking of Ted Cruz and Michelle Bachmann here). We didn't need folks killing brown people thousands of miles from here to give us that right, no matter how brave they are.

However, people with a high profile should, in general, be more careful with what they say. And like it or not, a MoH recipient is high profile.

I agree with everything you said.

but I think he was in the mindset that they would show up with guns and think its far more likely they would have some form of IED.

which would put his family/friends/neighbors in a whole lot of jeopardy.

I do hope he has thought of this - after all he went through I personally don't want to see him die to these cowards.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

BillyVance

Well, actually he hasn't. A right is a right, you don't earn it, you simply have it. If you earned it then it would be a privilege, which is kinda different.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

christelsabine

Sounds like an idiotic attention whore to me. :|

Thanks Christel I was searching for the right words.. ;)
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Skyrad

Sounds like an idiotic attention whore to me. :|

Thanks Christel I was searching for the right words.. ;)

If you and Christel did ten seconds of research on Meyer; you'd find he has a history of psychological wounds which has resulted in PTSD, alcoholism, suicide attempts, etc. These have been issues for almost every MoH recipient since the medal was developed.

Having said that, I'm fairly confident that the media lies in wait for anything he says and its not him seeking out the attention. I'm also confident there's more in the military and veterans than not that would say the same thing. We refuse to let piss ants try to instill fear in us. Even when the Army Ranger was beheaded - he had refused to get on his knees... they had to take him down.

I would ask that when the time comes when you have displayed such heroism that people would be more kinder in their words about you. Chances are good that you won't get to display that type of heroism because men like him have.

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with Marine Embedded Training Team 2-8, Regional Corps Advisory Command 3-7, in Kunar Province, Afghanistan, on 8 September 2009. Corporal Meyer maintained security at a patrol rally point while other members of his team moved on foot with two platoons of Afghan National Army and Border Police into the village of Ganjgal for a pre-dawn meeting with village elders. Moving into the village, the patrol was ambushed by more than 50 enemy fighters firing rocket propelled grenades, mortars, and machine guns from houses and fortified positions on the slopes above. Hearing over the radio that four U.S. team members were cut off, Corporal Meyer seized the initiative. With a fellow Marine driving, Corporal Meyer took the exposed gunner's position in a gun-truck as they drove down the steeply terraced terrain in a daring attempt to disrupt the enemy attack and locate the trapped U.S. team. Disregarding intense enemy fire now concentrated on their lone vehicle, Corporal Meyer killed a number of enemy fighters with the mounted machine guns and his rifle, some at near point blank range, as he and his driver made three solo trips into the ambush area. During the first two trips, he and his driver evacuated two dozen Afghan soldiers, many of whom were wounded. When one machine gun became inoperable, he directed a return to the rally point to switch to another gun-truck for a third trip into the ambush area where his accurate fire directly supported the remaining U.S. personnel and Afghan soldiers fighting their way out of the ambush. Despite a shrapnel wound to his arm, Corporal Meyer made two more trips into the ambush area in a third gun-truck accompanied by four other Afghan vehicles to recover more wounded Afghan soldiers and search for the missing U.S. team members. Still under heavy enemy fire, he dismounted the vehicle on the fifth trip and moved on foot to locate and recover the bodies of his team members. Corporal Meyer's daring initiative and bold fighting spirit throughout the 6-hour battle significantly disrupted the enemy's attack and inspired the members of the combined force to fight on. His unwavering courage and steadfast devotion to his U.S. and Afghan comrades in the face of almost certain death reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

If you and Christel did ten seconds of research on Meyer; you'd find he has a history of psychological wounds which has resulted in PTSD, alcoholism, suicide attempts, etc. These have been issues for almost every MoH recipient since the medal was developed.

His heroic invitation (..*a dream come true*..) sounds like he knows how to defend himself and his home. Means, he surely is armed.

Means, an alcoholic, mentally ill ex-soldier is holding arms in hands. Good to know ....

What I said in another thread (.... every idiot is armed ....) seems to fit.

BTW: Someone of the camera guys of the media should have told him how ridiculous he looks with this grandpa-pipe and that book in his hands.

What a heroic behaviour :|

ETA:
Not to talk about the sabre in his hand! Tough combination!

dudeist skydiver # 3105

christelsabine

His heroic invitation (..*a dream come true*..) sounds like he knows how to defend himself and his home. Means, he surely is armed.

Means, an alcoholic, mentally ill ex-soldier is holding arms in hands. Good to know ....

BTW: Someone of the camera guys of the media should have told him how ridiculous he looks with this grandpa-pipe and that book in his hands.

ETA:

It was his attempt at sarcasm and humor. Don't you krauts have any sense of humor? :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

ETA:

It was his attempt at sarcasm and humor. Don't you krauts have any sense of humor? :P

We have.

Is this funny clown armed?

dudeist skydiver # 3105

christelsabine

ETA:

We have.

Are you kidding me? He's a United States Marine. I'm sure he is. He's just not going to announce what he has.

BillyVance

ETA:

We have.

Are you kidding me? He's a United States Marine. I'm sure he is. He's just not going to announce what he has.

Regardless of his record of heroism, given the fact that, as noted above, "he has a history of psychological wounds which has resulted in PTSD, alcoholism, suicide attempts, etc.", I'd think that's cause for some concern.

@ BIGUN:
I looked it up for more than 10 seconds. This hero even is to be found on Wiki ...

.... including the note, that he already lost his job as he's a drinker and mentally unstable.

@ BillyVance:
He should be careful with his sabre, not to cut off important parts of his body ...;)

If a hero or not:
In Germany, nobody ever is capable to (legally) own a gun in case he was previously convicted, has mental problems and: with the history of Mr. Meyer, would ever get a licence for any gun. Our government would provide best medical treatment for its soldiers - but, never allow any of them to legally touch a gun again; but that just us Krauts. It's healthier for all of us.

dudeist skydiver # 3105

christelsabine

- but, never allow any of them to legally touch a gun again; but that just us Krauts. It's healthier for all of us.

and the Belgians. you never know when an urge to roll over Belgium will occur. best to be safe

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

christelsabine

Man, another oldie living in the past. :|

yeah, it kinda sucks when someone in another country wallows about in outdated and unfair nationalistic stereotypes

good thing that never happens on Speaker's Corner

(actually, I think I posted this in the wrong thread, you weren't in that mode on this one.....my bad)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

BIGUN

I'll ask that you respect the man for his heroism and forgive him for his weaknesses.

No problem, I respect his heroism and forgive him for his weakness. That being said, you yourself claim that the man has what sound like pretty substantial psychological issues. Do you think that someone with those kind of issues should be allowed to own firearms just because in the past he did heroic things? Every time there is a mass shooting, the gun control folks say things to the affect of "crazy people shouldn't be allowed to own guns" and the pro gun rights folks say things like "how are we supposed to know if they are crazy before they start shooting up the (insert location of choice here)" So in this case, according to you the man has a documented history of mental illness, regardless of the cause being PTSD from a military deployment, those issues do exist, so should be allowed to walk around armed?
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana