normiss

Internet sales tax?

BOHICA

I'm positive this will impact internet business - not in a good way.

Hmmm, did you care that Internet sales fucked with brick and mortar sales or did you only care about getting the lowest possible price regardless of who else got fucked over?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Personally I don't care about Internet sales tax. I know everything I've bought on the Internet, I've paid sales tax on, you? On another point if I may, I pay taxes on my pay check, EVERYTHING I buy, anywhere. I want to know when do the taxes stop. I'm personally sick and tired of paying tax, upon tax.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

The states want their cut. Each one different than every other one. Painful for the seller. Heck, in our state, my wife has to figure out the local tax rules too for people that live in the metro vs out of metro. It's nuts.

Simple solution - If the States MUST take their cut, then have internet sales be a low single tax regardless of where the buyer lives.

Make the states compete for that business. They'll have to lower their taxes to match or risk losing all those "brick and mortar" businesses.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

This I would support.

The by county tax will be too much of a headache for small business I expect.

Free shipping and no tax has a LOT of buyer influence on the interwebs IMO.

We make this budgetary decision ALL the time.
Foreign cars still outselling their American competitors for very similar reasons. It's not a level playing field for MANY businesses. This new tax is no different from any other gooberment meddling in business at the expense of US.
More out of pocket, more job loss.

Duh. This is America, home of Walmart.
There's your answer.

Personally, this will most likely increase my local purchasing of some items to be sure.

Amazon will have layoffs.

Amazon SUPPORTS the bill.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The states want their cut. Each one different than every other one. Painful for the seller. Heck, in our state, my wife has to figure out the local tax rules too for people that live in the metro vs out of metro. It's nuts.

Simple solution - If the States MUST take their cut, then have internet sales be a low single tax regardless of where the buyer lives.

Make the states compete for that business. They'll have to lower their taxes to match or risk losing all those "brick and mortar" businesses.

Better solution would be to eliminate sales tax altogether. That would also level the field. Raise revenues by a more progressive method.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

There's your answer.

Personally, this will most likely increase my local purchasing of some items to be sure.

Amazon SUPPORTS the bill.

That is because it is about to become a moot point for them. In order to speed up deliveries, they are putting distribution centers all over the nation, which is making them subject to sales tax anyway.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

BOHICA

Not just internet businesses, but small brick and mortar businesses that people seem to think this will help.

Many small businesses already have an online presence via ebay, amazon or others. A number of these businesses would have already been taken out by the big box stores if they did not seek sales online. Many of these small businesses are going to suffer.

However you may feel about the issue, don't get any warm and fuzzy feelings thinking the small brick and mortar business is the winner here.

the large internet sellers are pushing this bill. it will be very difficult to collect local sales taxes when there are hundreds if not thousands of different taxes that would need to be collected, held and paid to the IRS. The large retailers, ie Amazon, have no problem because they can afford to hire the people needed to sort this out and write a program to monitor it. Small internet sellers will not and will be forced to pay someone to administer this for them. Take a guess who plans on being the administrator and already has the software? if you guessed large retailers, your correct.

" The Tax Foundation estimates there are 9,646 different sales-tax jurisdictions in the U.S., each one of which can have dozens or hundreds of different tax rules." from WSJ column

This bill is about Amazon putting the small sellers out of biz by making their cost to operate to high. they want them tied up trying to figure out the different sales taxes in different communities. Dem's are on board because they support higher taxes no matter the consequence. Its their heroin. Republican's will get on board eventually because Amazon and their kind will eventually buy them off.

The little guy who you like to buy things from at his Ebay store will soon be gone. Amazon stock will go up and all the taxes will get wasted. yeah, America

(edited to add quote)
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

kallend

Better solution would be to eliminate sales tax altogether.

Agree, (I deleted your extra nonsense:P).

BUT, if they did your common sense action, then how on earth will the Feds shoe-horn in a VAT later?

????

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

ManagingPrime

BOHICA

Not just internet businesses, but small brick and mortar businesses that people seem to think this will help.

I think it's hilarious that the brick and mortar businesses are complaining and want the internet guys don't pay the tax too.

The real attack should be the brick and mortar complaining that they have to pay the tax itself. Instead of lobbying for higher taxes on their competitors, they need to lobby for eliminating the cumbersome load by the states.

I'm still trying to figure out if this whole tax thing is even constitutional.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this bill being proposed in the Senate? Isn't most sales tax state taxes? When did the Federal Government get the power to tell states how to tax?

Or are these new taxes going to be Federal Sales taxes?
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

rehmwa

I think it's hilarious that the brick and mortar businesses are complaining and want the internet guys don't pay the tax too.

The real attack should be the brick and mortar complaining that they have to pay the tax itself. Instead of lobbying for higher taxes on their competitors, they need to lobby for eliminating the cumbersome load by the states.

They don't pay it, they just collect it.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

jgoose71

I'm still trying to figure out if this whole tax thing is even constitutional.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this bill being proposed in the Senate? Isn't most sales tax state taxes? When did the Federal Government get the power to tell states how to tax?

Or are these new taxes going to be Federal Sales taxes?

It's arguably constitutional because it simply allows the states to collect the tax, it doesn't require it. Without the legislation, the states wouldn't have been authorized to collect the tax because the transaction usually wouldn't have been deemed to have taken place inside the collecting state.

normiss

There's your answer.

what I read about it, amazon is supporting this legislation because they now have so many local distribution centers they pay in those jurisdictions anyways....
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

I would rather not have a state income tax (We don't have one in Texas) but if local sales taxes are constantly eroded by Internet merchants than the current tax system won't last.

This isn't even a new tax. The consumers are supposed to be paying this tax already, but I don't think many (if any) do.

Southern_Man

They don't pay it, they just collect it.

true, thanks for the correction. But you missed the point. The shops lose out on business, so they still are penalized, aren't they?