SkyDekker

Did you hear that you can't keep your policy even if you liked it?

LyraM45

I actually don't know one person yet who is part of this "my rates went up 60% and/or they took my policy away,

Here is my story: I got a letter a week or so ago saying that my policy was being terminated as of Dec 31 because it is not compliant with the ACA. I went to find a new policy here is my result. My new policy is $200 less per month than what I have been paying. My deductible is substantially lower, my max out of pocket is substantially lower, my co-insurance is lower and my lifetime max is gone. I couldn't be happier with the change. So yes, I am one of those who had his policy cancelled. It was cancelled because it was a crappy policy that was a complete rip off that's why it wasn't ACA compliant. The only reason I had that policy is because it was all I could get in the past. The reason that I am able to get a much better policy for substantially less money is because of the ACA not allowing them to penalize me for my pre-existing conditions. This is a real life example of MY story, not something I heard from someone who knows someone who went to high school with a guy who lost his policy.
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

Insurance companies ripped off Americans for years with lousy health plans. Obamacare was designed to fix that.

Policies canceled because they are not compliant are BAD policies. People who liked them are basically the gullible victims of scam artists.

In 2008, Sen. Charles Grassley (R-Iowa), launched an investigation into AARP’s limited benefit health plans and held a hearing on junk insurance plans. He was inspired by a Wall Street Journal article about a Texas woman, Lisa Kelly, who was diagnosed with leukemia and required cancer treatment. She was referred to the M.D. Anderson Center in Houston. When she called to schedule her first chemo appointment, the hospital told her to bring with her a check for $45,000. Kelly had a limited-benefit policy sold by AARP that required her to pay all of the medical costs up front. Then it would reimburse her $7500 per procedure, which didn’t cover the treatment cost.

Grassley's staff investigated the AARP's plan and discovered that the insurance company was using highly deceptive marketing practices. When he made the results public, Grassley decried the evils of the individual health insurance marketplace saying, "It's not better than nothing to encourage people to buy something described as 'health security' when there's no basic protection against high medical costs."

Many of the plans on the individual market are so bad that people who have them might as well be uninsured. "The only people who like those plans are people who have never needed them. They haven't figured out yet how terrible they are. They think they have good coverage but they don't."; " Nancy Metcalf, Senior Editor at Consumer Reports. "

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

okalb

*** I actually don't know one person yet who is part of this "my rates went up 60% and/or they took my policy away,

Here is my story: I got a letter a week or so ago saying that my policy was being terminated as of Dec 31 because it is not compliant with the ACA. I went to find a new policy here is my result. My new policy is $200 less per month than what I have been paying. My deductible is substantially lower, my max out of pocket is substantially lower, my co-insurance is lower and my lifetime max is gone. I couldn't be happier with the change. So yes, I am one of those who had his policy cancelled. It was cancelled because it was a crappy policy that was a complete rip off that's why it wasn't ACA compliant. The only reason I had that policy is because it was all I could get in the past. The reason that I am able to get a much better policy for substantially less money is because of the ACA not allowing them to penalize me for my pre-existing conditions. This is a real life example of MY story, not something I heard from someone who knows someone who went to high school with a guy who lost his policy.Good for you. You are part of the .001% that the ACA helps.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

****** I actually don't know one person yet who is part of this "my rates went up 60% and/or they took my policy away,

Here is my story: I got a letter a week or so ago saying that my policy was being terminated as of Dec 31 because it is not compliant with the ACA. I went to find a new policy here is my result. My new policy is $200 less per month than what I have been paying. My deductible is substantially lower, my max out of pocket is substantially lower, my co-insurance is lower and my lifetime max is gone. I couldn't be happier with the change. So yes, I am one of those who had his policy cancelled. It was cancelled because it was a crappy policy that was a complete rip off that's why it wasn't ACA compliant. The only reason I had that policy is because it was all I could get in the past. The reason that I am able to get a much better policy for substantially less money is because of the ACA not allowing them to penalize me for my pre-existing conditions. This is a real life example of MY story, not something I heard from someone who knows someone who went to high school with a guy who lost his policy.Good for you. You are part of the .001% that the ACA helps.

sorry
I dont buy his story
If I do, I have to believe he was an unbelievably poor shopper who paid no attention to his policy to begin with and pissed away his money

This
Or his story is less than true

One of the other IMO
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

okalb

*** I actually don't know one person yet who is part of this "my rates went up 60% and/or they took my policy away,

Here is my story: I got a letter a week or so ago saying that my policy was being terminated as of Dec 31 because it is not compliant with the ACA. I went to find a new policy here is my result. My new policy is $200 less per month than what I have been paying .So tell us, what is your new monthly payment? My deductible is substantially lower, what is you current deductible? what was your past deductible? my max out of pocket is substantially lower, data please my co-insurance is lower and my lifetime max is gone. Yep, this one is true I couldn't be happier with the change. So yes, I am one of those who had his policy cancelled. It was cancelled because it was a crappy policy that was a complete rip off that's why it wasn't ACA compliant. The only reason I had that policy is because it was all I could get in the past. The reason that I am able to get a much better policy for substantially less money is because of the ACA not allowing them to penalize me for my pre-existing conditions. This is a real life example of MY story, not something I heard from someone who knows someone who went to high school with a guy who lost his policy.
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

I dont buy his story
If I do, I have to believe he was an unbelievably poor shopper who paid no attention to his policy to begin with and pissed away his money

Frankly I don't care what you buy, I have yet to see you ever make a post with any substance. I am not really sure why I am even wasting my time on you but for the sake of others on here, I have several pre-existing conditions that have kept me from getting a decent policy for years. I have had to go with a personal policy not a small business one because my partner lives in another state and has leukemia. It was impossible for us to get a small business policy at any cost. We spent over a year trying and got nowhere. My personal policy was just under $550/month and I had a $2500 deductible with a $4000 max out of pocket. I had no prescription coverage at all. I have attached the specs on my new policy. It doesn't take affect until 1/1/14 so I don't have the actual dec pages yet.

The bs with the preexisting was the problem. I will give you a simple example of what they tried to do to me in the past. I have psoriasis, have had it my whole life. Every once in a while, I get a patch on my knee or elbow, I get some cream apply it for a few days and it is gone for another year or so. My last insurance company wanted to give me a waiver for it because it was pre-existing. I was expecting that so I was ready for it. But, the waiver didn't say psoriasis it said "psoriasis or any skin condition" I called and asked if that meant that I would not be covered if I was diagnosed with skin cancer and they confirmed that it was the case. Living in Florida, skin cancer is a valid concern and has nothing to do with psoriasis but that was what they wanted me to agree to. I fought them for a while and they finally caved and changed it to psoriasis only. That is one of several things that I went through just trying to get coverage and I have money and can afford to pay.

As you can see from the attachment my new policy has a zero deductible, zero coinsurance and $2000 max out of pocket. The total price is $358/month. But you keep calling me a liar. It just proves once again that you don't know what you are talking about.

okalb

I dont buy his story

Frankly I don't care what you buy, I have yet to see you ever make a post with any substance. I am not really sure why I am even wasting my time on you but for the sake of others on here, I have several pre-existing conditions that have kept me from getting a decent policy for years. I have had to go with a personal policy not a small business one because my partner lives in another state and has leukemia. It was impossible for us to get a small business policy at any cost. We spent over a year trying and got nowhere. My personal policy was just under $550/month and I had a $2500 deductible with a $4000 max out of pocket. I had no prescription coverage at all. I have attached the specs on my new policy. It doesn't take affect until 1/1/14 so I don't have the actual dec pages yet.

The bs with the preexisting was the problem. I will give you a simple example of what they tried to do to me in the past. I have psoriasis, have had it my whole life. Every once in a while, I get a patch on my knee or elbow, I get some cream apply it for a few days and it is gone for another year or so. My last insurance company wanted to give me a waiver for it because it was pre-existing. I was expecting that so I was ready for it. But, the waiver didn't say psoriasis it said "psoriasis or any skin condition" I called and asked if that meant that I would not be covered if I was diagnosed with skin cancer and they confirmed that it was the case. Living in Florida, skin cancer is a valid concern and has nothing to do with psoriasis but that was what they wanted me to agree to. I fought them for a while and they finally caved and changed it to psoriasis only. That is one of several things that I went through just trying to get coverage and I have money and can afford to pay.

As you can see from the attachment my new policy has a zero deductible, zero coinsurance and $2000 max out of pocket. The total price is $358/month. But you keep calling me a liar. It just proves once again that you don't know what you are talking about.

sorry
But the details make all the difference
The situation details you provide here are not normal
Yes they happen but are not the norm overall

I understand why now you got the changes but
Could you have gotten them without the law changes?
I mean that as an honest question
Could you have looked and found this but just didnt because you did not think of it until your policy was cancelled?

I did not call you a liar but the info provided left a lot unanswered
If you took it that way, I am sorry for that
marc

I still am curious about wether you could have changed befor you were forced to
Abraham Lincoln

okalb

I dont buy his story

I don't think he was calling you a liar.

When does the policy take effect?
Before or after January 1st 2014?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

normiss

Completely normal.

Refusing to believe it won't make it right in your world.

Neither does ignoring Oren's years of efforts to find better insurance.

I am not saying it isnt possible
Just not the norm
Your twist does not change anything either
Even if you believe it does
Abraham Lincoln

normiss

I believe the facts I have seen with my eyes.
Everything else is a waste of time and patience.

