Kennedy

PD Forcing Residents From Home During Boston Manhunt

Really? Big fan of the Westboro Baptists then?

I dislike their message but I don't hate them because they speak it. I am against any sort of government imposed limits on their speech rights.

Eh, you're nailed. They have free speech rights; the govt shouldn't limit them; they're still assholes.

Some douche lawyer in Toronto, who puts out a lot of anti-govt tweets, apparently tweeted "Officer Down" celebrating Officer Collier's murder. Utterly vile and abhorrent. It's protected under Canada's free speech laws. But he's still a fucking asshole.

I didn't say "libertarians."
Let me see if I can make it more clear. If during an event such as this a person is not helping the police to capture a terrorist and cop killer, then that person is an asshole.

What do you mean by "not helping?" Does "not helping" include letting them search my property when I am not required to? Because if so, I'm an asshole. Warrant or get off my porch.

Yes. Doing that would be, in my opinion, assholishness because the person doing it is slowing down the process of capturing the terrorist and cop killer. Every second a person stands at their door, locks it, requires the cops to kick it down anyway . . . that person is helping the terrorist and cop killer . . . by tying up forces which could be moving forward to the next location.

A person may, in fact, be completely within their rights to do so, but it also makes them assholes.

Well, in this particular case, the whole "lockdown" slowed the process down didn't it?

Wasn't it after the "stand-down" that the resident went outside and noticed the blood and disturbed boat cover?

In this case the whole "lockdown" and man-hunt and all that bullshit accomplished exactly...

Nothing. They could have captured him hours earlier if they hadn't had everyone "sheltering in place", shut up in their houses.

And the Westboro Baptists are assholes. Exercising their rights in a manner deliberately designed to piss people off.

But telling a cop "You can't search my house without a warrant"?
Refusing to allow an unwarranted, unreasonable search?

I don't see that as being anything but reasonable.

Edit to add:

"False security"?!?

So, you're saying this entire thing was staged so cops could just search homes without warrants?

"False Security"?!?

No, they obviously didn't stage this to conduct illegal searches.

But they sure took advantage of people's fears and the scaremongering by the media to conduct those warrantless searches.

And yes, False Sense of Security.

Again, what did all the lockdown, illegals searches, and media hype accomplish?

It allowed Tsarnayev to stay hidden all day long because the owner of the boat wasn't able to go outside and check it. And apparently, even thought it was just a few blocks from the end of the chase, the cops never checked it either.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Does anybody know, facts, not spec or news rumor, what they were doing with houses where nobody answered the door? Move on? Kick the door in? The size of the backlash might depend on the level of damage, might be a lot of property damage and lawsuits here... How many doors, how many places did they actually break their way in? None? Few? Dozens? Hundreds?

Video proves they collected anyone who answered the door at gunpoint but what if you either weren't home or pretended you weren't and didn't answer? I don't think we actually know much about the real situation, what actually transpired. Are there 1000 residents all came home last week to find their doors destroyed and homes open and ransacked "drug search style"? Or just broken doors? I'm suspending judgement till I've got a clue actually. That whole episode looks like the intro to "half-life 2" so over the top I'm not sure I'm buying it. Something fishy here. Media hype? Waiting for more facts.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Let me see if I can make it more clear. If during an event such as this a person is not helping the police to capture a terrorist and cop killer, then that person is an asshole.

What do you mean by "not helping?" Does "not helping" include letting them search my property when I am not required to? Because if so, I'm an asshole. Warrant or get off my porch.

Yes. Doing that would be, in my opinion, assholishness because the person doing it is slowing down the process of capturing the terrorist and cop killer. Every second a person stands at their door, locks it, requires the cops to kick it down anyway . . . that person is helping the terrorist and cop killer . . . by tying up forces which could be moving forward to the next location.

A person may, in fact, be completely within their rights to do so, but it also makes them assholes.

So according to you, expecting those who enforce the law to follow it is being an asshole? Shoot Paul, I thought you were a fan of civil liberty. Where do you draw the line? Should we give up constitutional protection for everyone who kills two or more? All murderers? Felons? All criminals? You want to allow raids. That is undoing the fourth. Why? What do you think you're gaining that's more valuable than the rule of law? What'll it take to convince you we should shred the rest of the fourth. Maybe we should allow excessive force during emergencies. Maybe you want to stop the spread of false or sensitive info. Should we shred the first? (I should say the rest of the first, since the "shelter in place" order already crushed the right to peacably assemble)

Just how much would you give up? And why call folks assholes who wouldn't do it? Plenty of folks would think you're being an asshole for offering up their rights at the altar of a false sense of security.

