RonD1120

Freedom in America vs Britain & Europe

hat said, we said FU to rule by kings. That was something nobody had really ever done before

Except when we did it a century earlier, you mean?

Granted we couldn't figure out what to do next, but Charles I certainly got the message.

(Then you've got the Romans over 2 millennia ago who absolutely despised the idea of kings. There's an idea that the plot to kill Caesar crystalised when Marc Anthony jokingly held a prop crown over his head in the theatre. And granted, that didn't end well either, but it shows that the ideas were there, and the Founding Fathers used them.)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

shropshire

***Guam, too, then. Of course, there's really no comparison of these to the treatment in the colonies by the Brits. These people are US Citizens and free to move about the states. There is mixed grumblings about their lack of representation, but no one is dying in the dispute.

Jakee- would have been better rebuttal to cite Vietnam.

And a piece of land on Cuba too.. where, I think the Cubans have 'asked' you to fuck off from a few times.

Guantanamo is still Cuban soil. The US Government just leases.

The Cubans don't like it much, and have protested to the UN, among other places, but the lease is in place, and we pay the rent on time.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

quade

***************Reality check, is this true?

Yes and no.
It was what, at the time, separated the creation of the US from the entire rest of the planet. This was part of the basis for the original concept of American "exceptionalism." America is no longer an exception. Some parts of the planet have now caught up.
The English had a Bill of Rights in 1689. I think the catching up was the other way around.
The UK still had a King and subjects.
And the US still had slavery when all those in the Empire were emancipated.
Your move.

And who, precisely, was responsible for introducing the slave trade in America to begin with?

actually, several of the various indian tribes were warring with their neighbors and taking the women and children as slaves long before the white man arrived in North America.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

I find it interestng that so much emotional energy and money is poured into what once happened in slavery in the US. Everyone who owned a slave or was a slave has long since died off, but it is still controlling so much of society and our laws.

If only that kind of energy was being put into reducing the current slave trade...

Just an observation.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

shropshire

And a piece of land on Cuba too.. where, I think the Cubans have 'asked' you to fuck off from a few times.

Gibralter?

Gibraltar : Self determination.

Same with Puerto Rico. And Cuba is a long term lease agreement.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

kelpdiver

The English had a Bill of Rights in 1689. I think the catching up was the other way around.

If the King has paid the slightest attention to it in the following century, the American Revolution shouldn't have been necessary.

True but he was barking mad.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

shropshire

***Guam, too, then. Of course, there's really no comparison of these to the treatment in the colonies by the Brits. These people are US Citizens and free to move about the states. There is mixed grumblings about their lack of representation, but no one is dying in the dispute.

Jakee- would have been better rebuttal to cite Vietnam.

:D:D:D
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Southern_Man

Gibralter?

Nice try but clearly you've never been there, the people of Gibralter are more British than Steven Fry drinking tea in the Ritz before heading off to a Pall Mall club. They are so fiercely British that God help anyone who suggests otherwise in their presence.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Andy9o8

Gibralter?

Malvinas, anyone?
Northern Ireland?

gee, this is fun. no wait, it's dumb. or is that "daft"? whatever

In the last referendum out of the entire population only one person in the Falkands wanted to become part of Argentina everyone else voted to be British. As for Northern Ireland they also have a democratic process where if the majority voted to leave the UK (Much like Scotland will be voting on later this year) they can do so. So both British.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Skyrad

Oh yes, and we also get free access via the NHS to Dentistry.

(Pulls on fire retardant suit) :D

:DOh, I gotta go with this. How is it that Brits have such bad teeth?:)
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

***Oh yes, and we also get free access via the NHS to Dentistry.

(Pulls on fire retardant suit) :D

:DOh, I gotta go with this. How is it that Brits have such bad teeth?:)
:D:D typically we don't have bad teeth ..they just not artificially, cosmetically bleached white ... vanity is a sin:)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Skyrad

Gibralter?

Malvinas, anyone?
Northern Ireland?

In the last referendum out of the entire population only one person in the Falkands wanted to become part of Argentina everyone else voted to be British. As for Northern Ireland they also have a democratic process where if the majority voted to leave the UK (Much like Scotland will be voting on later this year) they can do so. So both British.

Yes, the Brits have used that talking point before. On paper, it's a successful strategy: colonize or occupy someplace, move as many Brits (or Protestants, as the case may be) in as possible, hang on long enough to let The Loyalists reproduce a couple of generations, and then hold a "referendum" in which The Loyalists will numerically prevail. How clever.

Andy9o8

***You planning on giving Texas back to Mexico anytime soon:P

Frankly, my personal answer is Yes.

B|

There are 'parcels' of land all around the world, that are currently owned by some folks and claimed by others .. C'est la vie

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

SkyDekker

***Interesting. I don't think of them as European. I've mentioned that to several Brits I work with and they agree. The PM likes to throw out the idea of a split from time to time...just for fun.

There is no doubt that GB is in Europe.

Trying to figure out if a turk is european is at least a bit more challenging.

Geographically, only the ones living west of the Straits! :P
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Andy9o8

***You planning on giving Texas back to Mexico anytime soon:P

Frankly, my personal answer is Yes.

Texas now has its own special operations unit.

"Don't mess with Texas."

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01/13/texas-game-wardens-now-assisting-in-high-risk-border-operations/
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

TriGirl

******Interesting. I don't think of them as European. I've mentioned that to several Brits I work with and they agree. The PM likes to throw out the idea of a split from time to time...just for fun.

There is no doubt that GB is in Europe.

Trying to figure out if a turk is european is at least a bit more challenging.

Geographically, only the ones living west of the Straits! :P

Living? Was born? Or where ancestors were born?

See, a bit more challenging :P

Yes, the Brits have used that talking point before. On paper, it's a successful strategy: colonize or occupy someplace, move as many Brits (or Protestants, as the case may be) in as possible, hang on long enough to let The Loyalists reproduce a couple of generations, and then hold a "referendum" in which The Loyalists will numerically prevail. How clever.

The Falklands don't lie within the territories of Argentina, and Argentina has never had a permanent settlement on the Falklands. Now that one exists, and is made up of British people, they lay claim to it.

Is that clever?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Andy9o8

Gibralter?

Malvinas, anyone?
Northern Ireland?

So when do you intend to return the USA to these folk?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

jakee

The Falklands don't lie within the territories of Argentina, and Argentina has never had a permanent settlement on the Falklands. Now that one exists, and is made up of British people, they lay claim to it.

Is that clever?

The Argentine claim is that they acquired the Malvinas from Spain in 1816 upon achieving independence, and that national sovereignty does not arise from the subsequent presence of English squatters from 8,000 miles away. That, and the observation that England, in the Northern Hemisphere, is about 7 times as far away from the Islands as is Argentina.

Pretty clever.