brenthutch

Global warming traps scientists in ice

rushmc

From the link you and kallend have so far ignored

. Goddard reports, “I spent the evening comparing graphs…and hit the NOAA motherlode.” His diligent research exposed the real reason why there is a startling disparity between the “raw” thermometer readings, as reported by measuring stations, and the “adjusted” temperatures, those that appear in official charts and government reports. In effect, the adjustments to the “raw” thermometer measurements made by the climate scientists “turns a 90 year cooling trend into a warming trend,” says the astonished Goddard..

For good reason. "Goddard" is an electrical engineer, not a scientist (let alone a climate scientist). He is a well recognized charlatan who has not managed to get any of his denier garbage published in a peer reviewed journal.

And Steven Goddard isn't even his real name.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

billvon

>Who is losing their home to the sea?

Climate change threatens life in Shishmaref, Alaska

So it's not the erosion that has been legendary since the mid 20th Century there. You know, the erosion where they set out gabions along the beaches to control it and has worked pretty well for in excess of the last 50 years. Nor is it the same erosion where a large concrete sea wall was laid on one of the beaches in the 10970s (which didn't work because paving over the sand doesn't work when the ocean just washes the sand out from underneath it).

No. This is global warming. That previous erosion of the large sandbar that the town is located on did not cause problems large enough to consider sea walls and the like. All climate change alarmism needs is a really short memory. A really short memory. Q: "Hey - what are all those gabions doing on the beach?"
A: "Global warming eroded the beach so it's trying to stave that off."
Q: "This gabion says, 'Installed June, 1954.'"
A: "Global warming was inundating this place even then."

[Quote]
"The land is going away," said Shelton Kokeok, 65, whose home is on the tip of a bluff that's been melting in part because of climate change. "I think it's going to vanish one of these days."

It will vanish. That's been the destiny since the glacier that created the island ablated.

[Quote]Coastal erosion has been an issue for decades here, but rising global temperatures have started to thaw the permafrost that once helped anchor this village in place.

A remarkably short shrift given to the first statement.

The second part - global temperature doesn't mean anything for local climate. If he wrote, "the local temperature has trended up 1 degree C per decade" then that would be something to show a causal link. But "global temperature increase means this one city is suffering" is ridiculous.

[Quote]They're not alone. A dozen Alaskan villages, including Shishmaref, are at some stage of moving because of climate-change-related impacts like coastal erosion and flooding.

Around the world, as many as 150 million people may become "climate refugees" because of global warming, according to an Environmental Justice Foundation report, which attributes some of the moves to rising sea levels.

Of course. So long as you blame global warming for everything then it will be a result. You know that marijuana is much more potent today than it was 40 years ago? The reason is global warming. Think it's silly? Don't. Because opium poppy potency has been blamed on global warming. Google it.

Relate everything to climate change and obviously everything will be related to climate change. Did you know that since climate change took effect, there has been a rise in drug resistant strains of bacteria? Did you know that in the last 150 years there has been a marked increase in damage to electronic equipment from tornadoes? Global warming causes electronics to be damaged far more frequently than 150 years ago.

The island is a sandbar that has been rapidly eroding since before people lived on it. Anthropogenic activities HAVE caused problems. Thawing of the permafrost is best accomplish by removing vegetation, building streets, structures, septic and other infrastructures. A 5k foot runway will also do wonders at thawing permafrost.

Bill - you know this. The whole Dana Nutticelli/Joe Romm type bullshit correllation that cannot pass a bit of historical perspective. The permafrost is thawing for the same reason permafrost has thawed in the past - they built stuff on it! Sarichef Island is eroding for the same reason it always eroded - it's a sandbar being hit by the ocean.

Why are such half truths and straight up propaganda acceptable?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

>So it's not the erosion that has been legendary since the mid 20th Century there.

It is that as well. It's almost all erosion in places like Barrow.

>No. This is global warming.

Right. Why do you think erosion is getting worse?

> If he wrote, "the local temperature has trended up 1 degree C per decade" then that
>would be something to show a causal link.

The 1975- 2010 average temperatures in Alaska as a whole have been roughly 2.5 degrees higher than average 1950-1975 temperatures.

http://climate.gi.alaska.edu/sites/default/files/StateWide_Change_1949-2012_F.png

[Reply] Why do you think erosion is getting worse?

