npgraphicdesign

Do you have to be a Christian to do good deeds?

I was in Starbucks yesterday waiting for my coffee order, and I saw some gentleman order his coffee, and he then proceeded to pay for the 2 people behind him. The cashier smiled and thanked him, and so did the people. Then the cashier asked him this question:

"Are you a Christian?"

To which the guy said no. The cashier then asked "So you just like to do a good deed here and there?" The guy said yes, got his coffee, thanked him, and walked out.

The cashier's question surprised me a bit. So in his mind, did he think that the only people that do good deeds are Christians? Was a pretty unusual question, at least in my mind.

npgraphicdesign

I was in Starbucks yesterday waiting for my coffee order, and I saw some gentleman order his coffee, and he then proceeded to pay for the 2 people behind him. The cashier smiled and thanked him, and so did the people. Then the cashier asked him this question:

"Are you a Christian?"

To which the guy said no. The cashier then asked "So you just like to do a good deed here and there?" The guy said yes, got his coffee, thanked him, and walked out.

The cashier's question surprised me a bit. So in his mind, did he think that the only people that do good deeds are Christians? Was a pretty unusual question, at least in my mind.

No you do not have to be obviously but I think a lot of good Christian communities are "service" focused and things like this are often done by Christians because their community and churches know what an impact this kind of thing makes. The question was probably based on previous experiences. Not really a crazy question because we often frame things as a result of the experiences we have had.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

I would have been confused had I been asked that question.
WTF?

Andrea and I have a tendency to pay for other's meals.
This past weekend having brunch, table behind us was the gentleman's 86'th birthday!
We paid for their lunch and left. It's better to just do it and them not know - some people are too proud to accept random kindness.

normiss

WTF?

This past weekend having brunch, table behind us was the gentleman's 86'th birthday!
We paid for their lunch and left. It's better to just do it and them not know - some people are too proud to accept random kindness.

Exactly. People don't have to be of a certain faith/race/gender to do good deeds, whether it's buying someone a coffee, paying someone's toll, helping change a tire, etc...

And good on you and Andrea for doing that. B|

This is an aspect of religion that many anti-religion people overlook: good deeds. Of course the answer is very clearly NO! You do not have to be Christian OR religious in any way to do good deeds. But oftentimes religious communities promote good deeds. For a time, when I was younger, living in Vancouver and having a hard time finding work, I would occasionally visit the Sikh temple. Not because I am Sikh, but because they have a tradition of feeding people who are down on their luck. There was no attempt to convert or make us pray or anything. All that was asked was we washed our hands before and after and that the men cover their heads. Great north Indian food, too. prepared for members of the community with food donated by members of the community. I sent their temple a donation once I was back on my feet again.
I was once asked by an evangelical christian the question "What if we are right and there is a God that you will have to stand before, in judgment?" My reply was "Then I will tell God that I lived my life the best I could, and I did it without the fear of judgment." I make mistakes, but I try my best. I am no Christian.
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

Absolutely, it balances out the fact that only the same people can be racist and sexist.....

for the slow people - comment is tongue in cheek in order to just highlight the silliness of either comment

(and maybe the cashier didn't have a bias, maybe they see this all the time and was trying to figure out who walks their talk and who doesn't - maybe that cashier has some interesting results if they asked the question frequently.....)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

npgraphicdesign

"Are you a Christian?"

No
there are many good people out there
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rehmwa

Absolutely, it balances out the fact that only the same people can be racist and sexist.....

for the slow people - comment is tongue in cheek in order to just highlight the silliness of either comment

(and maybe the cashier didn't have a bias, maybe they see this all the time and was trying to figure out who walks their talk and who doesn't - maybe that cashier has some interesting results if they asked the question frequently.....)

:D to the beginning of your post and great point to close.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

normiss

WTF?

My Birthday is coming up . . .

I'm not proud . . .
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

npgraphicdesign

"Are you a Christian?"

Hah, what a douchebag clerk.

Cool dude though.

I had a dude at Kohl's one day in front of me and he had all these coupons and gift cards. He just randomly put them towards my stuff, saved me like 100 bucks. Pretty cool.

To answer the original ?: No.

What a douche bag idea to carry around.

normiss

WTF?

Legit.

You really do believe in rainbows.