RonD1120

A&E Suspends Phil Robertson

in post 254 you said this,

And he clearly stated all the ugly stuff you've conveniently left out too. As an example, if someone says that "All those damn blacks are criminals and drug addict scum! But I'm not judging them I love everyone" he's still a racist.

So? You said I said he said that gay people were crimals. I didn't.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

in post 254 you said this,

And he clearly stated all the ugly stuff you've conveniently left out too. As an example, if someone says that "All those damn blacks are criminals and drug addict scum! But I'm not judging them I love everyone" he's still a racist.

So? You said I said he said that gay people were crimals. I didn't.

you certainly compared him to someone saying all (fill in the blank here) are criminals. which is not anything like what he said. He said they were sinners.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

jakee

So he actually wasn't singling out homosexuals any more than he did tramps and drunkards...

Yes he was. He was singling them out as the starting point.

Well, yes, my understanding was he was specifically asked during the interview for his views on homosexuality. Even if he was asked what was a sin, and started with homosexuality, it would still be an entirely legitimate starting point in the context of the interview. As I said, he went on to also list other actions which he considered sins.

It is interesting that he made no mention of homosexuals, he simply mentioned the ACT of homosexuality being sins (I don't think, I'd have to reread the interview to be sure). Just as he mentioned the ACT of drunkenness, and the ACT of promiscuity...

so again, he was not judging people, he was condemning the ACTIONS he named.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

normiss

Ever wonder how many people in your life are simply tolerating your antiquated perspective and bigoted views?

No

I'm always impressed with those that pass moral judgement on others without reflective consideration.

I'd put money on it that there is something in each and every one of us that someone else could find morally reprehensible.

To each their own.

Thanks, I greatly appreciate your taking the time to demonstrate the level of sanctimonious condescension that makes 'tolerance' so repellent, and earns richly deserved contempt for the fatuous assholes who espouse it as a virtue.

Given the choice of having discriminating taste or being indiscriminate is a no brainer; I am thus unimpressed by those who eschew discrimination at all costs. It would greatly concern me if I was not viewed as bigoted in some circles.

Carry on.

Your hero is advocating marrying 15 and 16 year old girls. You seem to support that in a recent post. It is unlawful to engage in sexual contact with girls that young in most states. You therefore seem to be advocating criminal activity of a very serious nature here. Please be careful and think about deleting that post. This is a public forum. Anyone can read your posts. The mods may want to get a handle on this part of the thread.

AndyBoyd

Your hero is advocating marrying 15 and 16 year old girls. You seem to support that in a recent post. It is unlawful to engage in sexual contact with girls that young in most states. You therefore seem to be advocating criminal activity of a very serious nature here. Please be careful and think about deleting that post. This is a public forum. Anyone can read your posts. The mods may want to get a handle on this part of the thread.

Thanks for the heads up.

The key concept in my post is marriage. About the time the P. Robertson married his wife Jerry Lee Lewis married his fourteen year old cousin. I believe both were in Louisiana.

A quick check in Wikipedia indicates that 16 is acceptable with parental consent in the southern states as well as most other states. Many will accept 15 as well.

I planned to marry at 17, same age as my girlfriend, but our parents redirected us. I didn't approach the institution again until I was 27 and that marriage ended in divorce after four years. I have given the subject considerable thought over my lifetime.

Let me be quite clear, I am talking about marriage not fornication.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_North_America

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriageable_age
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Remster

It's alright folks. At least he's not encouraging parental approved pedophilia...

Oh... Never mind...

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/duck-dynasty-phil-robertson-teenage-girls/story?id=21278832

Hey, I used to date 15-16yo babes.:$
OK, I was 19 at the time, but...
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Well, don't say you weren't warned. I used to think you were just a right-wing religious nut. Now I think you are a pathetic creep.

I cannot fathom how you justify your attitude towards young teenage girls with your supposed Christian beliefs. You have some very serious soul-searching to do.

AndyBoyd

Well, don't say you weren't warned. I used to think you were just a right-wing religious nut. Now I think you are a pathetic creep.

I cannot fathom how you justify your attitude towards young teenage girls with your supposed Christian beliefs. You have some very serious soul-searching to do.

Do you know what the individual components of the soul?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

***Well, don't say you weren't warned. I used to think you were just a right-wing religious nut. Now I think you are a pathetic creep.

Hint, hint, there is no soul therefore, no components. I must agree with Andy, you are starting to creep me out.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

RonD1120

:D

Funny interview:

Terry Bradshaw Talks To Leno About His Football Days With Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson

http://www.ijreview.com/2013/12/105014-terry-bradshaw-talks-leno-football-days-duck-dynastys-phil-robertson/

AndyBoyd

This!

RonD1120

***Well, don't say you weren't warned. I used to think you were just a right-wing religious nut. Now I think you are a pathetic creep.

I'm not a cobbler, but there is the insoul, the insteppe, the heal, and I think the wealt is an important part.

I have worked with people who were very devout and apparently thought it was okay to seek a bride of tender years. At least I am moderately sure they were not pulling my leg.

At the time I attributed it to insecurity; marrying a virgin meant that she could not know how much better in bed someone else might be, for example.

The Bronze Age traditions of my tribe are a mix of agrarian and military cultures. The realities of keeping the tribe above critical mass when a significant number of the males were wiped out in one epic battle or another was addressed by having the surviving males inseminating the fertile females and ensuring the survival of the resulting offspring by doing so through the institution of marriage.

Needless to say, our history is that of one big, dysfunctional family.

