turtlespeed

prediction

Not exactly a stunning prediction or going out on a limb.

That has happened to every two-term president since Eisenhower during the mid-terms of his second term.

That includes Reagan and G.W.Bush.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

That has happened to every two-term president since Eisenhower during the mid-terms of his second term.

But you hat it though.B|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

quade

HA . . . As much as I wish he is completely gone . . . Harry is no longer in charge.

Life is good.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

quade

Even Illinois . . . Obama's home state went the other way.

telling . . . VERY telling . . .

turtlespeed

The seniority of the senate will change.

Reid is out.

what a great night
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Republicans will get some good bills passed and sent to the WH. Then BHO will stonewall or just veto them. Don't expect much change for two more years.

We need to keep a personal record of how much BHO and his bunch screw with Congress. Then use that as evidence to justify removing the Liberal Democrats for the following eight years.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

So which is more important for Congress? To really stick it to the President and the Democrats and show that they're "united," or to try to get some legislation that will be signed passed? Maybe even showing that they're more willing to compromise than the Democrats?

The US is a big ship. Wrenching the rudder from side to side every few years is not an effective way to get anywhere, and it wastes a lot of fuel.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

So which is more important for Congress? To really stick it to the President and the Democrats and show that they're "united," or to try to get some legislation that will be signed passed? Maybe even showing that they're more willing to compromise than the Democrats?

The US is a big ship. Wrenching the rudder from side to side every few years is not an effective way to get anywhere, and it wastes a lot of fuel.

Wendy P.

Well, based on recent history, it will be more important to the Republicans to show that "they are in charge" and that "they will hold the line" on their ridiculous policies.

I expect to see an attempt to repeal Obamacare on the President's desk fairly soon.
Which will be vetoed.
Which will waste a ton of time and money.
For nothing.

Leadership?
Compromise?
Actually accomplishing anything?

Doubtful.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I feel like Hillary Clinton just got fucked over after this election. There is no way she can win now. After 10 years later she'll be too old.

For the next two years, Congress aren't going to do shit. Nothing will get passed. They are just gonna be sitting there collecting their paycheck.

I rather see Jeb Bush than the Rick Perry for the next president. But the reds are thinking of sending out Mitt Romney again right?

Agian, dumbass kids who doesn't know jackshit about politics ruined it 6 years ago. "Yay! Let's vote for Obama, since he is on Facebook and Twitter and all, he must be cool, I don't know nothing about him or politics but yay I vote for Obama, I'm going to vote no on statewide legalization on marijuana and I've heard from someone that Obama will make weed legal!! Obama!!"

Clinton would've had much more power and influence than Obama.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

[Reply]I expect to see an attempt to repeal Obamacare on the President's desk fairly soon.

Noit gonna happen. Not until the courts work it out.

The GOP will eliminate Reid's filibuster rule. But they won't be smart enough to eliminate the dual track filibuster rule. The GOP would be wise to make threat of filibuster painful. It will actually force both sides to actually work together.

Want to filibuster a bill before the Senate? Then everything else stops. Everything. That's how it used to be. Filibuster was a very big political risk. Not any more. Hence, the threat is enough and there is no consequence.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Good post. I wish it could go back to being that way.

We, as a country, have gotten too used to managing everything (companies, health, schooling, nutrition, the whole friggin' country) by "target metrics." Which means that we think that as long as we're hitting those, we're going in the "right" direction.

Of course, that means that people try to hit those metrics, forgetting about the whole "direction" thing. But none of these systems are simple enough to manage via just a few variables.

Quarterly bottom lines don't necessarily mean good companies; pills to fix problems don't necessarily mean good health; good test scores doesn't mean a better educated student body, vitamin pills don't mean good nutrition, and "your party in power" sure as shit doesn't mean that life becomes exactly what you want :S

Most of these things are messy; with more people, more healthcare options, more everything, they get more complicated, not simpler.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

lawrocket

[Reply]I expect to see an attempt to repeal Obamacare on the President's desk fairly soon.

The GOP will eliminate Reid's filibuster rule. But they won't be smart enough to eliminate the dual track filibuster rule. The GOP would be wise to make threat of filibuster painful. It will actually force both sides to actually work together.

Want to filibuster a bill before the Senate? Then everything else stops. Everything. That's how it used to be. Filibuster was a very big political risk. Not any more. Hence, the threat is enough and there is no consequence.

