rushmc

More patients flocking to ERs under Obamacare

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2014/06/07/patients-flocking-emergency-rooms-obamacare/10181349/

It wasn't supposed to work this way, but since the Affordable Care Act took effect in January, Norton Hospital has seen its packed emergency room become even more crowded, with about 100 more patients a month.

That 12 percent spike in the number of patients — many of whom aren't actually facing true emergencies — is spurring the hospital to convert a waiting room into more exam rooms.

"We're seeing patients who probably should be seen at our (immediate-care centers)," said Lewis Perkins, the hospital's vice president of patient care and chief nursing officer. "And we're seeing this across the system."

That's just the opposite of what many people expected under Obamacare, particularly because one of the goals of health reform was to reduce pressure on emergency rooms by expanding Medicaid and giving poor people better access to primary care.

I find the bolded pharagraph very interesting becasue many, including some here, predicted what is happening.

And

I thought is was supposed to soak the rich??

Obamacare Penalty to Hit One Million Low-Income Americans

200,000 earning less than 100 percent of the poverty level to pay fine

http://freebeacon.com/issues/obamacare-penalty-to-hit-one-million-low-income-americans/

In addition, the report estimated that under Obamacare 30 million Americans will still be uninsured by 2016.

“The central promise of the new health care law was that by bringing down the cost of insurance and making it more affordable, virtually all Americans would have good health insurance at reasonable rates,” said Daniel Garza, executive director of the LIBRE Initiative, a nonprofit organization devoted to economic freedom for Hispanic Americans.

“Instead, 30 million Americans will be uninsured,” he said. “And four million will pay tax penalties for not complying with the law.

“Moreover, this administration has hit a new low by penalizing 200,000 of America’s most needy,” Garza said.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

So yes - people are going to the wrong place. That sounds like an education issue so the patients know where to go.

However, it's good that you are finally conceding that Obamacare is working, as previously uninsured patients can now get the care that they need.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Stumpy

So yes - people are going to the wrong place. That sounds like an education issue so the patients know where to go.

However, it's good that you are finally conceding that Obamacare is working, as previously uninsured patients can now get the care that they need.

I've got beef with that statement...4 months after my coverage should've started with "insert big name company here", after paying all months premiums, I still don't have coverage because the state exchange is having trouble matching my payments to my "insert big name company here" account...so they keep taking my $, but claim they're backed up so they haven't been able to activate my account....

oh and the big company is Kaiser Permanente

So the previously uninsured citizens aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer and go to the wrong place.

Not a surprising correlation.

They'll figure it out soon enough.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

jclalor

About 3 extra patients a day at a single hospital, That's the best you can do to show that the ERs are being overrun? :S

Actually it sounds like the process has failed. Certainly out of the 40 million uninsured there would be more people that became ill besides three a day.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

***About 3 extra patients a day at a single hospital, That's the best you can do to show that the ERs are being overrun? :S

Actually it sounds like the process has failed. Certainly out of the 40 million uninsured there would be more people that became ill besides three a day.

But those 40 million still would've had access to the ER even without the system...It seems the only difference is that now, they have to pay premiums and high deductibles without the subsidies. What's the problem?:P
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Coreece

******About 3 extra patients a day at a single hospital, That's the best you can do to show that the ERs are being overrun? :S

But those 40 million still would've had access to the ER even without the system...It seems the only difference is that now, they have to pay premiums and high deductibles without the subsidies. What's the problem?:P

DO . . . NOT . . . INTRODUCE LOGIC - IT IS FUTILE!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

*********About 3 extra patients a day at a single hospital, That's the best you can do to show that the ERs are being overrun? :S

DO . . . NOT . . . INTRODUCE LOGIC - IT IS FUTILE!:o:D
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

************About 3 extra patients a day at a single hospital, That's the best you can do to show that the ERs are being overrun? :S

Well, I guess my point is that there are ups 'n downs to both sides...would the right be happier if they had to foot the bill without the patient premiums/deductibles?

VAeauote "Coreece"]

rushmc

************About 3 extra patients a day at a single hospital, That's the best you can do to show that the ERs are being overrun? :S

Well, I guess my point is that there are ups 'n downs to both sides...would the right be happier if they had to foot the bill without the patient premiums/deductibles?

I will be happier with the government out of health care. Just ask the families of all the dead the vets and see if they agree
Abraham Lincoln

kallend

So the previously uninsured citizens aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer and go to the wrong place.

:D:D:D Oh yes...right about the time they figure out a new word; deductible. :D:D:D
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

:D:D:D Oh yes...right about the time they figure out a new word; deductible. :D:D:D

But not as long as they understand the word - PREMIUM . . .:| They won't understand deductible until they understand premium and then . . . well, just nothing will change.

rushmc

******************About 3 extra patients a day at a single hospital, That's the best you can do to show that the ERs are being overrun? :S

I will be happier with the government out of health care. Just ask the families of all the dead the vets and see if they agree

Under ACA the government isn't in health care. The hospitals, clinics, physicians, and insurance companies are private just like before. ACA sets a bunch of minimum standards that the private providers are free to exceed.

Coreece

***************About 3 extra patients a day at a single hospital, That's the best you can do to show that the ERs are being overrun? :S

Apparently the right is happy when its supporters like Mary Brown go without health insurance because they don't think they need it, and then when they do get sick they stiff their doctors because they can't pay their bills.

kallend

*********************About 3 extra patients a day at a single hospital, That's the best you can do to show that the ERs are being overrun? :S

Under ACA the government isn't in health care. The hospitals, clinics, physicians, and insurance companies are private just like before. ACA sets a bunch of minimum standards that the private providers are free to exceed.

That is under Obamacare . . . Designed and implemented to fail so that Gov't can run it as a single payer. So - wait . . . you will see how many people get on waiting lists and die there. Then you will have what you wish for. . . you having awesome healthcare while the poor have to just settle for Killer healthcare.

>Certainly out of the 40 million uninsured there would be more people that became
>ill besides three a day.

Yep. Why aren't we hearing about them? It must be because Obama's death panels are killing them and the liberal media is covering them up. Only rational explanation.

kallend

******************About 3 extra patients a day at a single hospital, That's the best you can do to show that the ERs are being overrun? :S

Apparently the right is happy when its supporters like Mary Brown go without health insurance because they don't think they need it, and then when they do get sick they stiff their doctors because they can't pay their bills.

Like I said, there are ups 'n downs...What's the point of paying premiums only to avoid the doctor because you can't afford the deductible?

kallend

Ya, so they're just stupid and didn't realize what they're getting into...

They'll figure it out soon enough when they learn the word "deductible."

Well as for Vets, they should have their own system...why does my Uncle who served several years and got an honorable discharge because of his bad eyes get a pension and healthcare for the rest of his life while other vets get minimal care or no care at all....is this really happening?!?!

Futhermore...my grandmother has been covered my by deceased grandfather's insurance for almost 20 years (VET+TRW)...it's interesting that there never was a problem about her care until this new system took place...

I was there in Chicago to see the decline in care...The nurse said "this is my last visit, insurance isn't covering this anymore...."

I said "bullshit, why?" She said, "Corey, I don't know...everything is changing"

I said, "be honest Delilah,(Jamacian woman) It's because of this Obama Fuckhead insurance I'm tying to signup for right now as we speak, right? ( I tried to signup several times, but the system failed) She said,"Corey, I love you, I don't want to leave, but ya...I think so....I don't know ...it doesn't make sense...I don't know..."

Anyway...we say our goodbyes. Tears...tears...

A week later the insurance companies send in THEIR doctors, and at first I was skeptical...but they come in and say ya, do this, don't do that, make sure you do this and remove this rug that can trip your grandmother...it was all good....they basically came in and said we're gonna take care of everything, just follow these rules....I'm like, ok, hell ya - they're even talking about better care...I get it (they don't want to incur the expense of her falling or whatever else)

....anyway, now i'm back in Detroit 3 weeks later and she comes to visit us for the pagan holiday of Eostre....She breaks her leg -Oy Vey!

She's been laid up here in Detroit for just over month...femur replacement and all that...she's 90 years old. The insurance says that the doctors have to get her walking or they're dumping her....She's fucking 90 years old! All doped up can't walk, and they want to drop her now?

Fine...I get it....she wants to die and her insurance wants her to die....but my grandfather busted his ass in agreement for her security.....I don't know anymore...I haven't talked to her in two weeks Goddamnit, I must just be too fucking busy....gotta go -starting to cry...

Coreece

*********************About 3 extra patients a day at a single hospital, That's the best you can do to show that the ERs are being overrun? :S

Like I said, there are ups 'n downs...What's the point of paying premiums only to avoid the doctor because you can't afford the deductible?

Brown said in the petition that her only income was $275 a month in unemployment benefits.

She gets $275.00 a month in unemployment! She should pay up and stop being a fucking hypocrite. Oh, wait, she's a conservative... probably gets food stamps also.:S:S:S Normal behavior on the right.

Maybe should had been better at repairing cars than screaming about having to pay their bills. She gets what she deserves.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

And you might want to look and see who did the polling for Fox News before you po po it
This polling company is not really right wing

In any event

By a 55-38 percent margin, people wish the Affordable Care Act had never passed and the 2009 system were still in place. That includes a quarter of Democrats (25 percent), a majority of independents (58 percent) and most Republicans (85 percent).

Over half of voters under age 35 (53 percent) along with a majority of those ages 65 and over (58 percent) regret ObamaCare passed.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/10/fox-news-poll-voters-regret-obamacare-say-country-is-worse-off-under-new-law/?cmpid=app_pulse&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews
Abraham Lincoln

Coreece

Cheaper to pay the deductible than the entire cost of the care that they apparently need.

Your point is silly.

kallend

Cheaper to pay the deductible than the entire cost of the care that they apparently need.

Your point is silly.

Why would they pay either when they get the care for free anyway?

turtlespeed

Your point is silly.

Why would they pay either when they get the care for free anyway?

Between the combination of my dogshit plan, horrible customer service, and payment fuckups on the company's end, I'm really tempted to cancel my plan, pay the fine, and make tax payers pay for my ER care [sarcasm]