regulator

LEO which understands standing up for your rights

Question -- if those guys were all African-American, wearing hoodies, and carrying openly like that, and peacefully protesting (for example) voter ID requirements, would they be exercising their constitutional rights?

Or would they be a threat?

Edited to add: How about hispanic, and protesting immigration policy?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm asking a question.

I don't think you're a racist (I like reading your posts). But based on other threads, I think that some of the people posting in this thread would see other groups, particularly dressed in "thugwear," as a threat, where they don't see people who look like them as a threat.

I'm hoping to have people consider that the next time they evaluate a threat, or their preconceptions.

Note that preconceptions can be earned -- I had a friend who was a police officer who worked in one of the less-desirable neighborhoods in Houston. 80% of the people he dealt with were, in fact, guilty of what they were accused of; it wasn't hard to understand why he thought most people were guilty. Nevertheless, he acted as though they were all innocent, knowing that his experience colored his thoughts. But he was still careful.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

people dressed as thugs, will be more likely to be considered thugs. It also depends on how people act.

I'm a proponent of behavioral profiling. Someone walking around wearing something covering most of their face, slouched over, looking around nervously is more likely a threat than someone wearing a shirt and tie with an uncovered face, standing up straight looking comfortable in their surroundings.

I don't think the color of someone's skin contributes to the perceived threat level. The way they behave determines their threat level. (yes, that includes being dressed in "thugwear")
--
Rob

My father was HPD during the 50's. He worked in 3rd and 5th ward. He also had to retire early from being stabbed in the back by a black woman while arresting her husband on an arrest warrant. You should have read the newspaper article. It showed that during the 50's, we have advanced quite a bit at making determinations of skin color in journalism. And if they were wearing thug wear with hoodies and ACTED like thugs then there would have been a shootout. IF they were wearing thug wear and acted like the men in that video I'm sure the same thing would have occurred. Nice of you to race bait like Jesse Jackson and Quannel X though.

Question -- if those guys were all African-American

Do you know there were not Blacks in the group?

wearing hoodies, and carrying openly like that, and peacefully protesting (for example) voter ID requirements, would they be exercising their constitutional rights?

Yes.

Edited to add: How about hispanic, and protesting immigration policy?

Race has nothing to do with it.... Rights are for Americans and people who are here legally. That is the beauty of rights and the Bill of Rights - They should be applied equally.

And some of them are not. Hence my generic reply.

Here we go.

Your reply was not generic, but I don't care to argue semantics with you.

It is interesting to note, however, that the 2nd says the right of the people ... shall not be infringed. It doesn't say citizens. A literal interpretation would imply that illegal aliens have the same right to be armed as any citizen.

- Dan G

DanG

And some of them are not. Hence my generic reply.

Here we go.

Your reply was not generic, but I don't care to argue semantics with you.

It is interesting to note, however, that the 2nd says the right of the people ... shall not be infringed. It doesn't say citizens. A literal interpretation would imply that illegal aliens have the same right to be armed as any citizen.

Huh, you claim to not want to argue semantics... Then you start.

Hypocrisy score 10/10

Once again... Personal attacks.... That the best you have?

You should read your own posts more often. They are about 50% personal attacks. You seem completely devoid of intellectual curiosity. I brought up what I though was an interesting side note on the 2nd Amendment wording, and you go into attack mode. It would suprise me not one bit to learn you were a paid NRA troll.

We really need an ignore poster option here.

- Dan G

rhaig

people dressed as thugs, will be more likely to be considered thugs....'by close-minded people who profile.'

Fixed that for you.

To answer Wendy, personally I would much prefer none of the above get to have armfuls of guns while they march around, or stand on street corners. I dont care if they are dressed in tutus, clown suits, ups uniforms, or whatever "thugwear" is.

I like your newspaper article. And you have to be massively aloof to not understand what thugwear is. That's when you have people with all of their under wear showing with their pants pulled down to their ankles. Isn't that the type of clothes you wear to the mall when trying to pick up man-dates?

They are about 50% personal attacks. You seem completely devoid of intellectual curiosity.

Oh look more personal attacks from you... It seems it is the best you can do.

I brought up what I though was an interesting side note on the 2nd Amendment wording, and you go into attack mode.

No, you claimed you didn't want to get into semantics.... then tried to get into semantics... Hypocrisy score 10/10.

It would suprise [SIC] me not one bit to learn you were a paid NRA troll.

And yet... More personal attacks... Proving once again that it is the best you can do.

regulator

I like your newspaper article. And you have to be massively aloof to not understand what thugwear is. That's when you have people with all of their under wear showing with their pants pulled down to their ankles. Isn't that the type of clothes you wear to the mall when trying to pick up man-dates?

You are really homophobic.

You attempt to make some sort of negatively slanted comment about homosexuals in like 85% of your posts.

You know what they say about the guy who yells the loudest?

I get quite flattered when a gay man finds me attractive, gay men generally have great taste.

Try dressing better and taking showers and a gay dude might compliment you one day and you can be less afraid of them.