mirage62

Why would someone be "proud" of being gay?

I think the bigger question is;

Why do you think it is a person feels he has had to keep it relatively quiet and not talk about it until he's reached an age and a level of success far, FAR beyond anything you or I ever will?

The man came out in order to be an inspiration to those who have not yet been able to.

That's why he's "proud" and deservedly so. It says as much right in the original source material for all of this.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

The man came out in order to be an inspiration to those who have not yet been able to.

you (or he?) are missing the point -

Example - A great female athlete is touted as an inspiration to girls everywhere. Bullshit - why can't she be a role model for anyone that wants to be an athlete. Michael Jordan should able to inspire ANY kid that likes basketball. not just boys, not just minorities. etc etc etc.....

If we can't get past that, then these cosmetically targetted role models just emphasis differences in appearance rather than greatness in actions and accomplishments.

It would be so much cooler if he clearly wants to be an inspiration to anyone that wants to be a business success.

we really need a role model of a gay, muslim, libertarian, that likes to wear body armor while nailing partisan leadership to the wall next to baby whales that are huge successes in wind farm manufacturing

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

It would be so much cooler if he clearly wants to be an inspiration to anyone that wants to be a business success.

True! No question.

Then again, being gay just a few years ago, in a lot of businesses, could easily have gotten an employee FIRED just for having that fact known. In fact, it's still legal in a lot of states.

My guess is Tim Cook probably knew that as a young man. He probably had to put up with a lot of that sort of BS.

I'm roughly his age. Not that it's ever been a particular issue for me since I'm not gay, but I recall a time when I was asked flat out about the sexual orientation of some of my co-workers for the purposes of discrimination. And this was in the entertainment industry in southern California.

So . . . yeah . . . even though it in no way applies to me, I totally get his statements.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

rehmwa

***The man came out in order to be an inspiration to those who have not yet been able to.

Example - A great female athlete is touted as an inspiration to girls everywhere. Bullshit - why can't she be a role model for anyone that wants to be an athlete. Michael Jordan should able to inspire ANY kid that likes basketball. not just boys, not just minorities. etc etc etc.....

If we can't get past that, then these cosmetically targetted role models just emphasis differences in appearance rather than greatness in actions and accomplishments.

Because we still aren't at "equality" for much. Women, minorities, GLBT, the list goes on.

I'd love to see the day when none of that matters.

But the fact remains that this year was the first time ever that an openly gay man was drafted to an NFL team.
So it was a big story. And he was "an inspiration for gay athletes everywhere" whether he wanted to be or not.

And how about the Super Bowl in 2006? The first one ever where both coaches were black. It was also the first ever where either coach was black. So, rather ironically, it was the first Super Bowl where the winning coach was black and the first where the losing coach was.

We are certainly a long, long way from where we were just a few decades ago. But we have a long way yet to go.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

> I mean really I would support (not that it matters) "As a gay man I am proud of
>the progress we have made over the last 10 years." for example.

I think that's mostly what they are saying. "I am proud of the progress we have made." "I am proud of what I have done to increase acceptance of homosexuality." "I am proud I had the courage to come out of the closet even though I got the crap beat out of me for it."

I know a few gay skydivers, and they've had to put up with more than the usual ration of shit; it took a bit of courage for them to come out. Good for them.

>They certainly have and continue to it some areas, but what are we up to 30
>states that allow gay marriage (good). Do we really need to continue to debate
>(separate) gays from main stream America?

Well, until that number is 50, there is a need to continue the debate (IMO) - because they are in fact separated by order of the government. Also, being denied the right to marry is far from the only discrimination gays face in the US right now.

Why do you think it is a person feels he has had to keep it relatively quiet and not talk about it until he's reached an age and a level of success far, FAR beyond anything you or I ever will?

Quade, I'm a assuming that when you say "Why do YOU think..." that you aren't meaning me but "you" a generic because I have never ever remotely suggested that.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

Well, until that number is 50, there is a need to continue the debate (IMO) - because they are in fact separated by order of the government. Also, being denied the right to marry is far from the only discrimination gays face in the US right now.

