Fast

Fast Food Walk Out

Here's a quote from an article:

"I'm a single parent of three, and I'm living check to check," said Jemes, 24. "I only have enough to pay my rent, and I might be able to squeeze out the things that my kids need, but I'm not making enough."

Read more: http://www.wisn.com/news/money/Wave-of-fast-food-strikes-hits-50-cities/-/9373130/21695980/-/1567nt2/-/index.html#ixzz2dNlUToZs

The whole thing is talking about fast food workers wanting to make more money. I can understand the want to make more money, for sure. Who doesn't want more. The problem I have is expecting it out of a fast food job. The type of job that historically was held by teenagers who had no need to support themselves.

I can agree with paying a manager or other type of leader a reasonable wage, because it should be the glue that holds together something ran by people who are basically unskilled.

What I don't get is why someone who can't otherwise provide for themselves, decides to have 3 kids? That's the justification used for demanding more pay at a job the person shouldn't even be doing. It seems to me to just be another version of "we have to do this for the children" that gets trounced out anytime someone wants something. What about the children that are not able to get jobs to learn responsibility in high school cause adults are taking silly jobs that they should have moved past.

I dunno - it all speaks to "too many people, not enough,.. resources/space/jobs/anything". There are far too many people and far too many people who don't know how to prioritize and take personal responsibility.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

What I don't understand is how some people don't realize how the average job has changed in the US in the last 20 years.

We USED to be a country that manufactured things. Most of those jobs are now gone for good and are NEVER coming back.

The ONLY part of the economy that is actually healthy and there is significant job growth is the service industry.

People who have lost middle income manufacturing jobs, not just teenagers but normal adults, now HAVE to take whatever jobs they can find including jobs in the fast food industry.

The bare minimum wage simply does not cut it. Not by a long shot.

It also has ZERO to do with ambition or skill or education. In a lot of places these are the jobs that are available and that's it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

So, I can pay $10 for a Big Mac now.

Or I can pay an extra $15 in taxes that'll get dispersed via fancy social programs (After the gov makes $5 of that disappear into someone's pockets....)

lose lose situation

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I think this country NEEDS low skill, low paying jobs. They are "entry level" positions for a reason and should ve as they are intended - a springboard to other work.

Entry level McJob for $15 per hour? This is where entitlement has come.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

In a lot of places these are the jobs that are available and that's it.

Please...in my little burg in Ohio there are 1000+ jobs and not all are minimum wage/entry level. So, if you decide to not take the schooling that was included with your childhood we should subsidize you. Typical liberal thinking.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

quade

***I think this country NEEDS low skill, low paying jobs.

It also NEEDS medium wage jobs. Sadly, they have pretty much all dried up.

take action personally - go to the closest McD and give everyone a $5 tip in the store. don't wait for the government to force it. walk the talk. Clearly the food is worth it, right?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

airdvr

Please...in my little burg in Ohio there are 1000+ jobs and not all are minimum wage/entry level. So, if you decide to not take the schooling that was included with your childhood we should subsidize you. Typical liberal thinking.

God forbid you should retrain for something too :S
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

devildog

God forbid employers should pay the people on the front lines of their business more than what is simply required by law.

The country would be FAR better off if the employees were paid, say, Starbucks wages and benefits. If a burger did cost $15 then fewer people would eat them on a daily basis. Heath care for all could go down. I actually see nothing wrong with it at all.
quade -

quade

God forbid employers should pay the people on the front lines of their business more than what is simply required by law.
Many do. A no skill, "Would you like fries with that?" employee should not be making anywhere near as much money as other professions who get paid $15/hr that actually had to train and work for their job.

If you decide to settle into such a job for the long haul, not simply as a part-time teenage/college kid job, or as a stopgap while you find and/or train for something else, that's all on you. Your employer doesn't magically owe you an extra $16,000 a year just because you want it.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

quade

The country would be FAR better off if the employees were paid, say, Starbucks wages and benefits. If a burger did cost $15 then fewer people would eat them on a daily basis. Heath care for all could go down. I actually see nothing wrong with it at all.

This is the line for shoes comrade. The line for bread is over there.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

>The ONLY part of the economy that is actually healthy and there is significant job
>growth is the service industry.

