rushmc

In Referendum With U.S. Implications, Swiss Voters Reject Single-Payer Health Care 62-38

the Swiss get it right regarding health care
I wish the us would have gotten to vote on it instead of having the Dems shove it down our throats>:(

In a decision with meaningful implications for the future of U.S. health reform, Swiss voters on Tuesday overwhelmingly rejected a proposal to replace their fully privatized health care system with a government-run, single-payer one. Why does this matter for Americans? Because efforts by both Democrats and Republicans to reform U.S. health care have been modeled after the Swiss system. Switzerland offers us a glimpse as to what a popular, market-oriented health-care system could look like.

Many Americans assume that all European countries have single-payer health care systems. That’s not true. They all offer universal coverage—in which health insurance is subsidized for all citizens–but only some of those countries, like the United Kingdom, actually have a system in which private insurers play no meaningful role, because the government serves as the sole insurance company (i.e., the single payer).

I got this from the Forbes sight
You all can pick your own

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&site=&source=hp&q=switzerland+rejects+government+healthcare&oq=switzerland+rejects+government+heal&gs_l=hp.1.0.33i21.1413.19664.0.22511.39.31.2.6.6.0.302.3510.2j22j2j1.27.0....0...1c.1.54.hp..10.29.2866.B_iAm01_a8w
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Now I dont totally agree with this either but it is much much better than what we now have

Switzerland is a model for U.S. health reform

In Switzerland, however, there are no government insurers—only private ones. The Swiss achieve universal coverage by offering means-tested premium-support subsidies, on a sliding scale, for low-income individuals. If you’re really poor, your premium might be fully subsidized. If you’re modestly poor, it might be partially subsidized. If you have above-average income, it won’t be subsidized at all.

This approach has two substantial benefits. First, it means that Swiss citizens don’t have a disincentive to increase their incomes, because federal benefits decline gradually as you go up the income ladder. This is much better than the typical “benefit cliff” approach that discourages work in the United States.

Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

Now I dont totally agree with this either but it is much much better than what we now have

In Switzerland, however, there are no government insurers—only private ones. The Swiss achieve universal coverage by offering means-tested premium-support subsidies, on a sliding scale, for low-income individuals. If you’re really poor, your premium might be fully subsidized. If you’re modestly poor, it might be partially subsidized. If you have above-average income, it won’t be subsidized at all.

This approach has two substantial benefits. First, it means that Swiss citizens don’t have a disincentive to increase their incomes, because federal benefits decline gradually as you go up the income ladder. This is much better than the typical “benefit cliff” approach that discourages work in the United States.

So the government subsidizes those who cannot afford it.

So basically the rich are paying for the poor. So those who are too lazy to make enough money to cover their insurance bill rely on the rich so they can keep their lazy asses on the couch.

What are you, some kind of communist?

SkyDekker

***Now I dont totally agree with this either but it is much much better than what we now have

So the government subsidizes those who cannot afford it.

So basically the rich are paying for the poor. So those who are too lazy to make enough money to cover their insurance bill rely on the rich so they can keep their lazy asses on the couch.

What are you, some kind of communist?

Been going on for decades and as I have stated many times I have no problem helping those who need help

What we have to day is a vote purchase program

Well, more than one of them......

Please continue however
Your emotional rants are fun to say the least
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

the Swiss get it right regarding health care
I wish the us would have gotten to vote on it instead of having the Dems shove it down our throats>:(

You're mad because we don't individually vote on all federal decisions? Sounds like Switzerland is right for you then, but this is how America has operated for well over 200 years.

SkyDekker

What we have to day is a vote purchase program

Today? The whole democratic model is based on a "vote purchase" model. Bread and circusses.

Funny you would think this is a new concept.

No, its not, if done as intended as outlined by the Constitution

That is why liberals hate the Constitution. Because it limits what they love the most, Government
Abraham Lincoln

That is why liberals hate the Constitution. Because it limits what they love the most, Government

How is your model of government different from how it was intended by the consitution?

rushmc

You started this thread with a rant that the people didn't get a chance to vote for Obamacare.

This sort of direct vote by the masses was explicitly what the Framers did not want. They feared pure democracy.

kelpdiver

You started this thread with a rant that the people didn't get a chance to vote for Obamacare.

This sort of direct vote by the masses was explicitly what the Framers did not want. They feared pure democracy.true. Good point. That vote comes again in 33 days
Abraham Lincoln

JerryBaumchen

Hi rush,

the Swiss get it right

When are you moving?

:P

Jerry Baumchen

I not planning on moving. I will work to fix what Obama an the liberals have fucked up her. Interesting how so many have mentioned the Swiss regarding this topic in the past however. Wonder how those that have done this feel about them today?
Abraham Lincoln

I think the Swiss get a lot of things right. Genuine question - are you aware how different Switzerland is to the US on just about every single social and economic indicator?
They also have universal healthcare, and strong subsidies for those less fortunate which is exactly what the ACA is working to provide and the GOP is resisting.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Stumpy

I think the Swiss get a lot of things right. Genuine question - are you aware how different Switzerland is to the US on just about every single social and economic indicator?
They also have universal healthcare, and strong subsidies for those less fortunate which is exactly what the ACA is working to provide and the GOP is resisting.

No. It is not the same thing. Not even close. And the left is still shooting for single payer. That which the Swiss just rejectef
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

***I think the Swiss get a lot of things right. Genuine question - are you aware how different Switzerland is to the US on just about every single social and economic indicator?

No. It is not the same thing. Not even close. And the left is still shooting for single payer. That which the Swiss just rejectef

Switzerland has an individual mandate requiring its citizens to purchase health insurance,

And in 2010, Obamacare, borrowing from Romneycare, used the same Swiss model to offer private-sector health coverage to individuals with incomes between one and four times the Federal Poverty Level: in 2014, $11,670 for a childless adult.

Yep completely different.

:S
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Rush, you simply have no idea what you are talking about. You have picked up a talking point or two at some right wing website or talkshow and are repeating them here.

Everytime you are asked to substantiate any of your claims, you either ignore it, or answer with some off topic one liner, generally in the spirit of "I know what you are, but what am I".

Good for you for having strong beliefs and convictions. Nothing wrong with that, but it would be great if you could substantiate them somewhat beyond the standard talking points.

SkyDekker

Good for you for having strong beliefs and convictions. Nothing wrong with that, but it would be great if you could substantiate them somewhat beyond the standard talking points.

No can do, SD... That's illegal in our country. Only parroting of the approved party line is permissible.

I got this from the Forbes sight

What's a Forbes sight? I've heard of nearsighted and farsighted, but not Forbes sighted.

You all can pick your own

OK, I pick this one:"Switzerland rejects single-payer, will keep its own version of Obamacare".

Note that none of the articles in your Google list said anything close to "Swiss reject government subsidized health care, adopt Republican fantasy of health care only for the wealthy".

Don

What's a Forbes sight? I've heard of nearsighted and farsighted, but not Forbes sighted.

Forbes sighted is a lot like Fox sighted or Blaze sighted. You have to squint real hard to see anything that isn't being ruined by Obama.

- Dan G

The ACA is working, unemployment is at 6.1, the economy is growing. Obama is doing a fine job.

So, will there be a going away party before you move to another country?
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

DanG

Forbes sighted is a lot like Fox sighted or Blaze sighted. You have to squint real hard to see anything that isn't being ruined by Obama.

They have to suit to see through all of Obama halos
Abraham Lincoln

DanG

They have to suit to see through all of Obama halos

They sell suits, too?

I did not know Obama did HALOs.

Cool. Obama is a skydiver.

I learn stuff here every day.

Don