regulator

Multiple stabbings of 'students' in high school

Only the people that preach about how unfair and unjust profiling is, and yet . . . we get this . . .

Behavioral profiling is fine in my book. Posting is a behavior.

Is the distinction between behavioral profiling and racial profiling too subtle for you?

- Dan G

DanG

Why do I have to have a point when I post an article? I just posted the article without saying a single thing about race and you jumped all over me. Now I'm taking the high road. Congratulations on your stance.

Jumped all over you? This is all I said:

Given your recent posting history, I'm forced to assume you're trying to say something bad about black people.

If you're going to make a bunch of recent posts about "the blacks", don't act so shocked when people assume you're talking about "the blacks" when you post a story about black people stabbing each other.

nothing in the article that I read gave any indication that anyone in it was black or white or yellow or red. That's coming from you.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

quade

***Also I was going to inquire about if any of you parents would be upset if your kids were at school and you couldn't get them. But I got sidetracked from all the sudden weight on my back.

You do realize you had all the time in the world to write that in your original post; right?

This is precisely the problem when people post articles without any comment whatsoever. Other people are going to naturally assume it's their "usual" SC agenda rather than some other point they might be trying to make.

I really thought that in the land of the free with a right to free speech, he has every right in the world to make whatever post he wants to the way he wants to do so. It's certainly inappropriate for a MODERATOR to jump all over him for things he didn't say in his post (and here we have 2 MODERATORS jumping on him...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.

DanG

Only the people that preach about how unfair and unjust profiling is, and yet . . . we get this . . .

Is the distinction between behavioral profiling and racial profiling too subtle for you?

Just like Zimmerman behaviorally profiled the fact that Trayvon Martin was behaving weirdly 'like he was on drugs or something' - and lo and behold, evidence finds drugs in Trayvon's system...

Andy9o8

***but I don't see any race implication at all

:S Really, Bill. Squint a little.

...Deaveon Brazil,...

so whites and latinos haven't been naming their kids goofy names in the last couple decades? I thought you had kids.

So you see a name and assume a race......pot meet kettle.

Dan's post was a very blatant PA and nothing is done about it. The prof has been getting away with it a lot lately too, and he's a great guy. but these forums seems to bring out the crap in people.

I still think the article is about the stupid school response and a statement about actions of violence not being specific to the type of weapon. not race. But I'm guilty of assuming it was a 'public' school.

It seems when people try to be sincerely color blind then they really get hammered by those that are incapable of even the effort. MLK is rolling over in his grave.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I want to apologize for being a douche. I was wrong to assume you were making a racial post. I reread the article, and I agree that I jumped to unsupported conclusions.

Sorry, I'll try to be less douchy in the future.

- Dan G

Crap, Dan - If you do a classy thing like that, what the heck are we going to bitch about?

:D

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

DanG

I want to apologize for being a douche. I was wrong to assume you were making a racial post. I reread the article, and I agree that I jumped to unsupported conclusions.

Sorry, I'll try to be less douchy in the future.

Kudos!

Very classy
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

skypuppy

I really thought that in the land of the free with a right to free speech, he has every right in the world to make whatever post he wants to the way he wants to do so.

He CAN say or post whatever. Doing so without explanation does, however, lead to confusion.

If a person is attempting to communicate something, then it's probably best for them and whatever point they're attempting to make by doing so, to be clear about it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

DanG

Are you so obsessed wit racism that you see it everywhere and in everything?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

DanG

Given your recent posting history, I'm forced to assume you're trying to say something bad about black people.

If you're going to make a bunch of recent posts about "the blacks", don't act so shocked when people assume you're talking about "the blacks" when you post a story about black people stabbing each other.

To the degree possible (we are human, and by nature this is a jousting forum), I think it's best to forget what people have written elsewhere and focus solely on the now. One reason for this is that many times memories can blur and it's easy to 'remember' a posting from a different person that often seems aligned with the current one.

Or put another way, just because [generic] you are wrong on one subject doesn't mean you're wrong on this one.