"False security"?!?

So, you're saying this entire thing was staged so cops could just search homes without warrants?

"False Security"?!?

What the hell are you talking about? I didn't say anything about anything being staged. I said you're offering to shred the constitution for a false sense of security. I don't think we'll be safer or feel better if we have no rights and allow police to be militarized and walk all over the population. Apparently you do.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

How do you do a sweep of a neighborhood looking for a terrorist?

The same way you do any other murderer. Have a warrant or consent. Picking any house that *may* contain a criminal isn't good enough.

In this particular instance, all of the unconstitutional searches proved fruitless. What worked? An entirely legal search by a property owner who then consented to police entry. There's value in recognizing that distinction.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

in this particular case, the whole "lockdown" slowed the process down didn't it?
Wasn't it after the "stand-down" that the resident went outside and noticed the blood and disturbed boat cover?
In this case the whole "lockdown" and man-hunt and all that bullshit accomplished exactly...
Nothing. They could have captured him hours earlier if they hadn't had everyone "sheltering in place", shut up in their houses.

You guys who are saying that don't know that; it's completely speculative. It also cleared a whole area so that any movement would be noticed and not caught-up & potentially camouflaged in all the routine traffic & activity. It probably kept the perp pinned down. It kept other civvies & their vehicles off the street so the perp couldn't commit another carjacking. It kept civvies off the street so that if there was another firefight there'd be less chance of civvies being hit by stray fire or taken hostage.

All this tactical Monday morning quarterbacking I'm hearing from non-experts is for the birds.

Really? Big fan of the Westboro Baptists then?

I dislike their message but I don't hate them because they speak it. I am against any sort of government imposed limits on their speech rights.

Eh, you're nailed. They have free speech rights; the govt shouldn't limit them; they're still assholes.

Some douche lawyer in Toronto, who puts out a lot of anti-govt tweets, apparently tweeted "Officer Down" celebrating Officer Collier's murder. Utterly vile and abhorrent. It's protected under Canada's free speech laws. But he's still a fucking asshole.

Eh, you're probably right. I don't really feel like defending those guys. I do feel like it is important to recognize their free speech rights even when (maybe most especially when) they are being assholes.

Paul can think I'm an asshole for not consenting to a warrant less search if he wants. I'm still not consenting.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

http://www.infowars.com/shocking-footage-americans-ordered-out-of-homes-at-gunpoint-by-swat-teams/
(Go ahead and skip the text on infowars, they're freaking insane, but it's a good set of pics)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2313249/Boston-bomber-search-Moment-SWAT-teams-ordered-innocent-neighbors-houses-GUNPOINT.html
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I'm thinking of the Gun confiscations that occurred during Katrina. Such as the Father and son on their boat trying to save their belonging. State Police pull up along side of them with AR 15 raised and asked them if they had any weapons on board. They said yes, we are trying to sav...... and with that had weapons drawn on them and told to raise their hands and move to the back of the boat.

Their guns where taken from them and they refused to leave any paper work stating they were taken. Took months, and attorney fees to have the guns returns.

"Can we search your house?"

"Warrant? No? Then, no you cannot. I have secured my household, thanks for offering. Good day officers."

THAT'S how we do it.
What part confuses you?

This. It's a perfectly legal response that doesn't involve a bunch of boot-licking. I'll search my private property and the police can search public property (and any private property in which they're invited or have probable cause).

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

You guys who are saying that don't know that; it's completely speculative. It also cleared a whole area so that any movement would be noticed and not caught-up & potentially camouflaged in all the routine traffic & activity. It probably kept the perp pinned down. It kept other civvies & their vehicles off the street so the perp couldn't commit another carjacking. It kept civvies off the street so that if there was another firefight there'd be less chance of civvies being hit by stray fire or taken hostage.

All this tactical Monday morning quarterbacking I'm hearing from non-experts is for the birds.

It also paralysed a major US city to catch a 19 yo kid who wasn't really trying that hard to stay out of sight, never mind leave town. Proving that with 20 kids, you could shut down the entire country.

False clearing a whole area isn't really progress, but it's in house arrest for all the people who live there. As a lawyer I would hope you could appreciate that this isn't China or a member of the USSR empire.

in this particular case, the whole "lockdown" slowed the process down didn't it?

I don't know about that. It isn't speculation that the cops couldn't find him. It isn't speculation that he was found by the homeowner who noticed the boat cover was disturbed. It's reasonable to believe that the homeowner would have checked the boat and made the discovery a lot sooner if he hadn't been "sheltering in place."

He took shelter in the boat really close to where the chase ended. When did that happen?
Probably fairly soon after the chase.

