SkyDekker

First Ebola Diagnosis in US

billvon

>Obama did away with a travel restriction in 2011 that would lock down entry
>points to travel from people in such places.

That loosened restrictions to and from Cuba.
Are you claiming this guy came from Cuba?

Irrelevant. Embrace the meme. It now comes in powdered form you can mix with water.

kallend

******MSNBC's Krystal Ball says that the NRA is to blame for the Ebola in the US.

Google "blames obama for ebola". Then marvel at how many hits you get. And you'll recognize some names.
Don't take my word for it, see for yourself.

I got 32,900,000.

But the GOP says we have to "do whatever it takes to save American lives." Excluding health care reform, gun law rationalization, dietary education, pollution controls, and OSHA laws, of course.

With quotes I get 9,210 hits, without quotes I get 16,600,000.

The difference is important since with quotes Google will only match websites with that exact phrase, or anything really close to it. Without it will match any website containing any combination of those words. And pages with only some of those words.

With quotes the first hit is:

RNC Chairman Reince Priebus Flips Out and Blames President Obama For Ebola

without quotes it is just a page that contain all those 4 words. And pretty quickly it will start showing pages with 'blame obama for X' and a link to some random ebola article.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

In 2011, Obama unilaterally declared that illegal aliens from Liberia could not be deported. This triggered a huge increase in illegal immigration from Liberia. Since the Ebola outbreak, it appears this has increased even more. The confirmed Ebola case in the US was a Liberian, who quit his job and fled to the USA when his friends began dying of Ebola.

The Obama administration issued him a visa despite being from one of the hardest hit areas of the Ebola outbreak. It is extremely unlikely that he intended to ever go back to Liberia.

At the White House press conference, a spokesman for the Obama administration admitted that “tens of thousands” of people have traveled from Liberia to the USA since March of 2014.

The White House also admitted that people “are coming from all over the world for medical treatment in the USA.”

Thomas Eric Duncan is a Liberian from an Ebola ravaged area. After seeing friends die of the disease, he quit his job and fled to the United States. Most likely he planned to simply stay in the USA forever since Obama banned ICE from deporting Liberians starting in 2011.

Obama is also refusing to cancel incoming flights from Liberia.

Duncan flew from Liberia Dallas, Texas, making stops in Belgium and Washington DC. He came into contact with hundreds of people.

He is now believed to have contracted Ebola on September 15th. He arrived in the US on September 20th. He went to the ER in Dallas, Texas on September 26th, but was sent home. On September 28th, he was taken back to the hospital in an ambulance. Two days after that, on September 30th, they confirmed that he had Ebola.

Due to Obama’s amnesty with Liberia, Liberians who can afford to fly are coming here in large numbers.

Top U.S. government health officials said Sunday that they are opposed to placing a ban on travelers from Ebola-infected countries, warning that shutting down borders could impede efforts by aid workers to stop the spread of the deadly virus

guess you did not search hard enough, please try again

cvfd1399

It's my point. I told him to reach for the info and he couldn't. I found 3 drops in 1 try. Stop being spoon fed.

None of the quotes given contain any support for your original statement. Without the links we can't see whether the full articles support you statement, so we'll just have to assume you were wrong, hey?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

kelpdiver

******How about if you knew that you would be quarantined for three weeks in Somalia if you said "yes" or "I am not sure?"

Exactly the point I made. That he intentionally lied in the interest of self preservation is the most plausible and likely explanation. There's no honor in that.

eh, I see little dishonorable in skipping an unnecessary 3 week jail sentence.

obviously it wasn't unnecessary
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

jakee

***It's my point. I told him to reach for the info and he couldn't. I found 3 drops in 1 try. Stop being spoon fed.

None of the quotes given contain any support for your original statement. Without the links we can't see whether the full articles support you statement, so we'll just have to assume you were wrong, hey?

OK, since cvfd was either too lazy or too deceptive to post his links, I googled his quotes to check his sources are. Here's what I found so far:

His first quote is found in this google result:

https://www.google.com/#q=%22In+2011%2C+Obama+unilaterally+declared+that+illegal+aliens+from+Liberia+could+not+be+deported.+This+triggered+a+huge+increase+in+illegal+immigration+from+Liberia.%22

3 sites stand out: One is a site called "topconservative news.com". The second is a site called "White Unity Blog & News". The third, from a site call "whitechildren2.blogspot.com" has a headline that reads: "JEW-AMERICAN GOVERNMENT ADMITS IT IS OUT TO "KILL THE WHITE MAN" EBOLA OR NOT". It features a cartoon depicting a big-nosed Jew drilling a screw into a white man.

