mpohl

Publix is Keeping Closed

Here in the ATL area, Publix supermarkets are being kept closed on Easter Sunday. To allow their employees to spend time with family.

Contrast that with Kroger or Walmart. Open in the name of business and profit.

I, for one, support Publix, and will not shop at any of their competitors that day. And probably not thereafter either.

P.S.: I believe Costco, is closed, too. But Costco is beyond reproach as it stands.

This whole open vs closed thing is a bit of a disconnect in my mind.

When I was young, I worked for a company that was open 365 days a year. It was, without any question, "open in the name of business and profit." We worked while others played. It was expected. If your shift fell on Christmas day, so be it.

This is true for literally thousands upon thousands of companies from McDonald's to gas stations to movie theaters and restaurants. Not all of them, but sure as hell a lot of them. Lots of emergency service employees also have to work holidays, but I'm sure people understand that's required, so let's just focus on the "morality" of non-emergency businesses.

Is Chik-Fil-A a "better" company because it's closed on Sunday's and Christian holidays as opposed to McDonald's?

What if everybody closed? Would that even be a good idea?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

OK Mr.Doesn't_give_a_shit_about_anyone_else, YOU can work some BS job on major family Holidays...

I don't anymore, but feel for those that have to. In Hospitals, we're paid double-time for such shifts. Most of those crappy companies don't pay anything to begin with, & don't double it for holidays.

OK Mr.Doesn't_give_a_shit_about_anyone_else, YOU can work some BS job on major family Holidays...

Quite the jump to conclusion there; twice.

I said, there was a disconnect.
quade -

To play devils advocate, if I'm an atheistic owner of a company, why should my opening hours reflect something I don't believe in?

People are free not to work for me if they don't like the contract or if they feel it impinges on their religion just as I'm free to set working hours that disassociate religion and business. To imply that I would be doing something morally wrong is typical religious arrogance and just another example 'if you don't believe what I believe your WRONG!'

Imagine if I did that with Hindu or Muslim holidays... 'the company will be closed on Eid.' There'd be an outcry about me 'forcing the Islam on people'... hell, I'd probably be shot as a terrorist. :ph34r:

But working hours and days are stipulated in the contract of work. To sign it, and then complain when your expectations don't align with it is just pathetic.
By all means, shop with companies who reflect your belief. That's cool. But to suggest people who don't comply with your individual belief are doing something wrong is where the bullshit is...

I, personally appreciate shops that are open on public holidays and those who work on them. If I go out on those days I give more generous tips than usual - the exception is to people who serve on those days and then complain to me about it as they're serving. ITS YOUR JOB, suck it up. If you don't like it, quit.

In a perfect world everyone would be able to find the ideal job which aligns perfectly with their beliefs. If it doesn't, then pick which is more important to you.

quade

Is Chik-Fil-A a "better" company because it's closed on Sunday's and Christian holidays as opposed to McDonald's?

Yes, Chik-Fil-A is a much better company. It allows its poorly paid workers to at least have those days off for friends & family activities. Various States & other countries have blue laws, & seem to continue operating just fine.

If People can't plan for a single day of not being able to buy a few groceries or whatever? They're pathetic. If some People can't find compassion for those further down the pay scales? They're beyond pathetic, & irredeemable.

PiLFy

If some People can't find compassion for those further down the pay scales? They're beyond pathetic, & irredeemable.

Pay and employee exploitation are absolutely great reasons to hate Walmart and McDonald's. Getting Easter Sunday off though, by comparison, is pretty low on the I-could-give-a-shit meter.
quade -

quade

***If some People can't find compassion for those further down the pay scales? They're beyond pathetic, & irredeemable.

Pay and employee exploitation are absolutely great reasons to hate Walmart and McDonald's. Getting Easter Sunday off though, by comparison, is pretty low on the I-could-give-a-shit meter.

You just said that wasn't your position. Which is it? You don't give a crap that someone else will have to work a Sunday/Holiday, & be away from friends & family? Then YOU can work it.

You wanna really help out the low pay scale worker? Give him a $3 raise. I absolutely guarantee you the employees would much rather have that 365 days a year than another day when they can't earn their current poverty wages.
quade -

I have no problem with businesses being open. I have needed to use these services on each and every holiday in my entire life...

In the very least, I thank the big dogs (Kmart/Wallmart) for allowing me to finish my last minute Christmas shopping at just about the same time Santa is sliding down the chimneys...

If you don't like it, then move to France...

Besides, this country is filled with plenty of Atheist slaves to serve us noble Christians on our days of celebration...:P

Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

quade

You wanna really help out the low pay scale worker? Give him a $3 raise. I absolutely guarantee you the employees would much rather have that 365 days a year than another day when they can't earn their current poverty wages.

You're now changing the subject...

PiLFy

***You wanna really help out the low pay scale worker? Give him a $3 raise. I absolutely guarantee you the employees would much rather have that 365 days a year than another day when they can't earn their current poverty wages.

Hey, you're the guy who wants me to be concerned about the workers.

I am. I think making a living is a hell of a lot more important than a holiday.
quade -

quade

******You wanna really help out the low pay scale worker? Give him a $3 raise. I absolutely guarantee you the employees would much rather have that 365 days a year than another day when they can't earn their current poverty wages.

Why not have the Government force them to be open?:S
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

quade

******You wanna really help out the low pay scale worker? Give him a $3 raise. I absolutely guarantee you the employees would much rather have that 365 days a year than another day when they can't earn their current poverty wages.

You're FOS, lacking the stones tohold w/your original sentiment...

PiLFy

Yes, Chik-Fil-A is a much better company. It allows its poorly paid workers to at least have those days off for friends & family activities. Various States & other countries have blue laws, & seem to continue operating just fine.

If People can't plan for a single day of not being able to buy a few groceries or whatever? They're pathetic. If some People can't find compassion for those further down the pay scales? They're beyond pathetic, & irredeemable.

Do you just think this about Christian holidays, or are you equally concerned about the holidays of all religions?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Coreece

I have no problem with businesses being open. I have needed to use these services on each and every holiday in my entire life...

In the very least, I thank the big dogs (Kmart/Wallmart) for allowing me to finish my last minute Christmas shopping at just about the same time Santa is sliding down the chimneys...

If you don't like it, then move to France

He's actually from Germany, but those French are pushovers. JAWOL! :D

I don't give a fuck whether a store is open or not on a holiday. I'm happy to have some options when they are open if I need something, and fuck anyone who says it's piss poor planning on my part if I need something on that particular day. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I just went to Best Yet for some food shopping glad they were open.

Don't want to work a shit job don't, no one is making anyone work. If Easter means so much quit, if they put a gun to your head and say you can't then i care.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Do you just think this about Christian holidays, or are you equally concerned about the holidays of all religions?

I made no such distinction. Not all Holidays are Federally recognized. Hell, I'd even celebrate Kwanzaa & Berkeley Libertart Day...

I and my employees are at work as I type this, all in the name of profit and customer service. Perspective employees are told to expect to work weekends and holidays. We take week days off, it's the nature of the business.

Anyone who has a problem with that can pretty well piss off.

Kind of slow today for Easter with good weather, but the customers that are here are glad we are also.

GoHuskers

My home DZ was open today. Should I be mad at them. Someone please tell me what to do.

Pray.

Or

Prey. . .

your choice
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

mpohl

Here in the ATL area, Publix supermarkets are being kept closed on Easter Sunday. To allow their employees to spend time with family.

Contrast that with Kroger or Walmart. Open in the name of business and profit.

I, for one, support Publix, and will not shop at any of their competitors that day. And probably not thereafter either.

P.S.: I believe Costco, is closed, too. But Costco is beyond reproach as it stands.

The government here mandates that almost all stores are closed on Good Friday, drives me banana fucking sandwich

When I worked retail when I was young I'd be the first to sign up for the holiday shifts, extra pay was great.
cavete terrae.