Top 8 growth sectors in the ecoonomy, ranked by growth;

1) Financial services
2) Retail
3) Public education
4) Health care
5) Hospitality (hotels)
6)Manufacturing
7) Construction
8) Utilities/Transportation

>The bare minimum wage simply does not cut it. Not by a long shot.

Agreed. She should move up in the world. That way she gets a better paying job and opens that job up for some underskilled worker who would otherwise be unemployed.

>People who have lost middle income manufacturing jobs, not just teenagers but normal
> adults, now HAVE to take whatever jobs they can find including jobs in the fast food
>industry.

Or in financial services, or in education, or health care, or construction, or utilities.

>The country would be FAR better off if the employees were paid, say, Starbucks wages and benefits.

?? Starbucks employees ARE paid Starbuck wages and benefits. Jobs that do not require that level of service personnel pay less. Jobs that require more than that pay more.

airdvr

This is the line for shoes comrade. The line for bread is over there.

Nonsense! I'm not asking for the government to give your money to workers. I'm asking for companies to PAY their workers a decent wage.

That too is capitalism.
quade -

quade

If a burger did cost $15 then fewer people would eat them on a daily basis. Heath care for all could go down. I actually see nothing wrong with it at all.

Then said business will not be able to pay it's employees and will close. And said employees will then be out of work.

Having seen more than one aviation workers strike in the past few years, it reminds me of the unions here. They literally want paid close to or the same as engineering/sales/marketing people. For doing sheetmetal work. Sorry I didn't work my ass off in college to get paid less than the guy cutting metal.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

quade

***I think this country NEEDS low skill, low paying jobs.

It also NEEDS medium wage jobs. Sadly, they have pretty much all dried up.

The solution isn't to turn the entry-level low pay jobs of history into those medium-wage jobs. Those other jobs can come back. So long as the country tells employers and entrepeneurs to come on down by lessening regulatory hurdles, etc.

And there's something else: if you can't make a living at McDonald's, how about finding something else to do? Can't feed a family of four on McDonald's salary? Yes. That's why you don't have a family of four. It's called "birth control."

Yes, it sounds cold. Sympathy or empathy are also called "enabling."

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I see robot fast food dispensers on the horizon... :D

These people are on drugs if they think they're going to make over $30k/yr with benefits for pushing buttons shaped like food, mopping some floors, and doing basic math.

Anyone who has taken even the most basic macroeconomics course knows that high minimum wages increase unemployment, drive up input costs, which in-turn leads to higher prices.

If you want to make some bucks come pick strawberries in SoCal. It's HARD work, but it pays a LOT more than McD's.

NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

billvon

>The country would be FAR better off if the employees were paid, say, Starbucks wages and benefits.

?? Starbucks employees ARE paid Starbuck wages and benefits. Jobs that do not require that level of service personnel pay less. Jobs that require more than that pay more.

So Starbuck's and MCD have the same balance sheets? For you to make that comparison they must. i would guess its possible that maybe they pay more because it fits into their earnings model. Maybe they dont have the same margins, expenses etc...

I value companies for a living. i do not believe MCD's and Starbucks are comparables and neither do my peers. MCD's and Taco Bell are closer.

A more honest argument for you would be that you'd prefer to see the shareholders earn less and the workers earn more.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

>So Starbuck's and MCD have the same balance sheets?

Of course not. That's why Starbucks pay their workers more. They operate on different models.

>i would guess its possible that maybe they pay more because it fits into their earnings
>model. Maybe they dont have the same margins, expenses etc...

Right. That's what I am saying. Jobs that do not require Starbucks level of service personnel pay less. Jobs that require more than that pay more. They are not the same.

quade

What I don't understand is how some people don't realize how the average job has changed in the US in the last 20 years.

We USED to be a country that manufactured things. Most of those jobs are now gone for good and are NEVER coming back.

I am not sure I would say never. I have mentioned this before I am sure - but I would rather see corporations taxed for choosing to use out of country labor than see citizens taxed to pay welfare because all the jobs are overseas. The whole system is set up in a way that intentionally screws the average joe.

You must see the correlation there.

I also think that we need to educate people better on the decision to have 1 child when you can't afford it let alone three. It's not your right to be a drag on society because you want to have children and I want to be able to pay for a child before I have one.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Fast

It's not your right to be a drag on society because you want to have children and I want to be able to pay for a child before I have one.

Perhaps forced sterilization or a 1 child policy.

(Man, and people call ME comrade?)
quade -