mpohl

World Cup 2014

This needs its own thread.

Of course, I understand that it is not your typical American sport. Two minutes of play, followed by 10 minutes of ump-ta-ta and commercials, and then another two minutes of play.

Scores don't come out to 157:90 either.

But US : Ghana was 2:1.
And more than 4B people on the planet follow it. :)

mpohl

Of course, I understand that it is not your typical American sport. Two minutes of play, followed by 10 minutes of ump-ta-ta and commercials, and then another two minutes of play.

And all of them are scratching their heads going HOW the F$@$ did that happen:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Go Sounders!!!!

It absolutely does NOT matter that "play" is continuous if it is continuously boring as hell.

The problem with soccer (from an American's point of view) is the players don't seem to be motivated to take as many shots at scoring as are possible. Instead they seem far more motivated to just pass the ball back and forth or no readily apparent reason. Oh sure, they're trying to set up a shot, but it takes 15 minutes to do that at best.

Compare that to either baseball or football where pretty much every pitch is a potential home run and every scrimmage a potential touchdown.

Wanna make soccer more interesting to Americans? Institute a shot clock. By that I mean, for every minute a team has control of the ball and doesn't take a shot on goal, a sniper is allowed to pick off a team member.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

It absolutely does NOT matter that "play" is continuous if it is continuously boring as hell.

The problem with soccer (from an American's point of view) is the players don't seem to be motivated to take as many shots at scoring as are possible. Instead they seem far more motivated to just pass the ball back and forth or no readily apparent reason. Oh sure, they're trying to set up a shot, but it takes 15 minutes to do that at best.

Compare that to either baseball or football where pretty much every pitch is a potential home run and every scrimmage a potential touchdown.

Wanna make soccer more interesting to Americans? Institute a shot clock. By that I mean, for every minute a team has control of the ball and doesn't take a shot on goal, a sniper is allowed to pick off a team member.

Take away, or at least loosen the "Off sides" penalty and you can get a MUCH better game.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

***It absolutely does NOT matter that "play" is continuous if it is continuously boring as hell.

Take away, or at least loosen the "Off sides" penalty and you can get a MUCH better game.

Or change it to a very similar game.. 1 goal at each end... lines on the playing area.... but without boards to slam players into and football sticks... :ph34r::ph34r:

Amazon

******It absolutely does NOT matter that "play" is continuous if it is continuously boring as hell.

Or change it to a very similar game.. 1 goal at each end... lines on the playing area.... but without boards to slam players into and football sticks... :ph34r::ph34r:

Do you really think you can play that game all over the world, outside. all year round?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

*********It absolutely does NOT matter that "play" is continuous if it is continuously boring as hell.

Do you really think you can play that game all over the world, outside. all year round?

Sure... lose the ice and padding... give those actors something to actually flop on the ground.. when you "touch em" real hard like:ph34r:

For someone who just finished watching the Stanley Cup playoffs, it is almost painful to watch soccer, even at this level. Perhaps the most (if not only) entertaining aspect of this game is acting of players. Isn't it amazing how they fall and imitate unbearable pain even after minor (or sometimes no, as evidenced by video replay) contact with opposing players?
Go Kings Go!

Amazon

************It absolutely does NOT matter that "play" is continuous if it is continuously boring as hell.

Sure... lose the ice and padding... give those actors something to actually flop on the ground.. when you "touch em" real hard like:ph34r:

I really don't care for Lacrosse.:D

The point you are all missing is sure, it's boring to you BECAUSE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND IT. Believe it or not, most of the population of the planet find baseball to be about as interesting as watching paint dry, and basketball much the same. NFL is marginally more interesting but still a pale runner up to soccer or rugby, not least because there are actually two teams on each side because they can't attack AND defend, that would be crazy! All US sports seem to be done in small bite sized chunks as people's attention span doesn't allow them to be away from a hotdog or a commercial break for more than 15 seconds.

When you are brought up playing soccer (or football as it should be known) you understand that a game can be awesome without a massive scoreline. The atmosphere in a big game, especially in south america or europe, is like nothing else on earth.

