Andy9o8

Monday Morning's Mass Shooting-of-the-Week

As police officers approached two men on the ground in the complex's parking lot, one of them reached for a weapon and police shot him dead, Schrock said.

Two other men were also confirmed dead in the parking lot, and a man and a woman were found dead in the complex, which has roughly 25 units.

"We still don't have any idea what started this disturbance tonight," Schrock said, adding that police believe everyone involved was dead. Police were interviewing witnesses on Monday...

...Eight Federal Way officers fired their weapons during the siege

So if everyone involved is dead, and eight police officers shot the guy who reached for a weapon, and he was one of the two men in the first sentence, then there is one really lucky (depending on his proximity) uninvolved man in this story.

...shooting at apartment in Seattle suburb

"Federal Way is a Tacoma suburb," said Seattle when asked for comment.

Mass shooting? How can this be a mass shooting?

No assault weapons were involved and no little blonde girls were shot while in school.

This barely qualifies as a typical day in Chicago....
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

I think one could argue that eight cops shooting one guy who tried to reach for a gun while on the ground having already been shot is a "mass shooting." Maybe we can come up with a dictionary entry as it sounds like we need multiple definitions though...

mass shooting [mas shoot-ing] n.

1) Any event where a firearm is discharged or firearms are discharged and more than one person is injured or killed (as a result of the firearm discharge(s) or otherwise.)
2) Any event where more than one firearm is discharged, or a firearm is discharged more than once. (note: no one need be injured or killed.)

There, is that useless enough for everyone?

1) Any event where a firearm is discharged or firearms are discharged and more than one person is injured or killed (as a result of the firearm discharge(s) or otherwise.)
2) Any event where more than one firearm is discharged, or a firearm is discharged more than once. (note: no one need be injured or killed.)

Clear as mud. We can now appropriately classify the Burr- Hamilton dual as a Mass Shooting....
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

I think one could argue that eight cops shooting one guy who tried to reach for a gun while on the ground having already been shot is a "mass shooting." Maybe we can come up with a dictionary entry as it sounds like we need multiple definitions though...

Yes, because your definitions are doodly-squat.
It's OK; Wm F. Buckley, for example, was a master at doing that. Diverts the discussion quite nicely, and sometimes people don't even notice.

Yes, because your definitions are doodly-squat.
It's OK; Wm F. Buckley, for example, was a master at doing that. Diverts the discussion quite nicely, and sometimes people don't even notice.

Well, I'd have a hard time defining this incident as a "Mass Shooting."

A typical Mass Shooting is one gunman opening fire on a crowd of unarmed victims. Newton CT, Aurora CO, the Giffords shooting in Phoenix, Virginia Tech, and on and on.

This is more of a "gun battle" where most of the dead were armed and shooting at each other. Drug deal gone bad?
Home invasion where the occupants fought back, but were killed anyway? (and so were the invaders)

Hard to say at this point.
But it seems to be atypical for a mass shooting event.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Everyone reacts emotionally to the terms "mass shooting" or "school shooting." Everyone. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that because we're all human. Aurora, Virginia Tech, Columbine, Sandy Hook, Gabby Giffords... all brutal events that churn up.

And there's no reason to shy away from the emotional events when talking about firearm regulations. There are sites that put a lot of effort into painting the picture of mass shootings. A picture a sensible group of people might stand in front of and discuss what might be done about it. Alternatively, if your goal is to do something(tm), you can quote a number 7x the first link and sprinkle in a juxtaposition of Wayne LaPierre and a Sandy Hook memorial for good measure.

If you want to discuss mass shootings, fine. If you want to discuss [what appears to be] gun violence amongst criminals, fine. I don't see blurring the two as productive.

Someone apparently had three firearms who, in hindsight, shouldn't have had them. I haven't seen any details about whether or not they were his or his family members or how he obtained them. I also haven't seen any information about whether the firearms or magazines in question violated California laws.

I've already written about what I consider reasonable measures and if the above details come out I'd be happy to discuss them in the context of my suggestions.

Just more exploitation of gun free zones

Nothing more
Move along please
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

jcd11235

"mass shooting" review scorecard...

Assault weapon ban: The article gives me no reason to believe the handgun recovered had any evil features, besides being semi-automatic.

Magazine capacity limits: The article gives me no reason to believe these limits would have helped.

Criminal background check: TBD. We'll probably find out one way or another shortly after the shooter is identified.

Adjudicated mental illness: See criminal check. As in other cases we will probably get some 20/20 hindsight kind of clues in future reporting, but I doubt anything that would have shown up on a feasible background check without running into privacy issues that lawrocket has raised in other threads.

Mandated securing of firearms (ignoring enforcement issues for a moment): TBD. Still no info on how he obtained the firearm.

More good guys with guns: TBD. Depends on how much time elapsed between the first and last shots, but doubtful this would have made any difference.

Access to Mental Health Treatment: TBD. I don't think we know what the "trigger" was yet.

Police/Authority Response Time: Unlike some other cases it doesn't sound like he waited for the cops to show up to shoot himself afterwords, so this might not have been much of a factor.

Violence in culture: TBD. Again, don't really know anything about the shooter at this point.

kelpdiver

3rd mass shooting this week. Probably need a new subject line.

that definition is getting a bit broad, it appears.

If people are debating over the semantics of "mass shooting", hoo boy are they missing the mark.
Sometimes you just need to step back away from the canvas to see the whole painting.

Andy9o8

3rd mass shooting this week. Probably need a new subject line.

that definition is getting a bit broad, it appears.

If people are debating over the semantics of "mass shooting", hoo boy are they missing the mark.
Sometimes you just need to step back away from the canvas to see the whole painting.

Mass shootings continue to drop in numbers over all

Yet you keep posting

why?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln