mistercwood

Personal Armed Drones and the 2nd Amendment

quade

Tell us something we DON'T know.

Building a basic quad-copter just takes time, money and at least an average IQ. We're talking about the feasibility and legality of ARMING one (which is considerably different).

Again... outside of electric cars, wind turbines, and global warming, you are Incredibly Anti-Science.

And I'm surprised you never posted about this girl; since this could drastically effect car batteries.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/05/20/this-teens-invention-means-you-could-you-charge-your-cellphone-in-less-than-30-seconds/

This would totally be legal.

First of all... its States Rights. If the Federal government passed laws banning them, it would be equally as illegal as the Controlled Substance Act.

Second... it would totally be legal if utilized within your own home. I would much rather fly a drone down stairs to look around, in the middle of the night, then go down with my rifle. Killing intruders with a drone from your bedroom, would be far safer.

popsjumper

************You mean the zeroth and the first? Or did you inten to bring in entropy and I missed something.

Think about it.

Geez...THAT was helpful.

Yep. Figuring things out for yourself is always better than having to be told.
So, you're saying that there's no need for teachers and schools?

(WooooHoooo!...an opportunity to use a bogus comeback. A skill learned from the pros.)

Kennedy: Well, give me credit for at least trying to get a straight answer.
[:/]

A good teacher teaches the students how to figure out things for themselves. Not that I'd expect you to know that.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

dmcoco84

***Tell us something we DON'T know.

Building a basic quad-copter just takes time, money and at least an average IQ. We're talking about the feasibility and legality of ARMING one (which is considerably different).

Again... outside of electric cars, wind turbines, and global warming, you are Incredibly Anti-Science.

And I'm surprised you never posted about this girl; since this could drastically effect car batteries.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/05/20/this-teens-invention-means-you-could-you-charge-your-cellphone-in-less-than-30-seconds/

"Khare described her device as a “supercapacitor",
Supercapacitors have been around a long time - she didn't invent it.

This would totally be legal.

First of all... its States Rights. If the Federal government passed laws banning them, it would be equally as illegal as the Controlled Substance Act.

Second... it would totally be legal if utilized within your own home. I would much rather fly a drone down stairs to look around, in the middle of the night, then go down with my rifle. Killing intruders with a drone from your bedroom, would be far safer.

Let us know when you, pro-science guy, have perfected it.

As one who has actually built a working drone, I am inclined to agree with quade that making an effective armed drone is going to be difficult. Tell us YOUR experience of making drones that work.

A good teacher teaches the students how to figure out things for themselves....

...to come up with the wrong applications and answers and be useless in the real world. You've exposed yourself as being unconcerned with the welfare of your students.

Glad I didn't apply that philosophy when teaching skydiving students.

Let's get back to the topic at hand.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

As one who has actually built a working drone, I am inclined to agree with quade that making an effective armed drone is going to be difficult. Tell us YOUR experience of making drones that work

Your experience making your toy has no bearing on his statement.

The one in the OPs vid seemed pretty doggone effective to me.
It did everything asked of it....and did it well.

popsjumper

A good teacher teaches the students how to figure out things for themselves....

...to come up with the wrong applications and answers and be useless in the real world. You've exposed yourself as being unconcerned with the welfare of your students.

Glad I didn't apply that philosophy when teaching skydiving students.

Let's get back to the topic at hand.

My students get very well paying jobs. Employers like problem solvers.

You appear to know very little about teaching, but keep digging.

popsjumper

As one who has actually built a working drone, I am inclined to agree with quade that making an effective armed drone is going to be difficult. Tell us YOUR experience of making drones that work

Your experience making your toy has no bearing on his statement.

The one in the OPs vid seemed pretty doggone effective to me.
It did everything asked of it....and did it well.

Apparently you missed the bit that said "Fortunately, the poor card players that went down in a hail of drone-borne gunfire last year was a family of prop dummies, and the bullets were computer generated."

Tell us YOUR experience of making a drone that works.

It's nice to see you use "apparently" and "appear to" as opposed to the usual blind attacks.

Jes' pickin' atchya. Of course we want the help them make good decisions on their own. Leading them to come up with their own answers is a good thing...provided we just didn't leave them hanging when they miss the boat.

:D:D
So you did catch the 'computer-generated' bit. Good for you.
Score 1 for you.

popsjumper

It's nice to see you use "appear to" as opposed to the usual blind attacks.

Jes' pickin' atchya. Of course we want the help them make good decisions on their own. Leading them to come up with their own answers is a good thing...provided we just didn't leave them hanging when they miss the boat.

:D:D
So you did catch the 'computer-generated' bit. Good for you.
Score 1 for you.

Tell us your personal experience of building and flying a drone, Andy.

And I'll post photos of my five "Excellence in Teaching Awards" - three more than any other prof in the 120 year history of my university.

I thought about it. I even talked to a professor and post doc at the local university. Neither was sure what you were talking about. One gave me a mind numbing "overview and summary" of laser issues today. Apparently the prof specialized in argon and argon mix lasers, and the post doc interned with an unnamed company with DARPA contracts, focusing on LaWS-like systems.

I picked the wrong people to ask. :|

witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Kennedy

I thought about it. I even talked to a professor and post doc at the local university. Neither was sure what you were talking about. One gave me a mind numbing "overview and summary" of laser issues today. Apparently the prof specialized in argon and argon mix lasers, and the post doc interned with an unnamed company with DARPA contracts, focusing on LaWS-like systems.

I picked the wrong people to ask. :|

And after your talk, do you still believe they are going to shrink to "hand held"?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I won't rule it out, but were further from it than I thought. A few revolutionary breakthroughs and we're there. That's not so far, right? :P

Honesty though, it's always impossible until somebody does it.

witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

And after your talk, do you still believe they are going to shrink to "hand held"?

Wouldn't that depend on output power right now? But then, who knows what the future may bring. I'm waiting to see what happens.

popsjumper

Wouldn't that depend on output power right now? But then, who knows what the future may bring. I'm waiting to see what happens.

Yes, once we get get the dilithium crystal alignment problem solved...that will do it. Remind me to ask Mr. Scott about his progress on that.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

popsjumper

Let me add to your irrelevant teaching awards:

So now you're just bitter that your bluff was called.

You know bugger-all about drones. I have built one that works.

Getting back to the video in the OP, the drone itself looks like a cgi from the same folks that did Avatar's war machines. I am not aware of any real drones that are controlled in that way (basically because it's a silly way to do it).

quade

Yes, once we get get the dilithium crystal alignment problem solved...that will do it. Remind me to ask Mr. Scott about his progress on that.

You just may be onto something there.
OTOH, you may be simplistically subscribing to JK's Future Prediction Machine. GIGO.

Once again, you flatter yourself. Ego is a burden.

You know bugger-all about drones.

I had no idea you knew me well enough to dream that.

I have built one that works.

Congratulations!

That drone in the video is 100% CGI, its from FPSRussia channel on Youtube. It was done up for one of the Call Of Duty video game launches a year or two year back. The Pentagon when nuts when the video was released since they thought it was real and demanded to know how to get them. It was a huge joke at the time and its still a joke.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

popsjumper

Congratulations!

Bitterness becomes you.

kallend

Congratulations!

Bitterness becomes you.

Next step: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-32MVT6tjg :ph34r:
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama