mirage62

Why would someone be "proud" of being gay?

The Christian and modern American political right tribes are suffering badly from their obsession about the sex lives of gay people.

OOPS....:P

I support more rights than you currently have and don't understand why you don't have them RIGHT now, but your lumping a whole lot of people into your statement. Many, many Christians and "right tribe" people feel the way I do. A majority - I doubt it - but no reason to blanket the entire group (the right) with that comment. (I don't want to be defensive here - but truthfully for the ones that will just slam the idea that someone on the right that goes to church CAN'T support gay rights I'd ask are you IN a church. I really don't care to hear about the church you went to 20 years ago or your friend that is a Christian that hates gays....)

I suspect that the coming out stories are like skydiving accident stories... the bad ones "I can't stop thinking about the disgusting things you do in bed" get a lot more air time than the understanding and loving stories.

I have a gay sib, with 4 sibs and most of you know none of them (and I cleared this) I have walked the life of a right tribe person. I've grown and changed views - but I am a conservative Christian. I love my sib like nobodies business, there sexual orientation doesn't count for shit compared to all the good stuff they do as a person.

So all I'm suggesting is be careful not to lump a group of people all together....gays don't like it (in a negative term) and neither do us right tribe, Christian. :)
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

My sib found it odd also....but more in line with what other posters have said here. I.E. "proud" that the gay community had come so far. Proud that a man of his position could comfortably "come out"

Still we think a lot alike :P and "proud" is not the word they would chose.

Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

So all I'm suggesting is be careful not to lump a group of people all together....gays don't like it (in a negative term) and neither do us right tribe, Christian

Works for "libs," "Muslims, "atheists" and just about everyone else, too :)
It's a little harder, but in the long run it's much easier to actually think then, isn't it? You can't just believe people, but life is more interesting when you have to think about it.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

RonD1120

I am currently a Church of God Pentecostal. We discuss homosexuality in the same way we discuss alcoholism, drug addiction, adultery and domestic violence.

It's interesting that you think of any extramarital sex in terms of addiction. I mean, you drink a beer every now and then and it doesn't make you an alcoholic, but sleep with the odd guy or gal and it makes you a sex addict?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

You have, over the years, accused me of hatred on several fronts. You are 100% wrong. I do not hate gays. But, you are too, well, you just don't get it. C-ya
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

Those behaviors are equal only in the sense that the Bible defines them as sin.

Genuine curiosity, what does the bible say about alcoholism, drug addiction and domestic violence?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I think you are inferring that I hate religion and that's not true.
I don't follow religion because I will never understand following something that doesn't exist.
What I hate are right wing Christians that spew hatred and vile for everyone that doesn't think like them.
It's actually quite typical.
Just look at our political and judicial systems in this country.
All religious people do is divide.
I can't understand that.

mirage62

I support more rights than you currently have and don't understand why you don't have them RIGHT now, but your lumping a whole lot of people into your statement. Many, many Christians and "right tribe" people feel the way I do. A majority - I doubt it - but no reason to blanket the entire group (the right) with that comment. (I don't want to be defensive here - but truthfully for the ones that will just slam the idea that someone on the right that goes to church CAN'T support gay rights I'd ask are you IN a church. I really don't care to hear about the church you went to 20 years ago or your friend that is a Christian that hates gays....)

So long as Church leadership continues to insist gay marriage, gay life period, is wrong, it's quite fair to generalize Christians in this way.

Now if a majority of the parishioners no longer agree, then they should be changing their leadership.

