billvon

GOP: Shutdown shouldn't apply to us

rhaig

But I am pretty certain them refusing to send a funding bill up that will pass is not endearing more people to the GOP.

Is that the way it's supposed to work? "Hmm... what do we think they want to vote for... let's do that."

If it were a Democrat controlled house sending bills to a Republican controlled senate, and the media reported it as "House sends funding bills to the Senate, but they won't vote on them, and if they passed one, the Republican president vowed to veto it!" Then whose fault would it be?

You better believe that they THINK this is earning them more support at the polls.

They are wrong, as usual, which is why they lost the last 2 elections so badly.

Should it work that way? Not imo. IMO they should be lifelong appointments like the S.C. That way they don't have to worry about pandering to voters.

Bignugget

But I am pretty certain them refusing to send a funding bill up that will pass is not endearing more people to the GOP.

Is that the way it's supposed to work? "Hmm... what do we think they want to vote for... let's do that."

If it were a Democrat controlled house sending bills to a Republican controlled senate, and the media reported it as "House sends funding bills to the Senate, but they won't vote on them, and if they passed one, the Republican president vowed to veto it!" Then whose fault would it be?

You better believe that they THINK this is earning them more support at the polls.

They are wrong, as usual, which is why they lost the last 2 elections so badly.

Should it work that way? Not imo. IMO they should be lifelong appointments like the S.C. That way they don't have to worry about pandering to voters.

Bottom line, it is the right thing to do.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

>Bottom line, it is the right thing to do.

Funny how quickly the GOP alternates between "it's the right thing to do and we're doing it" and "we're not doing it, it's the democrats who won't compromise. We're just helpless victims!"

I look forward to your next flipflop.

billvon

>Do you really believe either party is more guilty of causing the the shutdown?

Yes. The GOP said it would shut down the government if they didn't get their way. They followed through on their threat.

:D:D

The Dems were pushing for this in Feb of this year

Senator Shutdown Schumer (as his Senate comrads were calling him) has been hoping for this all summer and they have been goating the GOP into it

Well, he/they got it
and it is NOT working as well for them as they had hoped
And it is getting fun to watch

You also gotta love Obama

Here he will NOT negoctiate!!

http://news.yahoo.com/obamas-no-negotiation-stance-setting-tone-072558838--politics.html

Yesterday he says that is not true. He is open and has been open to negotiations!!???

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/obama-says-hes-willing-negotiate-soon-republicans-do-what-he-wants

....as soon as the republicans does what he want:D:D:D

Ah our man child president and his imature ways

As I said gotta love him
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

normiss

Touche' in that regard.

I blame ALL politicians however.

I'm over the us vs. them. This is an AMERICAN, USA problem.
Not yours. not mine, not theirs.
OURS.

ALL of those morons we seem unable to expel from fucking us over need to get their shit in one sock and fix this.
Which they will of course. Temporarily. Right before it kills us.
Only to repeat again. and again. and again.

We need to fix our government.

+1000!!!!!
Abraham Lincoln

quade

***Who has culpability now?

The 30 or so jackasses who started it versus the remaining 407 others in the House who didn't seem to give a rats ass until they started kicking and screaming like spoiled children.

See, THAT is the thing that's pissing me off here. It's the actions of about 30 people holding up over 300 million.

Fuck those guys.

Actually
It is the fault of the people calling the House and the Senate

Fuck the people should be your stance
Abraham Lincoln

quade

***Most Americans seem to be lazy as hell when it comes to politics.
That's changing I think.

It's less than 10% of the House holding up 100% of the business.

Again, fuck those guys. They were never given that sort of power, they've simply assumed it and because of their big money backers have convinced Boehner to go along with it. And yes, they are holding the country hostage over their temper tantrum.

Can you even in your wildest imagination conceive of the Democrats being allowed to get away with that sort of nonsense?

Ah Paul
the Dems are doing it right now

Right in front of your face

You need only open your eyes

As for the power?

It is working just as intended

But, some do not feel that way since they are not getting their way

Obama anyone?
Abraham Lincoln

rehmwa

Speaker's Corner on this topic is really rolling along. Right down to people being dicks and freakishly patronizing to each other with personal attacks and snide, pointless crap. And blankly repeating the same matras from both sides. Empty finger pointing, etc etc etc.

Apparently we do have a congress that represents the people. Or at least this microcosm of society.

we are doomed

From what I can tell, this isn't a SC issue, but a much greater USA issue. The two political parties have polarized significantly in the last decade or so, mainly by pandering to their more extreme elements.

Currently people are more interested in figuring out how they can blame the other guy, than how they can band together and help/fix the US.

Unless there is a large unifying event, I don't see this getting any better any time soon.

SkyDekker

***Speaker's Corner on this topic is really rolling along. Right down to people being dicks and freakishly patronizing to each other with personal attacks and snide, pointless crap. And blankly repeating the same matras from both sides. Empty finger pointing, etc etc etc.

Apparently we do have a congress that represents the people. Or at least this microcosm of society.

we are doomed

From what I can tell, this isn't a SC issue, but a much greater USA issue. The two political parties have polarized significantly in the last decade or so, mainly by pandering to their more extreme elements.

Currently people are more interested in figuring out how they can blame the other guy, than how they can band together and help/fix the US.

Unless there is a large unifying event, I don't see this getting any better any time soon.

Nothing will get better as long as Obama is in office
What is happening is no acident

Remember, he compained on fixing all devides and race issues
HE has only made them worse with his child like antics
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

******Speaker's Corner on this topic is really rolling along. Right down to people being dicks and freakishly patronizing to each other with personal attacks and snide, pointless crap. And blankly repeating the same matras from both sides. Empty finger pointing, etc etc etc.

we are doomed

Like I said, more concerned with figuring out how to blame the other guy.

SkyDekker

*********Speaker's Corner on this topic is really rolling along. Right down to people being dicks and freakishly patronizing to each other with personal attacks and snide, pointless crap. And blankly repeating the same matras from both sides. Empty finger pointing, etc etc etc.

we are doomed

Like I said, more concerned with figuring out how to blame the other guy.Maybe
but you have to recognize the problem before it can be fixed

Nearly everything we were told about what Obama would be to this county has been a lie
The main one that bugs me is his more open and transparent government bs

but you like pointing fingers
So I just put you down as projecting here
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

************Speaker's Corner on this topic is really rolling along. Right down to people being dicks and freakishly patronizing to each other with personal attacks and snide, pointless crap. And blankly repeating the same matras from both sides. Empty finger pointing, etc etc etc.

we are doomed

Nearly everything we were told about what Obama would be to this county has been a lie

Skydekker, what you fail to realize is that RUSHMC was a diehard Obama supporter.

That is why he is so angry that everything Obama said he was going to do, he didn't do. (according to Rush)

If he had never supported Obama in the first place it shouldn't really surprise him that the guy lies, cheats, steals, and kills babies.

The only logical conclusion to draw is that he supported the big O hardcore, and had his heart broken. Now he runs around like a jilted lover.

Bignugget

***************Speaker's Corner on this topic is really rolling along. Right down to people being dicks and freakishly patronizing to each other with personal attacks and snide, pointless crap. And blankly repeating the same matras from both sides. Empty finger pointing, etc etc etc.

we are doomed

Skydekker, what you fail to realize is that RUSHMC was a diehard Obama supporter.

That is why he is so angry that everything Obama said he was going to do, he didn't do. (according to Rush)

If he had never supported Obama in the first place it shouldn't really surprise him that the guy lies, cheats, steals, and kills babies.

The only logical conclusion to draw is that he supported the big O hardcore, and had his heart broken. Now he runs around like a jilted lover.

:D:D

Bad flash back day today??

:D
Abraham Lincoln

The absoulte worse thing that can happen to the Dems at this point is, the people start paying attention to what is going on

And they are starting to pay attention

Demonstrated by Joh Stewart telling the crowd that he wonders if Kathleen Sebelius lieing to him
Abraham Lincoln

>The absoulte worse thing that can happen to the Dems at this point is, the people
>start paying attention to what is going on. And they are starting to pay attention

They are indeed. And what's starting to happen?
========================
WaPo

Republican disapproval grows in budget battle, Post-ABC poll finds
By Scott Clement and Peyton M. Craighill, Published: October 7 at 3:01 pm

Disapproval of congressional Republicans’ budget wrangling after a weeklong shutdown has shot up to 70 percent, with 51 percent disapproving “strongly,” according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

At the same time, President Obama’s approval rating has ticked up due to improved marks among moderate Democrats and independents.
=============================
Polls: Public places more blame for shutdown on GOP
By Michael O'Brien, Political Reporter, NBC News

As the federal government’s shutdown nears its second week, a pair of new polls released Monday suggests the fiscal standoff has begun to weigh on the Republican Party.

No one – not Republicans in Congress, President Barack Obama or his Democratic allies on Capitol Hill – comes away looking particularly great as a result of the shutdown, according to separate polls released Monday from the Pew Research Center and Washington Post/ABC News. But the negative fallout from the shutdown is more sharply pronounced in public opinion toward the GOP.

Thirty-eight percent of Americans said Republicans were to blame for the shutdown, versus 30 percent who blame the Obama administration and 19 percent who blame both, according to the Pew poll, which was conducted in the days since the shutdown came to pass.
========================================

Looks like the GOP's only hope is to get less information out there.

billvon

>The absoulte worse thing that can happen to the Dems at this point is, the people
>start paying attention to what is going on. And they are starting to pay attention

They are indeed. And what's starting to happen?
========================
WaPo

Republican disapproval grows in budget battle, Post-ABC poll finds
By Scott Clement and Peyton M. Craighill, Published: October 7 at 3:01 pm

Disapproval of congressional Republicans’ budget wrangling after a weeklong shutdown has shot up to 70 percent, with 51 percent disapproving “strongly,” according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

At the same time, President Obama’s approval rating has ticked up due to improved marks among moderate Democrats and independents.
=============================
Polls: Public places more blame for shutdown on GOP
By Michael O'Brien, Political Reporter, NBC News

As the federal government’s shutdown nears its second week, a pair of new polls released Monday suggests the fiscal standoff has begun to weigh on the Republican Party.

No one – not Republicans in Congress, President Barack Obama or his Democratic allies on Capitol Hill – comes away looking particularly great as a result of the shutdown, according to separate polls released Monday from the Pew Research Center and Washington Post/ABC News. But the negative fallout from the shutdown is more sharply pronounced in public opinion toward the GOP.

Thirty-eight percent of Americans said Republicans were to blame for the shutdown, versus 30 percent who blame the Obama administration and 19 percent who blame both, according to the Pew poll, which was conducted in the days since the shutdown came to pass.
========================================

Looks like the GOP's only hope is to get less information out there.

Please
Link the polls

I posted one but did NOT post the links to the spin on said polls

Your post here is the very reason I did that
You got your spin
Lets see the numbers
Abraham Lincoln

quade

http://www.pollingreport.com/budget.htm

As a whole, the Republicans are going to wind up the losers in this. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But almost certainly the next House election.

You can hope
but the majority of the data out there does not support this view
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

***http://www.pollingreport.com/budget.htm

As a whole, the Republicans are going to wind up the losers in this. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But almost certainly the next House election.

You can hope
but the majority of the data out there does not support this view

Uhm, did you read the polls? Cause like, yeah, it does.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

http://www.washingtonpost.com/page/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2013/10/07/National-Politics/Polling/release_269.xml

http://www.people-press.org/2013/10/07/partisans-dug-in-on-budget-health-care-impasse/

What might the result of all this be? See below:

================
MEMORANDUM
Jim Williams, Public Policy Polling
RE: 24 new polls show GOP in grave danger of losing House in wake of government shutdown

If the 2014 elections were held today, Republicans would be in grave danger of losing control of the House of Representatives, according to a series of 24 surveys conducted by Public Policy Polling in Republican-held House districts over the past few days. The surveys challenge the conventional wisdom that gerrymandering has put the House out of reach for Democrats. The surveys, commissioned and paid for by MoveOn.org Political Action, show Republican incumbents behind among registered voters in head-to-head contests with generic Democratic challengers in 17 districts. In four other districts, the incumbent Republican falls behind a generic Democratic candidate after respondents are told that the Republican incumbent supported the government shutdown. In only three districts do Republican incumbents best generic Democratic challengers after voters are told the incumbent supported the government shutdown.Democrats must pick up 17 seats to win control of the House. These poll results make clear that if the election were held today, such a pickup would be well within reach.The districts where a generic Democratic challenger leads prior to any information being provided about the shutdown are:CA-31, CO-06, FL-02, FL-10, FL-13, IA-03, IA-04, IL-13, KY-06, MI-01, MI-07,MI-11, NY-19, OH-14, PA-07, PA-08, WI-07
========================