Kennedy

PD Forcing Residents From Home During Boston Manhunt

Do you really think those officers were asking for permission to enter the premesis?

I suppose I doubt it, given their probable high-adrenaline state. The facts of these stories should probably come out in the next wave of news reporting; should be interesting.

And if we the people do not exorcise our rights, they will go away

:| So many straight lines, so little time.

With the first warm weather we've had this year I thought I'd do some exorcising in the park for a change. Got some really funny looks.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

>Do you really think those officers were asking for permission to enter the premesis?

They probably were NOT saying "may we please come in, ma'am, and just take a quick peek around? If not no big deal." Nor were they saying "ON THE FLOOR NOW SHEEPLE SCUM!"

They were probably saying something more reasonable than whatever is going on in your imagination, and people were reacting more reasonably than the Internet heroes here are claiming they would. Most people are pretty reasonable despite what Speaker's Corner thinks.

What's the most you ever lost on a coin toss?

a quarter....it bounced off my hand and fell off of the dock

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Have you seen the video???
I'm surprised the door and/or window didn't break from his polite "knocking".
Followed by screaming at people held at gun point to exit the house with their hands on their heads.

Sounds like reasonable treatment for law abiding citizens?
[:/]

>I'm surprised the door and/or window didn't break from his polite "knocking".

Like I said, the truth probably lies between your strawman and your imaginary jackbooted thugs.

>Sounds like reasonable treatment for law abiding citizens?

It's not. They screwed up.

The real issue as I stated several days ago though is, how else are you going to do it?

At some point, the cops have to enter the property to search it. That's not a Constitutional question or an asshole question or anything else. It's simply a practical matter. One way or another, they have to do it.

It is, impractical to get individual search warrants for every house in a ten block radius on a moment's notice.

Is there some legal method for getting a blanket warrant for the entire search area?

No, it IS a constitutional question
REGARDLESS of what is going on, they have no right, pratical or otherwise to enter my home with a warrent or permission

This is not debatable

Then why is a debate going on?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

They had to make a new procedure book for this instance, but I am sure that it had stuff that conflicted with restrictions on all of their other ones!

You say this based on your extensive experience with police work and police policy?

Police policy is based on the law, it typically further restricts an officer and defines how that officer will react for certain broad situations in regards to the law. The policy doesn't circumvent the laws of their state and in the rare instances that it has drastic results are typical (lawsuits, loss of jobs, etc). Departments typically have their city's legal department pour through the policies to verify that the polices do not violate law. Officers tend to look at the department's policy as a safety blanket, operate with in the law and operate with in the department policy and that protects them from a lot of liability (and keeps them from losing their job), which is contrary to what you see on TV where officers try to buck policy/law to get a job done. That is atypical in the real world of policing.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

>Do you really think those officers were asking for permission to enter the premesis?

They probably were NOT saying "may we please come in, ma'am, and just take a quick peek around? If not no big deal." Nor were they saying "ON THE FLOOR NOW SHEEPLE SCUM!"

They were probably saying something more reasonable than whatever is going on in your imagination, and people were reacting more reasonably than the Internet heroes here are claiming they would. Most people are pretty reasonable despite what Speaker's Corner thinks.

enough of the speculation already.

And if we the people do not exorcise our rights, they will go away

:| So many straight lines, so little time.

With the first warm weather we've had this year I thought I'd do some exorcising in the park for a change. Got some really funny looks.

I bet that got your spirits up.

>Then we clearly have 180 degree differences in acceptable police behavior

No, we don't. But you've stopped reading anything from me and have started making assumptions about what I think, so you're not able to see it. And if that's the way you like it - go for it.

Dave, you're the LEO in the room. Care to opine - directly - on the elephant in the room?

I'm guessing Dave wants to remain a professional about this and not comment since no matter what he says could potentially have ramifications.

Let's respect his fifth.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'm guessing Dave wants to remain a professional about this and not comment since no matter what he says could potentially have ramifications.

Let's respect his fifth.

the first part may well be true- but the 5th doesn't apply to his assessment of the behavior of others.

Let's respect his fifth.

the first part may well be true- but the 5th doesn't apply to his assessment of the behavior of others.

I thought he was referring to his bottle of spirits.

Let's respect his fifth.

More of a metaphor in this case.
quade -

Did you watch the video in the OP? It's pretty clear they were a lot closer to the latter. I didn't see any asking. I saw clear, loud, "command presence" voice being used to give orders, not to make requests.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

An officer can get in deep shit for critiquing other officers, even if e is correct and tries to maintain a professional bearing. Also, most cops won't pass judgment on other cops without having the whole picture, because so much of what cops do is based on immediate reaction to "the totality of the circumstances". Without having been there, or at least heard both sides' full account, it's rare that a video can give you the entire story.

Be tht as it may, something's are so insanely wron that its hard to imagine any reasonable explanation, even for the creative.

I'm still waiting to find out if this was just one or two houses immediately adjacent to the path #2 took from the ditched car, or if this was done to every house in and around the perimeter. It seems wrong regardless, but the first would be a lot less wrong and a lot more easily explained than the second.

edit: spelling
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

More of a metaphor in this case.

maybe this is the problem. We're talking about rights, and you're talking about metaphors.

I'm talking about Dave, one of our friends who could potentially get fucked over depending on statements he makes on-line.

What I'm saying is, be cool and don't make judgements based on if he decides not to participate in this discussion.
quade -