maadmax

How can anyone say "God doesn't exist" ?

I assume you have a "worldview". If so you have established it on the belief that some things are true and need to be included while other things are false and need to be rejected. I am sure we share many common values along with some divergent ones in the reality we have constructed for ourselves.

What does that have to do with faith?

"Morality" to me the word embodies what is good and right. Most religions I know of are not what I would consider moral. In your system of morality who decided what is good and needs to be included and what is evil and needs to be rejected. Do you consider abortion moral, how about capital punishment, cheating on taxes, hedonistic behavior ?

Human society has developed, over millenia, a moral code. While organized religion has certainly contributed to the universal concept of good and bad, there is no evidence that any divine beings intervened.

In response to your specific questions, I think abortion is a necessary evil, capital punishment is a flawed concept, cheating on taxes is wrong, and hedonistic behavior is too large a category for me to give a meaningful answer.

- Dan G

maadmax

Atheism is my religion the same way not collecting stamps is my hobby.

Ok, anybody who can decide God doesn't exist should have no trouble making a hobby out of not collecting stamps. But how does that work without using faith to convince yourself that you are actually doing it?

You have decided that Athena, Zeus, Hermes, Juno, Odin, Freya, Ganesh, Ra, Baal, and tens of thousands of other gods don't exist. Why do you get so worked up when others decide that YOUR god doesn't exist?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

maadmax

Ok, anybody who can decide God doesn't exist should have no trouble making a hobby out of not collecting stamps. But how does that work without using faith to convince yourself that you are actually doing it?

I understand what each of those words means individually but you have put them together in a way that I have no idea what you are saying.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Another general post.......The best thing about this discussion is
that it has remained quite pleasant. Along with some very interesting thoughts.
To add my thought (probably not as interesting)......
My conclusion that God exists mostly comes from just looking around me at what I, and others, call Creation, it is hard to imagine that all of this just happened without God to create it.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Lord, let me be the person my dog thinks I am.

I agree, its been nice to have a somewhat intellectual convo on this topic without things getting to stupid.

Ill be honest, I have come to believe in something that I could define as "god" through use of certain drugs. It does not however fit into any religious category. I think my beliefs are based on scientific fact, that we just don't really understand yet.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

hcsvader

I have come to believe in something that I could define as "god" through use of certain drugs.

and yet the strongest argument so far for the atheist side

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Well, I just see it as a lot of very complicated "things" happening.

And you are bordering on making this thread not as nice of a discussion as it has been in calling Him a magical zombie even though I do understand you don't think about "things" as I and many others do.

Thunderbow

Well, I just see it as a lot of very complicated "things" happening.

Simple things happening over a long period of time can seem as if they are too complex to comprehend. If a person doesn't understand some very basic things, they can appear magical. If a person does understand certain things, then they can probably understand where no magic is required at all.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'll never understand how someone else can be offended because I don't have the same beliefs.
Sorry if I dinged your god but he sure dings us a lot.
That's part of why I have no belief.
A god that created all this "stuff" sure shits on it a lot.

I said complex, not simple. Even though the simple ones are pretty hard for me. There are a lot of smarter and more educated people than me that don't understand a lot of what is around us. There are even certain "theories" that people take as fact, maybe because it is easier to believe it is totally true than to believe that we don't really understand it all yet.

I know I didn't get anything from the video in the original post.
I can't listen that fast. And if I could, I am very hesitant to consider something that has to be said that fast as fact.

Thunderbow

I said complex, not simple.

And I said, simple over time.

Imagine drawing a single line on a sheet of paper each day; simple.
Imagine the amazingly complex drawing you could end up with in 40 million years.
quade -

It isn't the fact that someone doesn't have the same beliefs that offends. What offends is the fact that that someone can belittle another's belief.
So I hope everyone will excuse me if I made it possible for this discussion to become something it wasn't. Looks like I drew something out I did not mean to.

If straight lines kept being drawn you would have a lot of straight lines. If someone put them in the correct order you could have an amazing drawing. But I don't think even 40 million years is enough for random straight lines to become more than just that.

My intent was not to offend, sorry if I did.
We must accept that not everyone will agree with our views on any and every thing in life. It happens.
Or to you, something is pulling the control strings to make that happen.
Our lack of belief can equally be belittled by others and happens a lot. Given there is nothing there, it's hard to offend me over my lack of beliefs. ;)
I don't see the same consideration the other way around.

> But I don't think even 40 million years is enough for random straight
>lines to become more than just that.

It's not. But if you had a physical process that went through all those lines and threw out the ugly ones every night, after 40 million years you'd have some incredibly beautiful, intricate drawings.

billvon

> But I don't think even 40 million years is enough for random straight
>lines to become more than just that.

It's not. But if you had a physical process that went through all those lines and threw out the ugly ones every night, after 40 million years you'd have some incredibly beautiful, intricate drawings.

And process is the right word here too. It doesn't take any being to do the work. The connections are made all by themselves. An electrical charge brings two atoms together and they connect all by themselves (sort of like magnets) when the conditions are right and break apart when conditions change. It goes on for millions and millions of years.
quade -

Southern_Man

I understand what each of those words means individually but you have put them together in a way that I have no idea what you are saying.

His point is that he's missing the point.

To explain by way of answering his question... You don't use faith to convince yourself you are not collecting stamps as a hobby because "not collecting stamps" isn't actually a hobby.

champu

***An electrical charge brings two atoms together and they connect all by themselves (sort of like magnets)

...remarkably similar to magnets, actually. ;)

I don't find that to be either a weak, or a strong, analogy

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Thunderbow

I said complex, not simple. Even though the simple ones are pretty hard for me. There are a lot of smarter and more educated people than me that don't understand a lot of what is around us. There are even certain "theories" that people take as fact, maybe because it is easier to believe it is totally true than to believe that we don't really understand it all yet.

You have perfectly described a God of the Gaps!!!
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

rehmwa

******An electrical charge brings two atoms together and they connect all by themselves (sort of like magnets)

...remarkably similar to magnets, actually. ;)

I don't find that to be either a weak, or a strong, analogy

Don't polarize this argument. :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.