Very true, I believe that many of the other states are on there way. Gays certainly face much discrimination that I as a straight, white male don't have to deal with.

Like what? You don't seem to have left any other avenues open.

Really, well there have been 18 other replies (not counting mine) so while you feel apparently short an avenue of expression others seem ok.

Sorry.

you (or he?) are missing the point

Not him - you. You want everyone to behave like the world is already the utopia you want it to be, but it's not.

Example - A great female athlete is touted as an inspiration to girls everywhere. Bullshit - why can't she be a role model for anyone that wants to be an athlete.

The one is not antithetical to the other - but one is more important* than the other. There are not only far fewer famous female athletes but girls face more active pressure not to excel at sports than boys do. Fact, period, not up for discussion. Being muscly isn't as attractive as being skinny, liking team sports means you must be a lesbian etc. Therefore, each female athlete that breaks through into the cultural consciousness as an example of success is more important to girls than boys.

* If you think sport is important at all. Some people don't

Not enough people can yet. And if there are no positive voices the only people that get heard are the naysayers.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

mirage62

Like what? You don't seem to have left any other avenues open.

Really, well there have been 18 other replies

All saying the same as what you disagreed with in the first reply.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

rehmwa

I'd assert there isn't two options, there's three:

1 - hiding it
2 - not hiding it (I call it 'coming out')
3 - COMING OUT!!!!!!

I'm a fan of #2 - sad for those in #1 - and a bit tired of #3

I think choosing #2 from your list would be something to be proud of.

rehmwa

***The man came out in order to be an inspiration to those who have not yet been able to.

we really need a role model of a gay, muslim, libertarian, that likes to wear body armor while nailing partisan leadership to the wall next to baby whales that are huge successes in wind farm manufacturing

Don't forget driving or putting on their pants.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I'm proud of the gays for fighting for their rights without the incorporation of a federally funded grievance industry.

Is that wrong?:ph34r:

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

JohnnyMarko

Can I play?

Are you proud that you are gay?
Have you participated in any "Gay Pride" activities?

Have you put forth any serious effort to enhance or improve your "Gayness"?
Have you gone out and recruited any straight people and "converted" them to "being gay"?

Note: Johnny is a bit of a joker. He sometimes comes in here and stirs up a bit of shit. He's also openly gay.
The above comments are a joke. I'm pretty certain Johnny will take them that way.

But some folks aren't aware of all the subtexts and previous posting history.

Others just have a stick up their ass and no sense of humor at all.

:P
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

mirage62

Tim Cook, Apple CEO recently said:

Cook says in an essay for Bloomberg BusinessWeek. “So let me be clear: I’m proud to be gay, and I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me.“

I think you did a slight disservice to the thread in missing the sentence he wrote just before this statement. It gives some direct explanation to the proud statement.

“While I have never denied my sexuality, I haven’t publicly acknowledged it either, until now,” said Cook. “So let me be clear: I’m proud to be gay, and I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me.”

His writing this may have been promoted by fatigue over reading/hearing vague questions on the topic that is really irrelevant to his stewardship of Apple.

I'm proud to be gay more in the sense of a complete absence of shame than a sense of positive conceit.

But I'm positively proud to be successfully gay in a world that I guess would sometimes prefer I failed. Other than some early growing pains it's worked out amazingly well! Some of my easy outcome has been environmental and for that I just count myself lucky. But I'm proud of having made good choices and adaptations and executing them well.

I'm proud to be a part of history while gay people are making such headway. I surely won't take a lot of credit as I've lived a quiet life but I've played small parts over the years.

I'm proud to be solidly (gay) married for what anyone has to admit is a long time and a worthy run. My husband and I have been loyal to each other, achieved a lot together, and been through many experiences. Best friends in a hundred ways.

Yeah, I'm proud. I've made a good life out of a dodgy beginning and that's something to be proud of! I'm not so much proud of the fact that I happen to be romantically and sexual oriented towards males but very proud indeed of what I've made out of that.

First Class Citizen Twice Over