Skyrad

The Independent People's Republic of Jockistan

Stumpy

*** one thing I wouldn't do is believe what you read in the media.

Thats true, as usual, on both sides. There is an awful lot of utter bollocks coming out of the mouths of the yes campaign.

Not to mention the vitriolic campaign of intimidation against NO supporters. If it is a NO vote my prediction (and I hope I'm wrong) is that we'll see rioting in some parts of Scotland by YES voters whipped up into a Braveheart Nationalist frenzy.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

michalm21

hmm.. so I don't understand one thing - if Scotland will be so much worse and the UK will be so much better without them then why are you against the Scotland leaving the UK and getting independence?

The UK will cease to exist. Strange definition of "better" you have.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

michalm21

hmm.. so I don't understand one thing - if Scotland will be so much worse and the UK will be so much better without them then why are you against the Scotland leaving the UK and getting independence?

/Not that I care one way or the other

I don't think that the UK will be better off without Scotland, I think it will be a big bite of the shit sandwich all round. (The UK will continue to exist but will comprise of England, Wales and Northern Ireland).
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Do I? Skyrad understood and answered my question (addressed to him) quite well, unlike you trolling for meanings. His posts made impression that the rest of UK (after Scotland leaves) would be much better off since Scotland is taking more money than it contributes. So not sure why he would be against them leaving if it meant less of his tax money being wasted on the Scots. Hence my question.

Also, I wasn't aware the United Kingdom would just magically disappear - Wales, N.Ireland and England would not be united any more or something?
Okay, so I will call them PUKoK, better? (Partially United Kingdom of Kallend)

Skyrad

(The UK will continue to exist but will comprise of England, Wales and Northern Ireland)

But only England and Scotland are kingdoms. Wales is a principality and N. Ireland is something else. Take one kingdom away and unite England with itself?

kallend

*** (The UK will continue to exist but will comprise of England, Wales and Northern Ireland)

But only England and Scotland are kingdoms. Wales is a principality and N. Ireland is something else. Take one kingdom away and unite England with itself?

Is the meaning of "UK" a union of kingdoms? Or does it mean a kingdom that is a union of several different political entities, two of which happened to be kingdoms? As an outsider I've Never given it much thought but just assumed it meant England, Wales, Scotland, etc., etc.

kallend

So it's the United Kingdoms? not United Kingdom?

Interesting. Hard to argue since you were there at the time.:D

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Hi John,

Exit polls suggest the NOES have it.

One has to wonder how many there really are:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/scottish-independence-blog/live/2014/sep/18/scottish-referendum-results-live-coverage-of-the-independence-vote

"In Glasgow there have been allegations of electoral fraud, Sky News reports. There were claims that, in 10 cases, people tried to represent someone who had already voted. The police have been called in and some ballot papers are being removed from ballot boxes so they can be investigated."

:S

JerryBaumchen

PS) Did former mayor Richard Daley have any Scottish blood in him? :P

kallend

I'm scanning the results as they are available on BBC here in Canada.

I must say that the studio guests representing opposing viewpoints maintaining dignified civility is such a refreshing change from what I typically see on CNN or Fox covering domestic political battles to the south of us.

aphid

I must say that the studio guests representing opposing viewpoints maintaining dignified civility is such a refreshing change from what I typically see on CNN or Fox covering domestic political battles to the south of us.

Hey, when states tried to separate from the USA, a bloody civil war ensued with some 750,000 killed. This is very civilized by comparison.

kallend

Hey, when states tried to separate from the USA, a bloody civil war ensued with some 750,000 killed. This is very civilized by comparison.

Yeah . . . well the reasons are better though.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

rifleman

Yes - the independence vote failed but the achievement of an 86% voter turnout shows the level of passion on both sides of the campaign.

Looking at the results by region, it seems that the farther you got from Glasgow the more the "Noes" dominated, The islands in particular voted nearly 2:1 against independence. The Highland Scots are an independent bunch but it seems they trust London more than they trust the Lowlanders.

Even Salmond's own region voted "No".