Which makes me wonder why I even replied to you.....
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

I still am curious about wether you could have changed befor you were forced to

I have tried for years but if I changed I would have had all of the pre-existing conditions held against me. A few years ago I had back surgery. If I would have changed insurance companies the new one would have made me sign a waiver that they would not cover any back problems. So no, I could not change my coverage. I will give you another example of how incredibly stupid and unfair the insurance companies were with regard to pre-existing. About 10 years ago I had my gall bladder removed. When I went to change insurance companies a few years later they refused to cover my gall bladder because it was pre-existing. I kept going round and round in circles trying to explain that I DIDN'T HAVE A GALL BLADDER as it had been removed. They insisted that the only way they would insure me is with a waiver for my gall bladder.

okalb

I dont buy his story

From what little research I did.
1) That seems to be a rate quote off their website.
2) That jpeg shows nothing about what increases you are going to have to bear because of your pre-existing conditions. The law says that they can't refuse them, not that you won't pay out the nose for them.

okalb

***I still am curious about wether you could have changed befor you were forced to

I have tried for years but if I changed I would have had all of the pre-existing conditions held against me. A few years ago I had back surgery. If I would have changed insurance companies the new one would have made me sign a waiver that they would not cover any back problems. So no, I could not change my coverage. I will give you another example of how incredibly stupid and unfair the insurance companies were with regard to pre-existing. About 10 years ago I had my gall bladder removed. When I went to change insurance companies a few years later they refused to cover my gall bladder because it was pre-existing. I kept going round and round in circles trying to explain that I DIDN'T HAVE A GALL BLADDER as it had been removed. They insisted that the only way they would insure me is with a waiver for my gall bladder.

Thanks for the info
Again, I did not mean to imply you were a liar
Details just did not made sense to me
It is clearer now

I wonder what will happen in 2015?
Abraham Lincoln

if you have been rejected by 2 insurance companies in florida you would have been able to join the Florida high risk pool. At rates that healthy people pay. My wife was in it for years. So I'm not sure why you had trouble, but something smells fishy. My rates went up over 600% part due to obamacare part do to Obamanomics. I was told that 160% was do to obamacare. And to expect a 150% increase next year.

Much highier copays and deductables and we could not keep our old plan because it was "no longer available"

turtlespeed

The law says that they can't refuse them, not that you won't pay out the nose for them.

If you think that, you might want to actually take a look at the law that you are so opposed to.

Channman

***Just wondering if people were aware?

Also heard that Obama said you could...is that true?

I hear that Obama Lied...and people will die, that at least is true.

Cancer Patient: I am a Victim of Obamacare

http://freepatriot.org/2013/11/04/cancer-patient-i-am-a-victim-of-obamacare/

That death panel thing again.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

******Just wondering if people were aware?

Also heard that Obama said you could...is that true?

I hear that Obama Lied...and people will die, that at least is true.

Cancer Patient: I am a Victim of Obamacare

http://freepatriot.org/2013/11/04/cancer-patient-i-am-a-victim-of-obamacare/

That death panel thing again.

When was this "law" passed? May of 2010?

In Spet of 2010 Senator Enzi put forth a resolution about the grandfather rule changes warning that it would cause people to lose the policies they have
The Dems stopped it
They cant claim they did not know
Cause they did in 2010

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/11/01/friendly-reminder-from-cnn-senate-democrats-killed-a-2010-gop-proposal-to-let-more-people-keep-their-plans/

In September 2010, Senate Republicans brought a resolution to the floor to block implementation of the grandfather rule, warning that it would result in canceled policies and violate President Barack Obama’s promise that people could keep their insurance if they liked it.

“The District of Columbia is an island surrounded by reality. Only in the District of Columbia could you get away with telling the people if you like what you have you can keep it, and then pass regulations six months later that do just the opposite and figure that people are going to ignore it. But common sense is eventually going to prevail in this town and common sense is going to have to prevail on this piece of legislation as well,” Iowa Sen. Chuck Grassley said at the time.

“The administration’s own regulations prove this is not the case. Under the grandfathering regulation, according to the White House’s own economic impact analysis, as many as 69 percent of businesses will lose their grandfathered status by 2013 and be forced to buy government-approved plans,” the Iowa Republican said.

On a party line vote, Democrats killed the resolution, which could come back to haunt vulnerable Democrats up for re-election this year.

Abraham Lincoln

Duke Researcher Predicts 129 Million People Will Lose Coverage Due To Obamacare

http://americanoverlook.com/duke-researcher-predicts-129-million-people-will-lose-coverage-due-to-obamacare/106078
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

I just find that some folks here are just unreal.
Oren is a trustworthy, intelligent person, makes enough cheese to buy insurance, smart enough to pick the right ones especially given his medical history.
Yet at least 3 people on here are repeatedly attacking him claiming it isn't true.

I would think such behavior retarded.
I know, I'm not supposed to use that word.

I would think such behavior retarded.

I think it's OK to say that it's crass and rude, though :)
Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)