Agreed, well said.

wmw999

Wendy P.

there are over 300 bills passed by the house that the Senate has never debated let alone voted on
With this in mind, what is your recomendation?

BTW, the rudder was so far left we were about to do 360's
Abraham Lincoln

lawrocket

In the end, we the people fare much better when the federal government does not pass any laws

Now, they need to start repealing laws and eliminating depts that write their own regulations
Abraham Lincoln

I agree that a sunset commission (like Texas has) is a good idea. It's harder to eliminate than it is to create, but when you eliminate intelligently, then you don't have additional infrastructure to build on.

I realize you might like starting with DOE or EPA or something like that. Probably a little big to start with. Got any thoughts about smaller ones to start with? Or even ones at a local level (after all, I'm sure there are taxes in Iowa as well).

Wendy P.

wmw999

I agree that a sunset commission (like Texas has) is a good idea. It's harder to eliminate than it is to create, but when you eliminate intelligently, then you don't have additional infrastructure to build on.

I realize you might like starting with DOE or EPA or something like that. Probably a little big to start with. Got any thoughts about smaller ones to start with? Or even ones at a local level (after all, I'm sure there are taxes in Iowa as well).

Wendy P.

I don’t think those should go away per se
I think they need to be pulled in and down sized

Eliminations should start with duplicate programs
There may be up to 5 welfare programs that provide food and shelter. Cut that to one or two and help those able to take care of themselves do so
Granted, the programs left would be bigger to begin with but managing one program and watching the dollars (for fraud) would be easier

Local is more manageable as it is more accountable to the people
The fed is not (at this point anyway)

One thing that bothers me is hearing there has to be compromise or we need to work together
Sorry, that is bs. This system was put into place to be contentious. the less laws passed the better off we are as a people
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

Eliminations should start with duplicate programs
There may be up to 5 welfare programs that provide food and shelter. Cut that to one or two and help those able to take care of themselves do so

Better yet . . . cut welfare programs to corporations.

If an industry is so fragile it can not exist without government assistance programs, then maybe it shouldn't exist at all is what is supposed to be a capitalist society.

Do alway with ALL corporate welfare programs and restructure tax breaks so they encourage companies to HIRE people rather than outsource. That would help get people off the welfare programs Rush is so against.
quade -

quade

***Eliminations should start with duplicate programs

Better yet . . . cut programs to corporations.

If an industry is so fragile it can not exist without government assistance programs, then maybe it shouldn't exist at all is what is supposed to be a capitalist society.

Do alway with ALL corporate welfare programs and restructure tax breaks so they encourage companies to HIRE people rather than outsource. That would help get people off the welfare programs Rush is so against.

I can agree with this AND the other cuts too

Along with all Green company give aways
Abraham Lincoln

One other thing that would encourage keeping jobs in the US is reducing government regulations on them
The EPA would be the first department I would down size

(NOTE: I did not say eliminate the EPA)
Abraham Lincoln

One thing that bothers me is hearing there has to be compromise or we need to work together
Sorry, that is bs. This system was put into place to be contentious. the less laws passed the better off we are as a people

So Republicans and Democrats should not work together?

Regarding the less laws. I thought people were upset there has not been a budget passed, that Democrats were holding onto bills etc?

Sounds like the Democrats were doing exactly what you wanted then?

SkyDekker

So Republicans and Democrats should not work together?

Regarding the less laws. I thought people were upset there has not been a budget passed, that Democrats were holding onto bills etc?

Sounds like the Democrats were doing exactly what you wanted then?

I am not talking about budget work
I am talking about laws

And yes, they are doing what I want
I bring this up becasue to those on the left who love to call the republicans the party of no. when it was really the Dems who were just that
Abraham Lincoln

SkyDekker

ALL corporate welfare programs and restructure tax breaks

Tax breaks for certain behaviour are corporate welfare programs.

No. GIVING money to companies for doing nothing is corporate welfare and there's quite a bit of it.
quade -

But in order for a budget to pass (which framework is governed by budget laws) requires parties to work together. You don't want parties to work together, so how would you get a budget passed?

Or you only want to parties to work together on passing a budget, but nothing else?

And yes, they are doing what I want
I bring this up becasue to those on the left who love to call the republicans the party of no. when it was really the Dems who were just that

Ahh ok, so you don't care if it actually helps the US or not, you are concerned about the reputation of your favourite party. Got it.