ChrisD

Fallout from Boston has Begun,...

“In general, we’re a safer country when law enforcement knows who is here — has their fingerprints, photos, etc., has conducted background checks and no longer needs to look at needles through haystacks,” Schumer said. He stressed that the bill would give the government a better sense of who is in the country, which would make the nation “better off.”

Walhmart is going to clean up when our national id has your master card number linked to it,...
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

In general, we’re a safer country when law enforcement knows who is here — has their fingerprints, photos, etc...

When I immigrated here from Canada more than 20 years ago, I was photographed and fingerprinted on multiple occasions, as are all immigrants. I was fingerprinted when I first entered the country, photographed and fingerprinted when I applied for a green card, photographed and fingerprinted to get work authorization, and photographed and fingerprinted again for the background check prior to naturalization. Absolutely nothing new here.

So what bill are you referring to?

Don

The one that is now (today) before our elected ([:/]) politicians. The one that Janet N has currently postponed, to allow it to build up steam, in order that "Homeland" security can obtain More funding!

60,000 or more, no one really knows, individuals are going to die in 2013 due to car wrecks, a half a million people in the US are going to die because they don't have access to basic medical care, and a million or more individuals are going to die and suffer caused by air pollution because we are dependent upon those with deep pockets. And yet as sad as it may be for those involved in this sensless stupidity in Boston, BILLIONS ARE BEING SPENT in what may prove to be a waste of money to fight an "enemy" that is unstopable!

No one is defending the constitution anymore, special interests have taken over, and yet they want more control of our civil liberties.

The current 4/18/2013 immigration control bill, it is what is also written into this that is the scary stuff....

Are you advocating that people be allowed to immigrate without photos, fingerprints, or background checks? Seriously?

I went through the process. It was a PITA, but not so onerous that it would have discouraged me. Immigrating here is a privilege, not a right, and the country has an obligation (IMHO) to verify that people are who they claim to be.

As an aside, none of this is likely to be very relevant to the Boston situation. These people have been in the US for years, brought here as children when their parents immigrated legally. The younger suspect apparently went all the way through high school here. Linking this to immigration reform is a red herring, it seems to me.

Don

With the military in the streets (after a 19 year old) and black hawk helicopters in the air, there is no doubt this will only fuel the fire to militerize law enforcement throughout the US.

Goodby napsacks, and easy entry to public events.

When I immigrated here from Canada more than 20 years ago, I was photographed and fingerprinted on multiple occasions, as are all immigrants. I was fingerprinted when I first entered the country, photographed and fingerprinted when I applied for a green card, photographed and fingerprinted to get work authorization, and photographed and fingerprinted again for the background check prior to naturalization. Absolutely nothing new here.

So what bill are you referring to?

I legally lived and was allowed to work in my profession in the USA from 1998 through 2005 and not once was my photograph and finger prints ever taken. Oh and I also know the FBI has a file on me, but that is only because I was a foreigner who happened to be taking flight lessons in the USA when 9/11 occurred and the FBI went around to every flight school asking questions about all the pilots who used the school's airplanes. But even then, no photographs or finger prints were ever taken. :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I legally lived and was allowed to work in my profession in the USA from 1998 through 2005 and not once was my photograph and finger prints ever taken.

Don is a suspicious character. He likes bugs.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I didn't get my copy of your prints, Don. Please fedex.

(Anyone working in the financial industry has been printed on multiple occasions as well)

Are you advocating that people be allowed to immigrate without photos, fingerprints, or background checks? Seriously?

so are you agreeing with Schumer that they should do it twice? seriously?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Is this going to begin the finger printing of,and background checks by the government, of natural born citizens who have never been arrested,or in the military,or working for the government?

it already extends far past that.

I was printed in the 90s working for Schwab, in 06 working for Barclays Global Investors, and more recently at a tech company because we seek government contracts and they wanted us to have trust ratings from the GSA.

DMV has been collecting at least a thumb print for a long while as well.

so are you agreeing with Schumer that they should do it twice? seriously?

I haven't seen where Schumer proposed that. I asked what legislation was being referred to, but just got a vague reference to "immigration" so I have no idea what Schumer was referring to that was so objectionable.

Anyway the OP didn't object to fingerprinting etc twice, it seemed clear (to me) from the language used that he objected to it being done at all. Even once.

Don

>The DMV has been taking a thumb print.

I don't recall being thumb printed for a drivers license anywhere I've lived.
I have given my prints to the government for a concealed carry permit.
I don't remember it but,I was foot printed by the hospital where I was born in 1963:D:Dcan't believe those tiny feet turned into size 12's.
I know many companies require background checks and sometimes prints before hiring someone,and banks will take a thumb print for some transactions.
It's not uncommon for land lords to do a background check before renting to people,but not printing.
I don't think the government should print and background check natural born citizens,unless the citizen has been arrested,in government service,or applying for permission to handle explosive materials,or carry a concealed weapon.
Mandatory government printing and background checks of all residents,even law abiding natural born citizens without permits for concealed weapons or dangerous materials.
Hmmmmmmmmmm.........

I don't think the government should print and background check natural born citizens,unless the citizen has been arrested,in government service,or applying for permission to handle explosive materials,or carry a concealed weapon.
Mandatory government printing and background checks of all residents,even law abiding natural born citizens without permits for concealed weapons or dangerous materials.
Hmmmmmmmmmm.........

I agree...however I also see it happening in the future.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Yep,we have our images recorded any where there are video cameras or still cameras,and many are not by the government,but by business,and everyday citizens who might even post the images on social network sites.
Photo ID's are pretty cheap and easy to use,and very effective when combined with all the other visual data being stored everywhere.
The finger printing and background checks of every resident seems like it could be very costly and still not prevent the attacks.
I don't believe any of these measures will stop people who are determined to carry out these acts of violence.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.........

I agree...however I also see it happening in the future.

:D:D

Twardo, you're 75 posts away from 30,000. One of these days, someone should show you how it works..........

:D:D:D:D

I guess my point is also that this is Not the kind of "citizen" involvment that the founders of this country had in mind. George and his gang were real big on involving the public in the workings of government, something that has been lost in this present generation. In fact this Boston issue raise's so many questions regarding democracy and tyrany,...I belive the preamble went something like,...

WE the fucking people, but now we have so many that make decisions for us, we have yet again swung so far to the view that our elected officials all know better than the people.

I support and defend our constitution, I honestly don't know what half of our elected officals are up too, other than their own special interest groups!!

It's the retoric that immideatly comes out of so many politicos and the stuff that is written in these "bills" that is scary and the fact that they are intentionaly exploiting a bad event to promote their agenda's via vi the back door!
This is not a democracy at its finest,...this is exploitive knee jerk reactionism

I get a headache trying to figure out what the hell most of your posts are talking about.

I think it's something like "meet the new boss, same as the old boss".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2LrbsUVSVl8

Na it's just the balance of power has shifted, the slippery slope that the founders of "The United States," warned us about is here. Liberty has undergone sweeping revisions from the days that the Constitution was framed to involve citizen participation.

I used to read a lot of history and have way too much time speaking with Russians and Armenians, etc,... over the past few years all of the stories about freedom and liberty increase my stress level.

And doing more than a few "Aid" and Rescue missions into third world countries at a very young age haven't helped. Theere's nothing like being in the middle of an earthquake, thousands dead around you, and the local Militia, (Government) looting resources, watching what has unfolded in the name of protecting the very citizens has this scarey but unfamiliar ring to it.

Also consider that if we use the conservative figures the NHTSB uses of 60,000 people dead on our highways each year, that means during this manhunt of 2 days,...329 people died on our "safe" roads and streets, that our government does nothing about! The cost for this show in Boston is already estimated at about 40 million, (Boston Globe) I guess it's a question of priorities...[:/]

Sorry to be so cryptic on occasion, just trying to promote awarness, but I've noticed everyone is happier with a simple stereotypical comment, but alas "simple quick answeres are part of the issue."

>Also consider that if we use the conservative figures the NHTSB uses of 60,000 people
>dead on our highways each year, that means during this manhunt of 2 days,...329
>people died on our "safe" roads and streets, that our government does nothing about!

?? The government spends billions on roads, police, the justice system and advertising campaigns to try to prevent road deaths. They pass laws against drunk driving, driving recklessly, speeding and driving without working taillights. They write rules about highway marking, lighting and signage to try to reduce deaths. They created an entire agency (the NTSB) to research how to make transportation safer.

Hard to claim that's "doing nothing about" the problem.

>The cost for this show in Boston is already estimated at about 40 million

So about two orders of magnitude less than we spend on traffic deaths.