NWFlyer

Why do you hate the poor?

There seems to be an awful lot of people who really vehemently detest poor people. And they usually can't give any good reason for it. This has always baffled me. There are plenty of poor people who aren't detestable. Just because they have less money than you isn't a good reason. I may be poor someday myself, and wouldn't consider that a good reason for people to hate me.

So why do you hate the poor?

:)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NWFlyer

There seems to be an awful lot of people who really vehemently detest poor people. And they usually can't give any good reason for it. This has always baffled me. There are plenty of poor people who aren't detestable. Just because they have less money than you isn't a good reason. I may be poor someday myself, and wouldn't consider that a good reason for people to hate me.

Have you stopped beating your boyfriend yet?:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

***There seems to be an awful lot of people who really vehemently detest poor people. And they usually can't give any good reason for it. This has always baffled me. There are plenty of poor people who aren't detestable. Just because they have less money than you isn't a good reason. I may be poor someday myself, and wouldn't consider that a good reason for people to hate me.

So long as he listens.:P

I just figured I'd try the corollary poll (though I about cringed to have to copy/paste the poll structure since "I do" and "I don't" aren't proper response options to a "Why?" question) could be interesting.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NWFlyer

******There seems to be an awful lot of people who really vehemently detest poor people. And they usually can't give any good reason for it. This has always baffled me. There are plenty of poor people who aren't detestable. Just because they have less money than you isn't a good reason. I may be poor someday myself, and wouldn't consider that a good reason for people to hate me.

So long as he listens.:P

I just figured I'd try the corollary poll (though I about cringed to have to copy/paste the poll structure since "I do" and "I don't" aren't proper response options to a "Why?" question) could be interesting.

In seriousness . . . appearances of an action do not necessarily show the true intentions.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Rookie120

Pity we can't ask that question of John Rich anymore.

So you get in a personal stab to someone who cant even defend himself here anymore?

Oh? Shows you what you know. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

NWFlyer

I guess I'll start:

1. Lack of planned parenting.
2. They can get a continuous chunk of my hard earned paycheck by merely just being "poor".

>1. Lack of planned parenting.
>2. They can get a continuous chunk of my hard earned paycheck by merely
>just being "poor".

Don't forget they have kids just to get benefits, they have Obamaphones, they're lazy and fat, and they get big screen TV's on your dime.

Did I miss any stereotypes?

billvon

>1. Lack of planned parenting.
>2. They can get a continuous chunk of my hard earned paycheck by merely
>just being "poor".

Don't forget they have kids just to get benefits, they have Obamaphones, they're lazy and fat, and they get big screen TV's on your dime.

Did I miss any stereotypes?

Thunderbird, ciggies, and smacking their kids upside the face on the bus.

Pacific

2. They can get a continuous chunk of my hard earned paycheck by merely just being "poor".

All of 'em? Huh.

I know this isn't going to be a popular answer, but I don't hate anyone, for anything. Hate, like any addiction is a disease, it blackens the soul and spirit, causes discontent and hard feelings. I prefer to be happy! :)
Best-
Richard

Where, precisely, are these $15/hour jobs that can be so easily picked up by any one, of any skill level, at any time?

I mean, it sounds like you have both the answer to poverty and unemployment and if you do, you should probably share that.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Iago

***Where, precisely, are these $15/hour jobs that can be so easily picked up by any one, of any skill level, at any time?

I mean, it sounds like you have both the answer to poverty and unemployment and if you do, you should probably share that.

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought we discussing reasons why we hate poor people. I didn't realize this was another 'economic disparity' thread. If you'd like to know where all those $15 jobs are, go ask your savior Barack Obama. He was supposed to fix everything. You think it's bad now? Wait until 2015 when wholesale electric rates go to $138/MWh in parts of the country. That's already set, and if you think I'm full of shit go look it up yourself.

Fine, make it $12, or $10, or whatever you want. My point is 'broke' and 'poor' is a difference of mindset. 'Broke' will get by on the minimums with what they have and work to get out of it. 'Poor' will blame the fact that they are CONTINUALLY BROKE on anyone but themselves.

Maybe you should start with Speaker Boner where the jobs are.. Day one and they have blocked anything the black guy tries to do.. and then you guys have the gall to blame him for no jobs.... Queue that damn Twilight Zone music for the place the GOP voters are living.

I guess I'll start:

So, you hate them because they have kids and becuase the society in which you choose to live has deemed it proper to help them? Am I missing something here?
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I can't believe no one mentioned "rims".

Come on, it's the best code word for "black" there is.

Right up there with "urban" and "ethnic".
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.

Iago

*********Where, precisely, are these $15/hour jobs that can be so easily picked up by any one, of any skill level, at any time?

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought we discussing reasons why we hate poor people. I didn't realize this was another 'economic disparity' thread. [RED] If you'd like to know where all those $15 jobs are, go ask your savior Barack Obama. He was supposed to fix everything.[/RED] You think it's bad now? Wait until 2015 when wholesale electric rates go to $138/MWh in parts of the country. That's already set, and if you think I'm full of shit go look it up yourself.

Fine, make it $12, or $10, or whatever you want. My point is 'broke' and 'poor' is a difference of mindset. 'Broke' will get by on the minimums with what they have and work to get out of it. 'Poor' will blame the fact that they are CONTINUALLY BROKE on anyone but themselves.

Maybe you should start with Speaker Boner where the jobs are.. Day one and they have blocked anything the black guy tries to do.. and then you guys have the gall to blame him for no jobs.... Queue that damn Twilight Zone music for the place the GOP voters are living.

Oh, [RED]I'm sorry again. I thought this was about why we hate poor people. My mistake.

Uh.... yes..... you were sayin

..... I hate reading the sob stories in the news, I hate listen to their whining about their 'situation.'

So no one has a legitimate claim to being a victim of institutionalized discrimination, racism or class pressure, huh?

quade

Pity we can't ask that question of John Rich anymore.

So you get in a personal stab to someone who cant even defend himself here anymore?

Oh? Shows you what you know. ;)

It was still trolling, and in a thread that said person isn't even participating in.

Tink1717

..... I hate reading the sob stories in the news, I hate listen to their whining about their 'situation.'

So no one has a legitimate claim to being a victim of institutionalized discrimination, racism or class pressure, huh?

It's not a legitimate excuse or rationalism for the horrendously low graduation rate for blacks, particularly males. And let's be honest, it starts right there for 30% of the population. If you don't finish high school, your prospects are not good.

But steering away from race, ignorance on basic financial matters dooms a lot of the poor. It's probably worse for the lower middle class, who have enough income to hang themselves with bad spending commitments.

Most of the people who have to live paycheck to paycheck in this country don't have to. They choose to. And yes, I hate it when I hear them pretend otherwise. But that's probably worth its own thread.

I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends, and... uh... my thermos. My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi...