billvon

Summation of the GOP's position on the shutdown

Stutzman is a farmer. Here's one thing he and his fellow farmers will get out of a government shutdown:
Local Farm Service Agency, Rural Development, or Natural Resources Conservation Service staff will not be considered essential, so farmers and ranchers will not be able to receive any loans for programs they have applied for.
Just like Dick Cheney shooting his hunting partner in the face, Republicans were aiming at Obamacare, but they've hit something else.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

billvon

Perfect summation of the GOP's position on the shutdown from Marlin Stutzman (R-IN):

“We’re not going to be disrespected. We have to get something out of this. And I don’t know what that even is.”

Almost as good as Reid not giving 2 craps about kids with cancer.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

billvon

Perfect summation of the GOP's position on the shutdown from Marlin Stutzman (R-IN):

“We’re not going to be disrespected. We have to get something out of this. And I don’t know what that even is.”

Makes as much sense as Obama stating he has bent over backwards, dont you think?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Here are some of the things the Tea Party considers to be non essential government services:

Bureau of Economic Analysis
Census Bureau
Copyright and Patent Office
Education Resource Information Center
Federal Communications Commission
Federal Trade Commission
Library of Congress
National Aeronautics and Space Administration
National Park Service
National Institute of Mental Health
National Institute of Standards and Technology
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
National Science Foundation
US Geological Survey
United States Department of Agriculture

If the Tea Party has its way the US will soon be a third world nation.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

Here are some of the things the Tea Party considers to be non essential government services:

Census Bureau
Federal Trade Commission
Library of Congress
National Park Service
US Geological Survey

I like when you post
I really shows how much of a low information voter you are

:D:D
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

Census Bureau
Federal Trade Commission
Library of Congress
National Park Service
US Geological Survey

I like when you post

Sadly, its true. The worst part is that it is self inflicted.[:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

Census Bureau
Federal Trade Commission
Library of Congress
National Park Service
US Geological Survey

I like when you post

True, no-one FORCED the Tea Party to post the attached image on Facebook. The Tea Party just makes itself look stupid without external help.

kallend

Census Bureau
Federal Trade Commission
Library of Congress
National Park Service
US Geological Survey

I like when you post

True, no-one FORCED the Tea Party to post the attached image on Facebook. The Tea Party just makes itself look stupid without external help.

It is a valid question, if you listen to the propaganda from the left.

If you are non essential, why are you there?

Non essential could be construed as redundant.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

It is a valid question, if you listen to the propaganda from the left.

If you are non essential, why are you there?

Non essential could be construed as redundant.

I've thought about this a lot in the last few days. I work for the Weather Service. The protection of lives and property is deemed essential from our services. A friend of mine works as a civil engineer with the bureau of reclamation, and she is considered non-essential at the moment. She's starting to feel a little bad about that, and asking herself the same questions that you brought up in your response above.

Does this mean her work is any less valuable than mine? No. But I take it to mean nobody is going to die or be put at a huge inconvenience this week if she is not in work for a couple days. Her daily tasks, projects, and work are all for the long term greater good, and not for immediate impacts, like the tropical system in the gulf, which could cause the loss of life and property if weather service forecasters weren't there to get warnings out and forecast the track for people living in the impacted areas.

Non-essential for a brief period of time does not equal not needed at all in the long term. I'm not saying there isn't fat to trim from the federal workforce, because there is, but saying all non-essential positions must not need to exist at all because they're not immediately needed this week..... well, that's a little bit of a stretch, IMO.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

>If you are non essential, why are you there?

Military riggers are non-essential. You can do without them for months. After six months or so you will really miss them.

The guy who orders uniforms, weapons, vests and ammunition for your local army nbase is non-essential. You can do without him for a while. After six months or so you're going to start feeling the pinch.

Bridge maintenance workers are non-essential. You can go months, even years, without them. Getting rid of them completely would be a bad idea.

Government watchdogs - people who look for waste and fraud and prosecute it when it happens - are nonessential. If Reid (or Boehner) takes a multi-million-dollar boondoggle, I bet you'll want them back.

You probably get the point here.

>Makes as much sense as Obama stating he has bent over backwards, dont you think?

He has.

I can just imagine if landscapers acted like the US Congress:

Homeowner: OK, I paid you for the month, are you going to mow the lawn or not?
Landscaper: First I want a raise.
Homeowner: OK we will talk about it after you do your job.
Landscaper: I want a new lawnmower first.
Homeowner: I'll buy you a used one.
Landscaper: And then I want to trash your car.
Homeowner: What? No.
Landscaper: How about I just break all the windows?
Homeowner: No, you can't break the windows.
Landscaper: OK I'll just slash the tires.
Homeowner: No, you can't do that either.
Landscaper: WHY WON'T YOU NEGOTIATE?

billvon

>Makes as much sense as Obama stating he has bent over backwards, dont you think?

He has.

I can just imagine if landscapers acted like the US Congress:

Homeowner: OK, I paid you for the month, are you going to mow the lawn or not?
Landscaper: First I want a raise.
Homeowner: OK we will talk about it after you do your job.
Landscaper: I want a new lawnmower first.
Homeowner: I'll buy you a used one.
Landscaper: And then I want to trash your car.
Homeowner: What? No.
Landscaper: How about I just break all the windows?
Homeowner: No, you can't break the windows.
Landscaper: OK I'll just slash the tires.
Homeowner: No, you can't do that either.
Landscaper: WHY WON'T YOU NEGOTIATE?