Well, I belong to the UCC. We are, as a denomination, open to gays fully participating, and being married in the church. We consider ourselves to be Christians, and we believe that God is in charge of judgment.
So, again, actual evaluation is needed. Or don't you consider people who believe that way to be "true Christians" either :|

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hey lets all play a fun game and try to identify the exact moment that we "decided" our sexual preference. A big group of us all sitting around one day having a similar conversation all of us tried to remember that exact moment that we "decided" we were straight. I don't ever remember making that decision. I just always went with what "felt" right to me. Much the same I would be willing to bet gay folks do. I don't "choose" for fireworks to go off in my brain when I kiss a pretty girl, it's a natural reaction inside my brain with absolutely no conscious thought, they just do, and highly likely would not if a man kissed me. I assume gay relationships 'aint any different judging by the conversations I've had with gay friends and associates.

wmw999

Well, I belong to the UCC. We are, as a denomination, open to gays fully participating, and being married in the church. We consider ourselves to be Christians, and we believe that God is in charge of judgment.
So, again, actual evaluation is needed. Or don't you consider people who believe that way to be "true Christians" either :|

Wendy P.

Wendy - no question that several Christian sects have embraced the gay community. But I only need to look back to the passage of Prop 8 in California just a few years ago - it passed on the efforts of clergy across dominations. And like in most of the 30+ states, it took the court to change the law.

We know the Mormons are decided opposed and spending a ton of money against gay rights. The Catholics remain in that camp, though there's great hope with this new Pope. The Protestants run the gambit from ones like your's, to ones that are decidedly not.

mirage62

but your lumping a whole lot of people into your statement

Yeah, yeah, there are exceptions. Hell, I'm an exception. I'm more rightish than leftish too. But the Christians and Righties have a really bad -- but widely earned -- reputation in this area.

Getting tarred and feathered with a wide brush is the cost of joining tribes.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

These are my favorites.

Ephesians 5:18 (NKJV)

18 And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit

Revelation 9:20,21 (NKJV)

20 But the rest of mankind, who were not killed by these plagues, did not repent of the works of their hands, that they should not worship demons, and idols of gold, silver, brass, stone, and wood, which can neither see nor hear nor walk. 21 And they did not repent of their murders or their sorceries or their sexual immorality or their thefts.

Sorcery in Greek is pharmakeia
Strong's Greek Lexicon Search Results

Result of search for "pharmakeia":
5331. pharmakeia far-mak-i'-ah from 5332; medication ("pharmacy"), i.e. (by extension) magic (literally or figuratively):--sorcery, witchcraft.

Ephesians 4:26 (NKJV)
“Be angry, and do not sin”: do not let the sun go down on your wrath,
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

IMO, you apply the word hate too judiciously to what you read. Everything you do not like seems to equate with hate in your reasoning process. You might want to consider this possibility in other areas of your life.

:DWhat would possibly change if I moved back to Colorado?

Have you ever considered that you need mood altering chemicals to practice your lifestyle. That is not just a gay thing. It is the same for heterosexuals. Illicit sex generally requires getting high in some way first. It breaks down inhibitions.

Why do you think people have inhibitions regarding illicit sex?

We know and accept that sexual sin exists. The Bible says that it is wrong because it separates you from your relationship with God. All sin puts you at the center of your existence. When you put Christ at the center you gain your rightful place in relationship with your Creator, your Heavenly Father.

Impulse must be changed to intuition by discipline. ~Oswald Chambers

The righteous life requires self-discipline on a higher level.

What no one seems to understand is that it is not who you have sex with, it is that you are having sex outside of marriage.

However, the Bible does place a specific focus on homosexuality.

Are you white/caucasian Republican male between 40-50, who lives in Tennessee/Kentucky area?

There is no way this guy is from California/New York area.

Just come out and say that you hate fags. Just like these guys,

http://www.godhatesfags.com/

Just live it for what it is dude, you are making all of the other Christians look bad. Extreme radicalism, like these Westbroro church and YOU, make others Christians look craZy. You are one step away from start beheading others, since they don't believe in your fairytale.

Most of the fear comes from the unknown. Deal with more gay/lesbian/black/hispanic/asian/europeans or we can say FUCKING HUMAN BEINGS. You'll be less scared of "them". "Them" being whatever you are scared of. You should be more focus of these home grown terrorist, issue of mental illness, our shitty education system, the fact that Americans don't vote. There are many things that one can focus their energy on than a fucking BIBLE.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016