It's entirely possible he was waiting for daylight so that he could carjack another vehicle and try to escape, but get marginally real.
If he'd tried to move at all during daylight, he would have been spotted.
Do you really think nobody would have noticed him? Especially wounded and covered in blood?
And I hope any civilian who spotted him would run for cover, knowing he was armed and dangerous. (of course, a lot of idiots would have stood there, running the video camera, while bullets were flying).

And trying to escape during morning rush hour in Boston would have been as stupid as most of the other mistakes he and his brother made.

No, I think he would have been captured several hours earlier if they hadn't panicked and done what they did.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

You are seriously saying that giving the government (of varying levels and offices in this case) the freedom to suspend, at will, the parts of the constitution they deem necessary to do their jobs any way they want to???

That sir, absolutely terrifies me.
It's absolute insanity.

It would also typically ruin most of the legal case, but that's another issue entirely.

[Reply]When a dozen cops are on a person's street going door to door looking for a terrorist and cop killer, it's actually ok to cut them a little fucking slack.

Cut the cops some slack? You mean the ones who are pounding on the door, putting weapons in the face and ordering peaceful occupants the hell out with their hands above their heads?

Yes, I feel bad for those cops. All those citizens on their asses. "We're protecting these people and they just don't appreciate it."

My wife is hotter than your wife.

>You are seriously saying that giving the government (of varying levels and offices
>in this case) the freedom to suspend, at will, the parts of the constitution they deem
>necessary to do their jobs any way they want to?

To protect the populace against imminent danger, yes, they can violate a whole lot of the Constitution. They can imprison you without trial. They can take your stuff. They can even kill you.

The problem was not the right to do that. They have that. The problem was that this one guy was such an "imminent danger" that they needed to pull people out of their homes in large areas. It was bad judgment on their part.

It also paralysed a major US city to catch a 19 yo kid who wasn't really trying that hard to stay out of sight, never mind leave town. Proving that with 20 kids, you could shut down the entire country.

False clearing a whole area isn't really progress, but it's in house arrest for all the people who live there. As a lawyer I would hope you could appreciate that this isn't China or a member of the USSR empire.

Even in the US, curfews of adults are sometimes (albeit very rarely) a legitimate exercise of police powers. They must be justified by highly exigent circumstances, and they must be limited to the absolute minimum necessary scope and duration. (For example, in the aftermath of some natural disasters like hurricanes, dusk-to-dawn curfews are sometimes imposed for a couple of days to prevent looting.) Anyhow, if any of those elements is somehow lacking - e.g., insufficient exigency, or undue scope or duration, then Yes, it could amount to unconstitutional house arrest. It has to be analyzed very much on a case-by-case basis.

>Cut the cops some slack? You mean the ones who are pounding on the door, putting
>weapons in the face and ordering peaceful occupants the hell out with their hands
>above their heads?

And the ones that caught him and stopped his brother while he shot at them and threw bombs at them. And the one that took a bullet in the process. And the one that is now dead at their hands. Yes, I'm willing to cut the cops some slack.

http://www.dhs.gov/news/2013/04/19/statement-secretary-napolitano Her favorite song is, "Here's a Quarter Call Someone Who Cares". I cringe when I think of Katrina too. The video of the police taking down that old lady for her small caliber hand gun still burns in my mind. Boston was a different deal. It was the largest, terrorist attack since 9/11. The Department of Home Security can do as they wish.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Every second a person stands at their door, locks it, requires the cops to kick it down anyway

But it doesn't. The cops are in no way, shape or form required to force their way into someone's house on the offchance a murder suspect might be inside. It is something they have decided to do, and if they are slowed down as a result then that delay stems from their decisions.

that person is helping the terrorist and cop killer

So you've established that anyone who doesn't want the cops to stampede through their living room every time there is a 'terrorist and cop killer' (Won't somebody think of the children!?) on the loose is an asshole - but what about normal criminals? Should you just let the police storm your house every time someone is run-of-the-mill murdered in the general vicinity? Raped? Mugged? Where's the cutoff?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

>Cut the cops some slack? You mean the ones who are pounding on the door, putting
>weapons in the face and ordering peaceful occupants the hell out with their hands
>above their heads?

And the ones that caught him and stopped his brother while he shot at them and threw bombs at them. And the one that took a bullet in the process. And the one that is now dead at their hands. Yes, I'm willing to cut the cops some slack.