Send this to Harry Reid and Pres Obama

Maybe they will listen to you and stop acting like spoiled children for a change
Abraham Lincoln

Today's statements from the GOP on the shutdown:

======================
Some GOP colleagues angry with Ted Cruz
POLITICO
A number of GOP senators blame the Texas freshman for contributing to the mess.

By MANU RAJU | 10/2/13 7:31 PM EDT Updated: 10/3/13 2:45 PM EDT

Ted Cruz faced a barrage of hostile questions Wednesday from angry GOP senators, who lashed the Texas tea party freshman for helping prompt a government shutdown crisis without a strategy to end it.

At a closed-door lunch meeting in the Senate’s Mansfield Room, Republican after Republican pressed Cruz to explain how he would propose to end the bitter budget impasse with Democrats, according to senators who attended the meeting. A defensive Cruz had no clear plan to force an end to the shutdown — or explain how he would defund Obamacare, as he has demanded all along, sources said.

Things got particularly heated when Cruz was asked point-blank if he would renounce attacks waged on GOP senators by the Senate Conservatives Fund, an outside group that has aligned itself closely with the Texas senator.

Cruz’s response: “I will not." . . .

As the government shutdown heads into day three, a number of Republican senators privately blame the Texas freshman for contributing to the mess their party finds itself in. And now that they’re in it, they say it’s up to Cruz to help find a solution.

“It was very evident to everyone in the room that Cruz doesn’t have a strategy – he never had a strategy, and could never answer a question about what the end-game was,” said one senator who attended the meeting. “I just wish the 35 House members that have bought the snake oil that was sold could witness what was witnessed today at lunch.”
=====================================

A conservative opinion article I read yesterday was making the point that the govt shutdown forced by republicans was the best possible thing they could have done to help the democrats and obamacare.
Instead of letting everyone see how bad Obamacare would be by letting it start, the republicans instead focused the attention (and backlash) on their selves by forcing the shutdown.
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

lummy

A conservative opinion article I read yesterday was making the point that the govt shutdown forced by republicans was the best possible thing they could have done to help the democrats and obamacare.
Instead of letting everyone see how bad Obamacare would be by letting it start, the republicans instead focused the attention (and backlash) on their selves by forcing the shutdown.

Eh, what backlash (as in, only righty backlash? The majority of polls blame both sides equally with about 17-20% blaming both sides. 70-80% people have a negative view of Obama and friends for refusing to talk to the Repubs, whether they are right or wrong.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

The author is conservative and she is blaming the house republicans for this fiasco.

Could you provide a source please. Every poll I've seen shows house republicans getting more than 50% of the blame
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Googling for "poll govt shutdown blame" shows the majority of polls are blaming the republicans. Heck, even Fox News is saying GOP dissaproval ratings are skyrocketing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=poll+government+shutdown+blame&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

>The majority of polls blame both sides equally with about 17-20% blaming both sides.

CBS poll: Fully 72 percent of Americans disapprove of shutting down the federal government over differences on the Affordable Care Act; 25 percent approve of this action. 44 percent of Americans blame the GOP, while 35 percent put more blame on President Obama and the Democrats in Congress.

CNN/ORC poll: 46 percent said they would blame Republicans on Capitol Hill for a government shutdown while 36 percent said they would hold Obama responsible.

FOX News poll: 42 percent blame either “Republican leaders” or “Tea party Republicans, such as Ted Cruz,”; 32 percent blamed Obama or “Democratic leaders, such as Harry Reid.”

devildog

***A conservative opinion article I read yesterday was making the point that the govt shutdown forced by republicans was the best possible thing they could have done to help the democrats and obamacare.

Eh, what backlash (as in, only righty backlash? The majority of polls blame both sides equally ....

Have you been at the Kool Aid again?

lummy

I kind of wonder about this..... if Obamacare is really the big steaming pile of shit that the republicans say it is, then at this point after going through the supreme court and trying 42 times to get it repealed, just let it go through. Let it go through, let it blow up and be as bad as they've said, they get the huge satisfaction of "we tried to save your asses and I told you so," and then they'll clean up so many votes in the next election. It would be a win-win all around for them. And don't tell me that they are doing this for the good of the country, because any political party is going to also do what is good for them politically if it's a major win and/or major shift in votes in their direction, and this would be that for them.

Seriously though, why not let it go through?

billvon

>The majority of polls blame both sides equally with about 17-20% blaming both sides.

CBS poll: Fully 72 percent of Americans disapprove of shutting down the federal government over differences on the Affordable Care Act; 25 percent approve of this action. 44 percent of Americans blame the GOP, while 35 percent put more blame on President Obama and the Democrats in Congress.

CNN/ORC poll: 46 percent said they would blame Republicans on Capitol Hill for a government shutdown while 36 percent said they would hold Obama responsible.

FOX News poll: 42 percent blame either “Republican leaders” or “Tea party Republicans, such as Ted Cruz,”; 32 percent blamed Obama or “Democratic leaders, such as Harry Reid.”

And for me this is all what it comes down to-- even if you don't like the ACA, it seems that most people are agreeing they don't want a government shut down over it. They agree you do not hold the government hostage over this. The minority group going crazy with this from the GOP in the house are shooting themselves in the foot, and they're taking down the moderate republicans with them and driving away the independent and moderate voters they need to start winning elections again. A shame, really.