Andy9o8

WalMart's New Dress Code/Uniform - Fair or Unfair to Employees?

Sounds like some whiners will be looking for new jobs.
Those unskilled jobs will also require polyester uniforms.

Simply more encouragement for self improvement IMO.
I learned as a high school kid I did not like wearing polyester nor name tags.
So I joined the Navy. :S:S:S:D:D:D
Only 3 years, 11 months, 22 days of occasional polyester and daily name tag wearing after that.

1.3 million U.S. Walmart workers

Assume $50 Dollars for the new dress code....

So what - about 60 million in Gross Sales from its own employee base?

But, they do have the option to shop elsewhere. :S

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I like uniforms and dress codes. To this day I have certain outfits for certain activities. Like jeans at church or decorated leather vest for biker rides.

However, back to Walmart, when I need help finding something in the store, I look for the blue/khaki dressed individual. When I order at Chik-fil-A I order from someone in maroon/khaki. When at Home Depot I look for orange shirts and/or orange aprons. The man who signs the paychecks has the final say so. If the Walmart folks don't like the working requirements or conditions go elsewhere.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

I believe it is fair. I am a Nurse, for reference, and my employer requires us to wear all white. They want to distinguish us from the unlicensed aides, as well as housekeeping or other staff.
Anywhere I have ever worked has required a specific dress code.

I also believe that it looks professional to wear a uniform/have a dress code.
Skydiver Survivor; Battling Breast Cancer one jump at a time. DX June 19th 2014
I have been jumping since October 5th 2013.
https://pinkribbonskydiver.wordpress.com/

When I worked at CompUSA in high school the dress code was the logoed polo shirt (they gave you two and you could buy more, but they also replaced them as needed over time), khaki or black pants, black or brown shoes (no gym shoes.)

I think the retail clothing stores where they make you wear the brand / latest styles are more arduous. One of my sisters worked at Abercrombie and I swear she was just getting paid in clothing.

At my current job, in the last year, I've worn everything from shorts and sandles (working or not, the weekend is the weekend) to a suit and tie.

“[On School Uniforms] Don't these schools do enough damage making all these kids think alike, now they have to make them look alike too? It's not a new idea, either. I first saw it in old newsreels from the 1930s, but it was hard to understand because the narration was in German.”

George Carlin

What is un-fair is that these employees who only makes 8 dollars an hour, now has to go spend 30 dollars or more. They have to work 4 hours in order to buy the uniform.

I'm pretty sure that very few of the employees will complain, if the uniforms were issued out for free.

I wish Costco has some sort of dress code for their employees. Hard to tell who fucking works there or not.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

FreefallingCari

I believe it is fair. I am a Nurse, for reference, and my employer requires us to wear all white.

How would you feel about it if they decided to change the colors to something new you would have to buy? Assume that it would cost you 5-6 hours pay, and you don't really find it easy to find the money to eat and pay rent?

That offered 10% discount is ridiculous - Walmart doesn't pay half of retail for that stuff.

Really people complain about having to wear proper attire to adhere to a dress code.
For my job I have to provide a complete toolbox that I have about 40 grand in it. I have to provide steel toe work boots that typically cost more then 50 bucks if you like your feet.
There are plenty of jobs out there that require what wallmart is starting. This gets news cause it is another thing g to attack wall art over.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

BartsDaddy

For my job I have to provide a complete toolbox that I have about 40 grand in it. I have to provide steel toe work boots that typically cost more then 50 bucks if you like your feet.

I'm guessing you make more than minimum wage.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I've met bunch of people who joined Army due to that exact factor.

To me, it really seemed retarded to join the USMC just to receive less benefits and having to run extra full mile for the PT test.

Air Force kids probably thought the same about every other branch out there.

Thanks.

That's silly. The entire time in boot you're making income that you cannot spend.
It's not even like you miss the money!
I just always thought it funny that everyone assumed we received free housing, clothing, and food.
That is not the case in any way.:D:D

normiss

Thanks.

That's silly. The entire time in boot you're making income that you cannot spend.
It's not even like you miss the money!
I just always thought it funny that everyone assumed we received free housing, clothing, and food.
That is not the case in any way.:D:D

You had to pay for your housing in boot?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I think USN gives out uniform now days. USMC still has to buy their own uniforms.

Don't quote me on that tho. Not 100% sure.

But going back to Wal-Mart. They should just issue out uniforms atleast the top polo shirt with the logo on it.

and I want Costco employees to wear some sort of uniform or hat or something so I can flag someone down when I need to.

I voted "unreasonable;" not because of the idea of the dress code/uniform (of which I do approve) but because of the costs associated with it.

For me the most galling part is the sad little 10% discount. C'mon, it's crappy enough when a company requires the employee to pay for their uniforms, but when it's also so painfully obviously profiting from that sale, it's just douchey.

Don't want to provide the uniform free of charge? Fine. Want to let the employee choose from a couple different styles so they can find something they're comfortable in rather than force them into something that may not be cut to fit them? Fine. But at least let them buy the needed items at cost. Walmart doesn't need to let their employees have that discount across the board, just on the approved "uniform/dress code" items.

Elvisio "One more reason to avoid Wallyworld" Rodriguez