The exception to all of these points is cricket. Cricket is f*&^ing boring, even as a player. :D:D

Never try to eat more than you can lift

Stumpy

The point you are all missing is sure, it's boring to you BECAUSE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND IT. Believe it or not, most of the population of the planet find baseball to be about as interesting as watching paint dry, and basketball much the same. NFL is marginally more interesting but still a pale runner up to soccer or rugby, not least because there are actually two teams on each side because they can't attack AND defend, that would be crazy! All US sports seem to be done in small bite sized chunks as people's attention span doesn't allow them to be away from a hotdog or a commercial break for more than 15 seconds.

When you are brought up playing soccer (or football as it should be known) you understand that a game can be awesome without a massive scoreline. The atmosphere in a big game, especially in south america or europe, is like nothing else on earth.

The exception to all of these points is cricket. Cricket is f*&^ing boring, even as a player. :D:D

Rugby . . . not there is a SPORT!

Stumpy

The point you are all missing is sure, it's boring to you BECAUSE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND IT.

Yes, yes . . . I've heard the same thing said about mahjong.

That doesn't mean it's true.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

mpohl

its popular because poor people can play it. the entire sport cost the amount of one ball. we can afford better more interesting sports.

by the way, its very popular among Americans when their children are young. its a safe cheap sport that both girls and boys can play together without risk of injury or to much excitement. until their motor skills are advanced enough to play a more expensive, interesting sport, of course.

im kidding around for those who have a sense of humor. im no fan of soccer but respect the sport. also, every four years i jump on the bandwagon and support America's Team, that being of course, Italia. Forza Azzurri!
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

AMax

For someone who just finished watching the Stanley Cup playoffs, it is almost painful to watch soccer, even at this level. Perhaps the most (if not only) entertaining aspect of this game is acting of players. Isn't it amazing how they fall and imitate unbearable pain even after minor (or sometimes no, as evidenced by video replay) contact with opposing players?
Go Kings Go!

The dearth of shots on goal and the "limitation" of the offsides rule is not an uncommon complaint from Americans. I would chalk that up to what Americans are not used to seeing in sports and wanting this sport to conform to what entertains them -- even when the rest of the world seems to get it. And in light of the lack of knowledge of the game, I expect that many Americans will make silly references to WWII in regard to the upcoming USA v Germany match.

On the other hand there is no one who likes the theatrics this sport; they have been a blight on the game for some time. I don't understand why (the very corrupt) FIFA doesn't institute video replays because fans have been calling for this for a long time now. Replays would be very useful to neutralize and possibly penalize theatrics, and overturn unfair calls. This would have helped in the opening Brasil-Croatia match last Thursday, when a penalty was unjustly awarded to Brasil.[:/] Goal-line technology has been instituted for this world cup, so hopefully video replays will follow in subsequent tournaments.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

masterblaster72

***every four years i jump on the bandwagon and support America's Team, that being of course, Italia. Forza Azzurri!

Right on. :)
Forza azzurri indeed! B|:D

So how does it work in England?

Does Manchester United get to dominate like they usually do, or is that why they lost?

turtlespeed

Football without offside would totally suck. All you would get are constant, speculative long balls hit from the halfway line to the strikers who would be spending the entire game loitering in the opposition box. It would also remove the fast breaking counter-attack which is probably one of the best parts of the game.

In fairness, a bad game of football is one of the most diabolically boring things you will ever encounter but overall the game has a very effective set of rules for flowing, interesting play. And because goals are relatively rare, weaker teams have always got a chance against strong teams.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

***Take away, or at least loosen the "Off sides" penalty and you can get a MUCH better game.

Football without offside would totally suck. All you would get are constant, speculative long balls hit from the halfway line to the strikers who would be spending the entire game loitering in the opposition box. It would also remove the fast breaking counter-attack which is probably one of the best parts of the game.

In fairness, a bad game of football is one of the most diabolically boring things you will ever encounter but overall the game has a very effective set of rules for flowing, interesting play. And because goals are relatively rare, weaker teams have always got a chance against strong teams.

I said loosen . . . like maybe by 10-15 yards, (Meters for those of you who cant count correctly:ph34r:)

I said loosen . . . like maybe by 10-15 yards, (Meters for those of you who cant count correctly

And how would you officiate it?

Good lord, I can just imagine the bar fights now...:o
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

I said loosen . . . like maybe by 10-15 yards, (Meters for those of you who cant count correctly

And how would you officiate it?

Good lord, I can just imagine the bar fights now...:o

RIGHT!

and if they can officiate that the guy was OS by three inches, they can officiate an extra ten yards.