In any event, it has been many, many centuries since we considered that approach to be viable. Indeed, polygamy has been generally proscribed in the Tribes, the exception being a few backwater groups in which it is accepted for first-generation immigrants.

The Bar Mitzvah and Bat Mitzvah are misinterpreted as the achievement of 'adulthood,' but that is hardly the case. At the onset of adolescence, the issue is the acceptance of personal responsibility, and that's about it. Though teenagers are biologically capable of reproduction, it is truly ill-advised for the usual long list of reasons - regardless of whether 'marriage' is a factor.

Veterans of the War of Northern Aggression often had wives that were MUCH younger; the general consensus was that girls would marry so that were guaranteed the Veteran's Pension when the old geezer croaked. Maybe there was True Love (tm) involved, but money was apparently a factor (to a lesser extent than Anna Nicole Smith, to be sure).

In any event, robbing the cradle is widely viewed as icky. The Profit Muhammad 'marrying' a nine year old is enough to make one barf.

BSBD,

Winsor

winsor

******Well, don't say you weren't warned. I used to think you were just a right-wing religious nut. Now I think you are a pathetic creep.

I'm not a cobbler, but there is the insoul, the insteppe, the heal, and I think the wealt is an important part.

I have worked with people who were very devout and apparently thought it was okay to seek a bride of tender years. At least I am moderately sure they were not pulling my leg.

At the time I attributed it to insecurity; marrying a virgin meant that she could not know how much better in bed someone else might be, for example.

The Bronze Age traditions of my tribe are a mix of agrarian and military cultures. The realities of keeping the tribe above critical mass when a significant number of the males were wiped out in one epic battle or another was addressed by having the surviving males inseminating the fertile females and ensuring the survival of the resulting offspring by doing so through the institution of marriage.

Needless to say, our history is that of one big, dysfunctional family.

In any event, it has been many, many centuries since we considered that approach to be viable. Indeed, polygamy has been generally proscribed in the Tribes, the exception being a few backwater groups in which it is accepted for first-generation immigrants.

The Bar Mitzvah and Bat Mitzvah are misinterpreted as the achievement of 'adulthood,' but that is hardly the case. At the onset of adolescence, the issue is the acceptance of personal responsibility, and that's about it. Though teenagers are biologically capable of reproduction, it is truly ill-advised for the usual long list of reasons - regardless of whether 'marriage' is a factor.

Veterans of the War of Northern Aggression often had wives that were MUCH younger; the general consensus was that girls would marry so that were guaranteed the Veteran's Pension when the old geezer croaked. Maybe there was True Love (tm) involved, but money was apparently a factor (to a lesser extent than Anna Nicole Smith, to be sure).

In any event, robbing the cradle is widely viewed as icky. The Profit Muhammad 'marrying' a nine year old is enough to make one barf.

BSBD,

Winsor

I started thinking about my own family. I believe both of my grandmothers were teenagers when they got married but I do not know their ages.

My second wife was married to her first husband at 15 but divorced one year later. Her grandmother, mother and aunt were 15 or 16 when married.

My present wife was 17 when she married her first husband. They raised four children then he passed and she married me. Her son's mother-in-law was married at 15 and also raised four children.

My second wife was a California city girl and my present wife was born and raised in Tampa, FL. All the other women were country/mountain gals.

In addition, there are several women in my church, north GA mountains, that were married around 15.

So, in my experience early marriage of the female is not all that uncommon. Furthermore, it seems the young ladies were trained to be wives and mothers.

However, when you get out of the back country and into the city nowadays there is not much to choose from. The only ones that are probably interested in marriage at that age are the ghetto girls. They are already baby mommas. The rest are the shopping mall, Facebook types that are too dingy to live with.

I think it just depends on where you live and how you were raised when evaluating young marriage. Personally, I don't think a man should marry at all unless he wants to raise children.

Remember the old saying, a man will not marry the right woman because it is the wrong time. Then he will marry the wrong woman because it is the right time.

Bottom line, the age of the female is not as important as the maturity of the male.

People may want to watch the interview CNN is "using" to create this young bride controversy

Might save some embarrassment

(winsor, post not aimed at you)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

People may want to watch the interview CNN is "using" to create this young bride controversy

This is a direct quote from the article cited.

"Look, you wait 'til they get to be 20 years old, the only picking that's going to take place is your pocket," he said. "You got to marry these girls when they are about 15 or 16. They'll pick your ducks. You need to check with mom and dad about that, of course."

Are you sure you really want to follow Ron into this hole?

You may wish to watch the live interview before you follow anyone into any hole. CNN's driving this one. You want to follow them?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

AndyBoyd

***People may want to watch the interview CNN is "using" to create this young bride controversy

This is a direct quote from the article cited.

"Look, you wait 'til they get to be 20 years old, the only picking that's going to take place is your pocket," he said. "You got to marry these girls when they are about 15 or 16. They'll pick your ducks. You need to check with mom and dad about that, of course."

Are you sure you really want to follow Ron into this hole?

Why do you find that quote objectionable?

rushmc

You may wish to watch the live interview before you follow anyone into any hole. CNN's driving this one. You want to follow them?

OK, I just watched the entire live speech where he said that. Nothing was taken out of context in the article. He said what he said, which was that it is a good idea to marry 15 or 16 year old girls, because when girls got to be 20 they would be too old to marry. The audience responded with nervous and tentative laughter, which clearly indicated they were uncomfortable with those comments. Anyone with half a brain in his head would be uncomfortable with those comments as well. Can't blame this one on the big bad media.