wmw999

Being right

Some people (me included sometimes) seem to think that proving themselves right answers something, or proves something about their opinions.

The problem is that being right is a moment, and not a state, unless the conditions with which you bound your rightness are tight and well defined. And if that's there case, well, then there isn't much applicability to the real world, is there?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Some people (me included sometimes) seem to think that proving themselves right answers something, or proves something about their opinions.

The problem is that being right is a moment, and not a state, unless the conditions with which you bound your rightness are tight and well defined. And if that's there case, well, then there isn't much applicability to the real world, is there?

Wendy P.

You are momentarily right.

Wait, did you mean being ON the right? Or just right in general?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

They are bounded, and the boundaries are well-described. Sometimes implied, but still there. 2+2=4 only in a base 5 or greater numerical system. At least that's my understanding, but it's been college since I did much studying of either.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

DiverMike

2+2 = 10 in base 4
2 + 2 = 11 in base 3.
See - I was right.

I agree with you. I am one of those a-holes who has some strange need to be right all the time. I am certainly compensating for something. :)

I try to be right to compensate for other people's wrongness.

wmw999

some like being right, or at least winning. right or wrong doesn't matter much

and some just take delight in others being wrong, or at least ridiculed others on topics that have no right or wrong

some just like to argue

others might just be assholes and nothing more or less than that

some just like a little bacon and chocolate and don't sweat the details past that

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

***Some people (me included sometimes) seem to think that proving themselves right answers something, or proves something about their opinions.

and some just take delight in others being wrong, or at least ridiculed others on topics that have no right or wrong

A lot of "winning" on the internet is attacking what other people write and defending what you have written, and to hell with communicating ideas. The argument can't get pedantic fast enough for some people...

"Ugh... when is this guy going to trip up and use the term 'most' instead of 'many' so I can stop hearing about his thoughts and ideas and go find a snopes article that says 49% and shove it in his stupid wrong eye cavities..."

Combine that with people who take attempts by others to temper or qualify a statement they make as a comprehensive affront to their very existence and there's no beginning to what you can accomplish.

rehmwa

***Some people (me included sometimes) seem to think that proving themselves right answers something, or proves something about their opinions.

some just like to argue

some just like a little bacon and chocolate and don't sweat the details past that

Many years ago YOU diagnosed accurately my motivation in posting here. However, I think you have forgotten what it is.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

******Some people (me included sometimes) seem to think that proving themselves right answers something, or proves something about their opinions.

some just like to argue

Many years ago YOU diagnosed accurately my motivation in posting here. However, I think you have forgotten what it is.

Mental Masturbation?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

kallend

******Some people (me included sometimes) seem to think that proving themselves right answers something, or proves something about their opinions.

some just like to argue

nope, not one bit :P (that one took longer to figure out, really than it should.)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

turtlespeed

*********Some people (me included sometimes) seem to think that proving themselves right answers something, or proves something about their opinions.

some just like to argue

Mental Masturbation?

Mental? nooooo

rehmwa

************Some people (me included sometimes) seem to think that proving themselves right answers something, or proves something about their opinions.

some just like to argue

Mental Masturbation?

Mental? nooooo

So he gets THAT exited about the moderators being his personal defense on the playground? Or is it that he gets that excited trying to be the playground bully?

turtlespeed

***************Some people (me included sometimes) seem to think that proving themselves right answers something, or proves something about their opinions.

some just like to argue

Mental Masturbation?

Mental? nooooo

So he gets THAT exited about the moderators being his personal defense on the playground? Or is it that he gets that excited trying to be the playground bully?

Bill R. got it, and you are clueless.

kallend

******************Some people (me included sometimes) seem to think that proving themselves right answers something, or proves something about their opinions.

some just like to argue

Mental Masturbation?

Mental? nooooo

Hmm . . . interesting how one rule works for some and works differently for others.
But when you have mods that agree with you and have your back - rules don't actually really matter do they?
:o

***A one liner like "I disagree; Bush never said that" is fine.

A series of one liners along the lines of:

"You certinally are a child of the 60's"
"Blah blah blah"
"Projection (yet again) on your part"
"Back to the dictionary......... me boyo.... please try harder"

will result in a ban.

Go figure.
Nice having protection isn't it?

turtlespeed

*********************Some people (me included sometimes) seem to think that proving themselves right answers something, or proves something about their opinions.

some just like to argue

Mental Masturbation?

Mental? nooooo

Hmm . . . interesting how one rule works for some and works differently for others.
But when you have mods that agree with you and have your back - rules don't actually really matter do they?
:o

A one liner like "I disagree; Bush never said that" is fine.

A series of one liners along the lines of:

"You certinally are a child of the 60's"
"Blah blah blah"
"Projection (yet again) on your part"
"Back to the dictionary......... me boyo.... please try harder"

will result in a ban.

Go figure.
Nice having protection isn't it?

I refer you to your own post #10 of this thread.

How many lines does it take to say that you are wrong and Rehmwa is correct?

You should take your own advice (about people in glass houses) from another thread.

wmw999

They are bounded, and the boundaries are well-described. Sometimes implied, but still there. 2+2=4 only in a base 5 or greater numerical system. At least that's my understanding, but it's been college since I did much studying of either.

Wendy P.

Thats just ambiguity of misleading and/or incorrect notation. The mathematical abstraction behind the symbols is still the same. It doesn't matter if you say 1+1=2 or 1+1=10, the actual abstraction behind it is still the same.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Arvoitus

***They are bounded, and the boundaries are well-described. Sometimes implied, but still there. 2+2=4 only in a base 5 or greater numerical system. At least that's my understanding, but it's been college since I did much studying of either.

Wendy P.

Thats just ambiguity of misleading and/or incorrect notation. The mathematical abstraction behind the symbols is still the same. It doesn't matter if you say 1+1=2 or 1+1=10, the actual abstraction behind it is still the same.

Have you been reading Russell and Whitehead

wmw999

Wendy P.

There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary, and those who don't.