So much for that.

Now googling his second quote. Result:

https://www.google.com/#q=%22Thomas+Eric+Duncan+is+a+Liberian+from+an+Ebola+ravaged+area.+After+seeing+friends+die+of+the+disease%2C+he+quit+his+job+and+fled+to+the+United+States.+Most+likely+he+planned+to+simply+stay+in+the+USA+forever+since+Obama+banned+ICE+from+deporting+Liberians+starting+in+2011.+%22

Again, the first site is "topconsrvativenews.com". Another is from an "alternative news" site called "Angry Summit". A third site with the quote is from the English version of the Russian "news" site Pravda.

I see.

The third quote, finally, seems more mainstream. Let's see how those health officials' initial caution is treated by the Administration over the next couple of days.

The "Liberia exclusion" in 2011 was actually an extension (the third) of a program that was started by President Bush. (Source justice.gov).

The quarantine program was the CDC's, and was roundly objected to on the basis of cost and liability for the airlines, and by others based on civil liberties violations. It would have required airlines to report apparently-ill passengers for possible 2-3 day detention if the passengers were uncooperative. The program was initiated in SARS days. (Source: Daily Caller) Obviously a 2-3 day quarantine wouldn't have done anything, especially since he wasn't showing any symptoms when he flew.

I'm sympathetic with a possible desire to get where medical care is good, but I think the appropriate response at the USA end would have been to live in a shed or something with his family putting food outside the door until he passed the quarantine period. His behavior is more akin to a teenager's believing that you can't get pregnant or an STD on the first time. Wrong, and with a very significant consequence.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29518342

No Ebola screening for arrivals to UK - Public Health England

There are no plans to introduce Ebola screening for those arriving in the UK, Public Health England (PHE) has said.

Although 3,400 people have died in the current outbreak, most have been from Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea.

US President Barack Obama said on Monday that it plans to screen incoming air passengers for the virus.

PHE said this is not recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO) and would mean screening "huge numbers of low risk people".
Lucy Moreton, general secretary of the ISU - the union for borders, immigration and customs - said members are concerned about coming into contact with the virus. She said she has spoken to a border force official who said there are no firm plans to change what is currently in place.
She said: "Nothing that is proposed by the US at this point would have detected the case they currently have."

Haven't had time to read the whole thing carefully but it looks like he's referring to "Deferred Enforced Departure" and "Temporary Protected Status" of Liberians who had fled the Liberian civil war and were already residing in the US. George HW Bush granted "DED" and "TPS" to Liberian refugees who were living in the US at that time. I don't think it had anything to do with subsequent arrivals, legal or illegal, but it looks like the Senate wants to include them ...just because. Nothing to do with ebola at the time. In 2013 Dems in the Senate were asking for more permanence with their immigration status.

http://www.reed.senate.gov/news/releases/senators-urge-extension-of-protected-status-for-liberians-living-in-the-us

Quotes from the letter from the Senate Dems to Obama, 2013:

"We strongly believe, as you stated in August 2011, that it continues to be in our foreign policy interest to extend DED to those Liberians presently residing in the United States. ...

...We, therefore, request that you grant eligible Liberians a reprieve from imminent deportation by once again extending DED status to all eligible Liberians, including those who arrived after October 2002."

(Edit to add source/link)

OK, since cvfd was either too lazy or too deceptive to post his links

Nope, just been busy at work, and could not reply to your condescending insinuations...I doubt you know the feeling. There are many issues going on out there with the items below, and I dont have the time to find them right now and go into a long drawn out detail.

1. Immigration and Nationality Act
2. Deferred enforced departure
3. I forget the title or number(someone can find it) but it basically was a bundle of earmarked bullshit in 2011 that the president passed with executive order. He allowed it all to pass because it had a provision in there that allowed easier entry along the southern border which he wanted, but buried inside all the bullshit took away protection systems that was in place to find and prevent infected border hoppers from making it into the us.

Why cant they just check passports and deny people who have recently been in the infected countries? I know my passport has a stamp and date for all the entries and exits, how hard is it to flip through the pages, and find a recent trip there? Thats without any electronic database measures, and questionnaires that they can lie about...

Ok im off to do more work. Have fun doing whatever it is you do while other people are actually working for a living.

Please. You were able to take the time to copy & paste the quotes. When I asked you to post your links, you responded 5 minutes later with a simple refusal. In that time you could have just as easily copied & pasted the urls from the browser address bar. You didn't post your links because you knew fully well that your sources were rock-bottom shit like THIS.

Actually it was 0612 when I first woke up and was getting dressed, and replied at 0643 when I was eating breakfast and making shift change. Work starts at 0700 and I have not stopped yet until just a few min ago to stop and take a shower.

Google that shit, the information is real and out there, just because I was in a rush posting off my phone and got it off the first links that popped up does not make it bullshit.

cvfd1399

Why cant they just check passports and deny people who have recently been in the infected countries? I know my passport has a stamp and date for all the entries and exits, how hard is it to flip through the pages, and find a recent trip there? Thats without any electronic database measures, and questionnaires that they can lie about...

how often do you actually leave the country? You should know that you often don't get stamps and many are barely readable, so any solution that relies on customs agents flipping through every page is going to be feel good but sieve leaky. If we're going apeshit crazy over a single case, that's not remotely good enough.

cvfd1399

I've always gotten stamps except when driving back from Mexico on a fishing trip, they are not in order, sometimes different pages.

You shouldn't expect it as a rule. The US rarely does it. The EU is spotty (in the 80s we had to give the French a beer to get a stamp), Hong Kong as an example (from 2 weeks ago) stamps a small card you carry.

3. I forget the title or number(someone can find it) but it basically was a bundle of earmarked bullshit in 2011 that the president passed with executive order. He allowed it all to pass because it had a provision in there that allowed easier entry along the southern border which he wanted, but buried inside all the bullshit took away protection systems that was in place to find and prevent infected border hoppers from making it into the us.

Oh, sure. If you can't remember what it was or what it was called I'm sure you're 100% accurate about the exact contents of the small print. I'm totally ready to accept your version of events without question. Or maybe I should just call bullshit, you're wrong.

Here's the thing - if it exists you can prove it by finding it. If it doesn't exist we can't prove it by not finding it, you dig? Ball's in your court.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

> If it doesn't exist we can't prove it by not finding it, you dig?

Oh he's very good at digging. And that hole keeps getting deeper.

Perhaps this is what he is referring to?

==============
LibertyNews

SHOCK: Obama’s Summer Executive Order Allows Apprehension and Detention of “Well Persons” During Time of Outbreak

9:19 pm September 30, 2014

News of today’s confirmation of Ebola in the U.S. is disconcerting enough as it is. But now that reporters are digging into planned protocols should an outbreak occur here at home, we’re starting to get a glimpse of just how nasty things could be.

How nasty? Well, how about executive orders and federal agency plans that would void rights guaranteed by the constitution?

"In an understandable effort to prevent hysteria, the CDC has been reticent to release too many details about its preparations for a potential Ebola outbreak inside the United States, although plans currently on the record allow for the quarantine of “well persons” as well as those who “do not show symptoms” of the virus."

http://www.libertynews.com/2014/09/shock-obamas-summer-executive-order-allows-apprehension-and-detention-of-well-persons-during-time-of-outbreak/
===============

Of course, that says precisely the opposite of what he claimed. But it blames Obama for something.

Here you both go....Sorry it was 4 years ago, and I did not remember the exact specifics, but I knew it basically nixed plans to prevent diseases spread by travelers.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/washington/2010-04-01-quarantine_N.htm

The Obama administration has quietly scrapped plans to enact sweeping new federal quarantine regulations that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention touted four years ago as critical to protecting Americans from dangerous diseases spread by travelers.

The regulations, proposed in 2005 during the Bush administration amid fears of avian flu, would have given the federal government additional powers to detain sick airline passengers and those exposed to certain diseases. They also would have expanded requirements for airlines to report ill passengers to the CDC and mandated that airlines collect and maintain contact information for fliers in case they later needed to be traced as part of an investigation into an outbreak.

The bold part is what I was talking about. People can lie about were they have been on forms, I was told they do not always stamp passports so that does not work, but this would have required airlines to track where people have flown to and from. This would have helped us identify and not allow travel in to the U.S. or quarantine this guy no matter if he was sick or not.

This is not creepy and disturbing at all because it didn't come from Obama. Since it came from a former GOP executive director, we can call them "life panels."

Todd Kincannon: "The protocol for a positive Ebola test should be immediate humane execution and sanitization of the whole area. That will save lives.. . . People with Ebola in the US need to be humanely put down immediately."

lawrocket

I can see reasons why people would look to a president regarding an infectious disease. The NRA? That's like blaming Planned Parenthood for the ozone hole.

The president is a lawyer. I see no reason that ANY lawyer is any more of an authority on infectious disease than the NRA.

Present company included.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.