masterrig

This judge needs to step-down...

Darius11

Not saying the guy is a saint, just saying there is a HUGE difference in a romantic relationship with a young girl underage girl and Rape.

no there isn't - an adult male does not get to count taking advantage of a child and call it a "romantic relationship with an underage girl"

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Hi Bertt,

In this case the guy was a teacher, which puts him in a supervisory relationship with students that legally and morally requires better judgement and more protective attitude and actions than just some old guy and some young girl.

Because of an absence of laws regarding this ( and the defense being 'that she willfully participated' ), Oregon passed a few laws that preclude any instructor at any level to be engaged in sex with anyone under 18. And if they are over 18 ( some high school students ) then it is also illegal if he is her instructor, i.e., some type of coach is usually the situation around here.

IIRC Statutory Rape in Oregon is anyone under 16. I worked with a guy who had a daughter who was 15 and having sex with an older buy. The co-worker tried to the DA to prosecute but the DA declined because the daughter was a willing participant. The DA said that he would never get a conviction.

Each state has their own laws and one is well advised to keep up with them.

JerryBaumchen

So this is exactly the same to you as someone grabbing her in the middle of the street beating the shit out of her and raping her?

You don’t think one is worst then the other?

Do you guys say what’s in your head ? Or do you say what you think people want to hear you say?

Not excusing the action, I just do see the difference.

Edit to add: The only thing that makes this guy a rapist is his age then? and that’s no different to you guys then a person who commits violent rapes. WOW
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

It looks like they do have mandatory minimums thus the 15 year sentence.
It also looks like there's several different reasons why the judge can "shelf" the prison time in exchange for parole.
With a little bit of luck them boys in Montana will find this guy and take him for a little walk into the woods!

JerryBaumchen

IIRC Statutory Rape in Oregon is anyone under 16. I worked with a guy who had a daughter who was 15 and having sex with an older buy. The co-worker tried to the DA to prosecute but the DA declined because the daughter was a willing participant. The DA said that he would never get a conviction.

I have a very good friend whose learned his underage daughter was dating a guy in his 20's. He also learned his wife had known about it for a couple years, since she had helped the daughter get birth-control pills. He was not happy about it, but after doing some thinking, decided not to try to prosecute, because:

1.) It would ruin his relationship with his daughter.

2.) He would cause a guy with no prior record, to suddenly become a "sex offender" for life.

Five years later, the daughter is now in college, and the couple is still together.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Darius11

So this is exactly the same to you as someone grabbing her in the middle of the street beating the shit out of her and raping her?

Do you guys say what’s in your head ? Or do you say what you think people want to hear you say?

Edit to add: The only thing that makes this guy a rapist is his age then? and that’s no different to you guys then a person who commits violent rapes. WOW

Rehm doesn't need me to be his advocate, but you're putting all sorts of shit in his mouth he didn't say, and didn't imply.

And I have it on good authority he's even (recently) stopped beating his wife.

Darius11

Let's see, end result of both being a woman (child in the OP case) is horrified beyond means, suffers immense psych damage (which btw, can be excruciatingly painful in the physical sense) and either suffers from major injury (as in your case) or is DEAD in the OP case. Yeah. I'm going out on a limb to say there's no overall difference as the damage in the end is the same, if not worse, in the OP case.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

Darius11

what's disturbing here is that you appear to not think it's a big deal unless it's attached to the completely different crime of assault. or even, that you think it's worse only if done by a stranger.

rape = rape
assault = assault

both are bad - the fact that you have to tie a totally different crime to it to make your point is pretty clear that you don't get it at all

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Depends on which street. If it's one I'm thinking of:
you punch your wife - people walking by say "bitch probably had it coming"
you punch a stranger - people walking by your body lying in the gutter say "bitch probably had it coming"

Back on point: the girl in this case wasn't a wife or a stranger. She was a student.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Darius11

there is a HUGE difference in a romantic relationship with a young girl underage girl and Rape.

Really? What if the girl is five years old? An infant?

I do agree there is a gradient of sorts, and some forms of rape are more horrible than others, but none of them are so non-injurious that they deserve "not really a rape" consideration. I could see a 30 day sentence (or less) being appropriate for an 18 year old boy having sex with his 17 year old girlfriend when both desired it. This, however, is not remotely comparable to a 49 year old teacher and his 14 year old student who eventually committed suicide to escape the other consequences.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Bertt

Depends on which street. If it's one I'm thinking of:
you punch your wife - people walking by say "bitch probably had it coming"
you punch a stranger - people walking by your body lying in the gutter say "bitch probably had it coming"

Back on point: the girl in this case wasn't a wife or a stranger. She was a student.

You probably missed the part where we were talking about the act being in the eyes of the law. :S