Different circumstance.
(1) Private home occupier found dude in his boat.
(2) He called police and invited them to come get him.
(3) Police did
(4) Boat totaled

I have ZERO problem with that. Cops don't need a warrant if they are invited. It's the difference between me offering to go undercover and wear a wire to record my phone calls versus the cops wiretapping my conversations without my knowledge. There's a big difference.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

>above their heads?

Different circumstance.
(1) Private home occupier found dude in his boat.
(2) He called police and invited them to come get him.
(3) Police did
(4) Boat totaled

I have ZERO problem with that. Cops don't need a warrant if they are invited. It's the difference between me offering to go undercover and wear a wire to record my phone calls versus the cops wiretapping my conversations without my knowledge. There's a big difference.

I suggest the kind of slack we're talking about is more like this:

[Officer] "Sir, we believe the bomber is in this area. He's heavily armed with guns and explosives, and he's already shot and killed a police officer and taken hostages while escaping. He's wounded and desperate. May we please search your house?

[Resident] >Well, I'm telling you he's not here; and you don't have a warrant. Why should I consent?

We want to make sure he isn't in here holding you hostage, or might have snuck into your house without your knowledge, or might have tossed an explosive in here without your knowledge.

>What happens if I still say no?

Sir, look all around you. You see what's going on here. We need to clear this area house by house. It's a massive, urgent undertaking. We simply don't have time to get search warrants for hundreds of separate houses. And we need every available resource to do this. If you don't let us clear your house, we'll have to divert badly-needed officers, resources and attention to surrounding your house to keep it secure while we conduct the rest of our search. This will only take a few minutes. We need your help. Will you please help us?

=======

At that point, the homeowner still has the right to say no. But he also has the option to cut the police some slack and voluntarily say yes. At that point it's not a legal decision, it's an ethical one. Sometimes the decent thing is saying yes when you have every right to say no.

>Different circumstance.
>(1) Private home occupier found dude in his boat.
>(2) He called police and invited them to come get him.
>(3) Police did
>(4) Boat totaled

The MIT cop who was killed did not do any of that. Nor did the cop who was shot, nor the cops who were pursing both of them while they were driving through Watertown throwing explosives at them.

So yes, overall, I am willing to cut them some slack, because that's the environment they were working in. (I am sure you would be too if you were there.) They were wrong to pull people out of houses - but I can also see why they thought it was important to do so. Have a team of criminals bomb a crowd, kill a cop (and try to kill a bunch more) and cops will sometimes screw up and go too far in their attempts to keep them from killing anyone else.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

I'm interested in how the judicial branch has interpreted this amendment over the years. With just the text, reasonable arguments could be made either way about the legality of the door to door search.

What constitutes an unreasonable search? How is it different from a reasonable search, which the amendment's text could be said to imply is allowed?

Is the government actually forbidden from warrantless searches of homes, or is the government simply forbidden from using evidence from such searches in the prosecution (and perhaps investigation) of the citizen whose home was searched?

Even if the searches were of the unreasonable type, do the affected residents have any avenue of recourse if they are not charged with any crimes based on evidence and information obtained from that search? In what ways can the government be punished for executing warrantless unreasonable searches?

As much as I'd like to be outraged by the actions of the police, I've been around long enough to understand that the SCOTUS (and the rest of the judicial branch) usually have a more nuanced interpretation of the Constitution than what a layman has. At this point, I'm not convinced either way about the legality of the door to door search.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

>Different circumstance.
>(1) Private home occupier found dude in his boat.
>(2) He called police and invited them to come get him.
>(3) Police did
>(4) Boat totaled

The MIT cop who was killed did not do any of that. Nor did the cop who was shot, nor the cops who were pursing both of them while they were driving through Watertown throwing explosives at them.

So yes, overall, I am willing to cut them some slack, because that's the environment they were working in. (I am sure you would be too if you were there.) They were wrong to pull people out of houses - but I can also see why they thought it was important to do so. Have a team of criminals bomb a crowd, kill a cop (and try to kill a bunch more) and cops will sometimes screw up and go too far in their attempts to keep them from killing anyone else.

The issue is framed as if it's the individual cops that decided, as if they were some mob, to conduct these house to house searches. It was not the cops, but the upper "brass" that made this decision and I'm willing to bet they cleared it with Washington first, if the directive did not originate from there in the first place...and those guys know better.

I'd be more than willing to cut the cops slack, but not the guys at the top who are making the calls.

That said, I agree with your original argument. It would be absolutely stupid to fight the cops in that circumstance. Turn your recording device on, politely refuse to exit your house and refuse entry. If they cross the threshold put up zero resistance and comply. If so inclined, sue them later. It's not worth an ass beating or defending yourself in court on BS charges. Better to be on the legal offense than defense in this case.