baronn

Another downward revision......

The government revised the 1st qtr growth numbers today. Instead if showing an expansion of the economy as was previously stated, it was re-stated that the economy actually shrank by 2.9%. The usual suspects were blamed weather, unrest in the Middle East, blah,blah,blah....
The market lost 119 points, companies are missing earnings and those the hit them are only doing it thru downsizing and efficiency. Hardly the signs if an expanding healthy recovery IMO. Is anyone out there seeing an increase in their economy?

baronn

The government revised the 1st qtr growth numbers today. Instead if showing an expansion of the economy as was previously stated, it was re-stated that the economy actually shrank by 2.9%. The usual suspects were blamed weather, unrest in the Middle East, blah,blah,blah....
The market lost 119 points, companies are missing earnings and those the hit them are only doing it thru downsizing and efficiency. Hardly the signs if an expanding healthy recovery IMO. Is anyone out there seeing an increase in their economy?

I am seeing a move in the near term

Amazon

***The government revised the 1st qtr growth numbers today. Instead if showing an expansion of the economy as was previously stated, it was re-stated that the economy actually shrank by 2.9%. The usual suspects were blamed weather, unrest in the Middle East, blah,blah,blah....

I am seeing a move(ment) in the near term

Ya
I hope we all have enough toilet paper[:/]
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

baronn

The market lost 119 points

DOW was UP 49 points yesterday.

So it's only UP 8,949 points since the last day of GWB's presidency. A rise of 112%

What a disaster Obama has been.

On the other hand, the DOW dropped by 2638 points during the GWB administration, a LOSS of 25%. Fantastic performance.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

9/11 didn't have much to do with the 2008 crash.

That said, I'm not sure any president is personally responsible for each and every daily fluctuation.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

kallend

So it's only UP 8,949 points since the last day of GWB's presidency. A rise of 112%

On the other hand, the DOW dropped by 2638 points during the GWB administration, a LOSS of 25%. Fantastic performance.

Remember some of your posts whining about a depression during the Bush admin when growth was + 3%

I doubt you will recall
Abraham Lincoln

baronn

sigh...another person who thinks the DOW is still relevant. You should look at how this index is misconstructed, and then look at the 30 day trendline anyway - basically flat, but still up 200 points and still right next to the just set historic peak.

If you're looking for evidence that the world is falling, a one day 0.6% drop in the DOW doesn't really do it. "J.P. Morgan Chase economist Michael Feroli described the decline [in GDP] as "mostly a confluence of several negative, but mostly one-off, factors."

The market is still debating if we're in pull back territory, or in a bull run with years remaining. Feel free to bet against it, but people have been losing a fortune the past couple years trying to do just that. The rest of us earned close to 30% last year.

Right I know it was already about to pop in March 2001, but everything I have read said that the recessions would have been short lived and much better than without 9/11, the wars, low consumer and investment confidence, and the increase on oil prices which inflates the prices on everything we consume.

How much if the "market recovery" in this current administration is due to the $85 billion that got injected month through Quantitative Easing?

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

rushmc

Remember some of your posts whining about a depression during the Bush admin when growth was + 3%

I doubt you will recall

Why don't you provide the links for us (if you can).:P

So explain away the 25% drop in equities during GWB's administration, and the record highs we are seeing now.

Anvilbrother

Right I know it was already about to pop in March 2001, but everything I have read said that the recessions would have been short lived and much better than without 9/11, the wars, ...

Yes, pissing away a $TRILLION on a war started under false pretenses was a pretty irresponsible thing to do. No doubt about that.

($TRILLION = $1,000,000,000,000. That would buy a lot of police salaries, teacher salaries, firefighter salaries, etc.)

kelpdiver

***The government revised the 1st qtr growth numbers today. Instead if showing an expansion of the economy as was previously stated, it was re-stated that the economy actually shrank by 2.9%. The usual suspects were blamed weather, unrest in the Middle East, blah,blah,blah....

sigh...another person who thinks the DOW is still relevant. You should look at how this index is misconstructed, and then look at the 30 day trendline anyway - basically flat, but still up 200 points and still right next to the just set historic peak.

If you're looking for evidence that the world is falling, a one day 0.6% drop in the DOW doesn't really do it. "J.P. Morgan Chase economist Michael Feroli described the decline [in GDP] as "mostly a confluence of several negative, but mostly one-off, factors."

The market is still debating if we're in pull back territory, or in a bull run with years remaining. Feel free to bet against it, but people have been losing a fortune the past couple years trying to do just that. The rest of us earned close to 30% last year.

He chose the DOW, but all the indices are behaving the same way. Record or near record highs, and big gains for everyone except the short sellers. The Russell X000 indices, for example, have all doubled since Bush left office.

kallend

***Right I know it was already about to pop in March 2001, but everything I have read said that the recessions would have been short lived and much better than without 9/11, the wars, ...

Yes, pissing away a $TRILLION on a war started under false pretenses was a pretty irresponsible thing to do. No doubt about that.

($TRILLION = $1,000,000,000,000. That would buy a lot of police salaries, teacher salaries, firefighter salaries, etc.)

Come on now.. they hate those UNION THUGS now too....

billvon

>How many 9/11's has obama gone through?

Zero. He killed Bin Laden, which would tend to reduce the number of 9/11's the guy could pull off.

Ya
Well 5 of his brothers just got set free
Abraham Lincoln

kallend

***How many 9/11's has obama gone through?

53 so far.

4 more and he can claim one in all 57 states!
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

Indeed, and I was correct, as the NBER confirmed. There WAS a recession in 2008, although you and the other righties claimed that there wasn't.

www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=ajdX7VAR_MbE&refer=home

Even the WSJ agrees:

online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303591204575169693166352882

And we aren't in one now.

Thank you for pointing out that I was right and you were wrong. Very honorable of you.:P

billvon

>How many 9/11's has obama gone through?

Zero. He killed Bin Laden, which would tend to reduce the number of 9/11's the guy could pull off.

9/11/2001 is a red herring. The 2001 recession ended in November 2001 and had no significant impact on the miserable performance of the economy during the later GWB years (the economy shrank more than 12% during the last 6 months of GWB's reign).

useconomy.about.com/od/grossdomesticproduct/a/recession_histo.htm

The Bush recession started in Dec 2007.

GOP denial coincided:

"I don't know of anyone predicting a recession." GWB, Jan 8, 2008

"We don't believe we're going to have a recession though." VP Cheney, Jan 2008

"I think the experts will tell you we're not in a recession." GWB, Feb 2008

"First of all, we're not in a recession.", GWB April 22, 2008

"A lot of our problems today, as you know, are psychological.". Sen. John McCain, April 2008

Then of course the DZ.COM righties chimed in to tell us that everything was fine.