Worse? What the hell does that mean? To massive and expensive sea wall projects before the end of the 1970s wasn't worse? Here's what's worse - we actually have video of the erosive events occurring. 50 years ago, the houses were put 50 feet from shore. The shore receded at 5 feet per year. For 40 years is really wasn't a problem. Now it's getting worse.

No kidding? The inevitable happens and we blame global warming. Why? Because we don't want to say that it was inevitable.

Erosion is erodier. Mu is muddier. The ocean is oceanier. Sand is sandier. And global warming is not only warmier but dangerousier than it ever was.

[Quote]The 1975- 2010 average temperatures in Alaska as a whole have been roughly 2.5 degrees higher than average 1950-1975 temperatures.

Alaska is a huge place. What's the trend at Shishmaref? Is Shishmaref like the Antarctic Peninsula - a lot warmer than the rest of Alaska? We've only got reliable data there for about the last 15 years. I'll have to try to access it and see whether there is any discernable trend.

But this is at least a lot better than what was in the article.

>Worse? What the hell does that mean?

========
worse: adj. Comparative of bad, ill.
. . .
2. More severe or unfavorable.
========

For example, let's say you lived near the ocean. The shore eroded sometimes, got larger sometimes. Then the Army Corps of Engineers dug a new inlet just down the beach from you. Currents changed. You could watch the sand being swept down the beach from the new currents. From that point on, you lost 40 feet of beach a year until, 10 years later, your house was condemned. You might say "the erosion got worse once they dug the inlet."

And if someone from the Army Corps of Engineers came by to mock you, tell you "oh, did your sand get sandier and erosion get erosionier in your imagination, poor little guy?" I suspect you would be more likely to take them to court than to shuffle your feet and say "gee, you're right, I'm an idiot."

Which, I think, is why anger is building against many deniers. These are people who are sitting back in their homes, reaping the benefits of all those CO2 emissions, telling people in Alaska that they are crazy. People who have lived there for generations are being told "it's all your imagination. Now shut the hell up and listen to me; I know what's really happening to your town. You are clearly deluded."

They will take that as well as you would.

And there's a reason a larger number of people have been openly mocking alarmists. Because you provide an example of a coastline where sand is depleted and erplenished when we are discussing a place where it doesn't get replenished, is only depleted and will continue to be depleted until another glaciation set up moraines to form a new archipelago.

And then you say "it's getting worse." How? Because it is now hitting critical mass?

Earlier you made the comment that you can prove global warming simply because people get surprised now that winter is cold. I'd expect this comment from Joe Romm or Dana Nutticelli (people who are well compensated for putting out that kind of stuff) but not from you. The logic is, of course, that we used to have cold winters until anthropogenic global warming made the winters warm - right up until global warming made the winters cold again.

Bill - you're statement either means global warming ended (let's pick 2010 as a good date) or that data is meaningless because global warming is happening regardless of what observations show.

That's the sort of flippant comment that pisses people off.

>Earlier you made the comment that you can prove global warming simply because
>people get surprised now that winter is cold.

?? Not at all. That's just an amusing anecdote. It has very little to do with the mountain of evidence supporting 1) that we are increasing CO2 concentrations, that 2) CO2 is a greenhouse gas and 3) the planet has been warming since 1850.

>That's the sort of flippant comment that pisses people off.

Yes. Annoying someone on the Internet is just like losing your home. Excellent analogy. Try it in Barrow; see how well it plays.

brenthutch

When comparing the IPCC's 90 models to observed temperatures (either HadCRUT4 or UAH) 87 out of 90 models over estimated warming.

Some may say that a 96.67% failure-to-predict rate is less than robust.

You still fail to provide a link to your claim. So far it's just ipse dixit.

My best friend just wrote me an email from home (Birmingham, Alabama). He is stuck at work. His wife, ex-wife, kids, everyone...stuck at work. Cars abandoned on the freeways. Hotels stuffed with stranded travelers.

Snow and ice like they have never seen before.

Weatherman predicted a light dusting that would quickly melt.

They blame global warming.

:D

I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

davjohns

My best friend just wrote me an email from home (Birmingham, Alabama). He is stuck at work. His wife, ex-wife, kids, everyone...stuck at work. Cars abandoned on the freeways. Hotels stuffed with stranded travelers.

"They", like brenthutch, then demonstrate a toddler level understanding of time and space as applied to climate.

kallend

***From the link you and kallend have so far ignored

. Goddard reports, “I spent the evening comparing graphs…and hit the NOAA motherlode.” His diligent research exposed the real reason why there is a startling disparity between the “raw” thermometer readings, as reported by measuring stations, and the “adjusted” temperatures, those that appear in official charts and government reports. In effect, the adjustments to the “raw” thermometer measurements made by the climate scientists “turns a 90 year cooling trend into a warming trend,” says the astonished Goddard..

For good reason. "Goddard" is an electrical engineer, not a scientist (let alone a climate scientist). He is a well recognized charlatan who has not managed to get any of his denier garbage published in a peer reviewed journal.

So only climate scientists can examine data to determine if trends are correctly analized.

Ok

Good
Now I have even more reason to ignore you
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

******From the link you and kallend have so far ignored

So only climate scientists can examine data to determine if trends are correctly analized.

Ok

Good

I do have a PhD in science.

Are you a scientist of any sort?

kallend

*********From the link you and kallend have so far ignored

Ok

Good

Nope
but you claim that only a climate scientist can look at and evalutate temp data

So it does not much matter what you have been trained in
That is, if we follow your lead

But then, you usually have two paths
one you follow
and one you want everyone else to follow

Sorry
I am not a follower
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

************From the link you and kallend have so far ignored

Ok

Good

Nope
but you claim that only a climate scientist can look at and evalutate temp data

Another untruth from you.
I didn't claim any such thing.

kallend

***My best friend just wrote me an email from home (Birmingham, Alabama). He is stuck at work. His wife, ex-wife, kids, everyone...stuck at work. Cars abandoned on the freeways. Hotels stuffed with stranded travelers.

"They", like brenthutch, then demonstrate a toddler level understanding of time and space as applied to climate.

I wonder what percentage of your posts here are actually without insult.
I am confident that the % is well above absolutely everyone else on this website.

Classy.

Childish.

Immature.

. . . and as mentioned, worthy of an ignore button.[:/]

All of that is sad, because you seem to have an intelligence. Too bad you squander so much of it at a fourth grade name calling level.[:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

kallend

Ok

Good

"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time"

kallend

Ok

Good

Argumentum ab auctoritate.

The "real" climate scientist at the IPCC said:

"There is considerable confidence that climate models provide credible quantitative estimates of future climate change, particularly at continental scales and above. This confidence comes from the foundation of the models in accepted physical principles and from their ability to reproduce observed features of current climate and past climate changes. Confidence in model estimates is higher for some climate variables (e.g., temperature) than for others (e.g., precipitation). Over several decades of development, models have consistently provided a robust and unambiguous picture of significant climate warming in response to increasing greenhouse gases."

In reality, HadCRUT4 observations are currently transiting the 95% certainty threshold of the IPCC's multi-model mean.

From NOAA (more "real" climate scientists): In 2013, the contiguous United States (CONUS) average temperature of 52.4°F was 0.3°F above the 20th century average, and tied with 1980 as the 37th warmest year in the 119-year period of record. The 2013 annual temperature marked the coolest year for the nation since 2009.

Just what will it take for you to admit the IPCC got it wrong. (Not a rhetorical statement, I really want to know)

brenthutch

The "real" climate scientist at the IPCC said:

"There is considerable confidence that climate models provide credible quantitative estimates of future climate change, particularly at continental scales and above. This confidence comes from the foundation of the models in accepted physical principles and from their ability to reproduce observed features of current climate and past climate changes. Confidence in model estimates is higher for some climate variables (e.g., temperature) than for others (e.g., precipitation). Over several decades of development, models have consistently provided a robust and unambiguous picture of significant climate warming in response to increasing greenhouse gases."

In reality, HadCRUT4 observations are currently transiting the 95% certainty threshold of the IPCC's multi-model mean.

From NOAA (more "real" climate scientists): In 2013, the contiguous United States (CONUS) average temperature of 52.4°F was 0.3°F above the 20th century average, and tied with 1980 as the 37th warmest year in the 119-year period of record. The 2013 annual temperature marked the coolest year for the nation since 2009.

Just what will it take for you to admit the IPCC got it wrong. (Not a rhetorical statement, I really want to know)

What is wrong is your understanding of the statements.

You interpret noise in a signal as part of the signal. It isn't.