OHCHUTE

Have you noticed the water dripping out of auto exhausts?

I'm going down the freeway on a motorcycle and I'm feeling rain. Problem is: the sun is out and not a cloud is in the sky. Further observation reveals steady stream of water dripping out of the exhaust pipes. Now I know about internal combustion engines and condensation, but a stream of water appears the gas is spiked. Are they adding water to the gas? They're doing it with wine. Is the auto/oil industry screwing us again. I don't remember seeing as much water being expelled via the tail pipe and there hardly and talk about it on the internet.

Is the water in ethanol?

http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-01252012-103054/unrestricted/BaineBreauxMSThesis2012.pdf

Water is a by-product of the combustion process.

It condenses in the exhaust system.

Eventually the exhaust system gets hot enough that the water will turn to vapor.

I remember once reading that catalytic converters created more condensation than the older exhaust systems, but never really followed up with more research.

I don't know enough about ethanol to know if it causes additional condensation in the system.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Ever hear of a condensing furnace? Water is a natural by product of the combustion of any petroleum fuel.

Watch out, though--the water is acidic!
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

gasoline is basically a hydro carbon. In a perfect combustion situation the only byproducts are carbon dioxide and water. So water is supposed to be a by-product of this process. Yes water is normal.

Basically water is formed and if the exhaust pipe isn't hot the water vapor cools to liquid water. When the exhaust pipe is hot it remains water vapor.

Next time you get the chance stick your hand at the end of an exhaust pipe after the car has been running a while and see if your hand gets wet.

I remember once reading that catalytic converters created more condensation than the older exhaust systems, but never really followed up with more research.

Well, catalytic converters simply complete the combustion that was incomplete in the engine's cylinders. so any unburnt hydrocarbons in the exhaust are converted to CO2 and MORE H2O.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Well, catalytic converters simply complete the combustion that was incomplete in the engine's cylinders. so any unburnt hydrocarbons in the exhaust are converted to CO2 and MORE H2O.

Thank you, Sir.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I'm going down the freeway on a motorcycle and I'm feeling rain. Problem is: the sun is out and not a cloud is in the sky. Further observation reveals steady stream of water dripping out of the exhaust pipes. Now I know about internal combustion engines and condensation, but a stream of water appears the gas is spiked. Are they adding water to the gas? They're doing it with wine. Is the auto/oil industry screwing us again. I don't remember seeing as much water being expelled via the tail pipe and there hardly and talk about it on the internet.

Is the water in ethanol?

http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-01252012-103054/unrestricted/BaineBreauxMSThesis2012.pdf

If it is a steady stream like you post, it could be a head gasket or intake gasket leak letting some of the cooling system fluid into a cylinder or two

Did you notice a sweet or antifreeze smell when behind that vehicle?

Also, I love watering down tailgating bikers with my windshield washers too:)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

LIke I said: I know about H20 is a part of the exhaust. What I"m talking about is an increase in water. I ride each each year and it seems this new experience of feeling rain is within the last two years. What's up? I think they'r mixing water with the ethanol. Just my observation. Yours may differ.

LIke I said: I know about H20 is a part of the exhaust. What I"m talking about is an increase in water. I ride each each year and it seems this new experience of feeling rain is within the last two years. What's up? I think they'r mixing water with the ethanol. Just my observation. Yours may differ.

It's global warming! :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

> Are they adding water to the gas?

Nope. If they did:
1) it would cause a lot more problems than more water out the tailpipe (i.e. cars in areas that froze would not start)
2) you wouldn't even notice it in the exhaust because there is so much water in exhaust already due to combustion

>They're doing it with wine.

Wine is 85% water.

>Is the water in ethanol?

No, it's anhydrous. However when burned it creates water vapor (as gasoline does.)

LIke I said: I know about H20 is a part of the exhaust. What I"m talking about is an increase in water. I ride each each year and it seems this new experience of feeling rain is within the last two years.

Just after this lady noticed an increase in rainbows.

The good news is that freeways should be getting much more colourful:)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Head gasket
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>Is the water in ethanol?

No, it's anhydrous. However when burned it creates water vapor (as gasoline does.)

Ethanol is also hygroscopic. E10 can absorb about 40 times more water than pure gasoline and has a shelf life of only about 3 months. A table spoon full of water in a gallon of E10 is enough for it to start separating out. Ironically, if you do have water separating in your fuel you can absorb it again by adding more ethanol. Or if you add more water, it will leech out all the ethanol and you can simply siphon the pure gas off the top.

Just wondering the change from not experiencing any "rain" on sunny day to feeling rain droplets while behind cars on the freeway, not while tailgaiting either. Also the change got me to look exactly at tail pipes while in the car sitting a lights, and I've never seen that much water coming from many tail pipes. Unbroken streams of water.

Maybe it's the newer engines that have created more water being condensed. Or perhaps there was once "rain" on sunny days but I just never noticed till recently.

Just wondered if anyone else noticed this increase in water from tail pipes. When was the last time you looked at a tail pipe...

Wine is 85% water.

So all Jesus did was add a measly 15%. Show-off.

Superb, sir. It's only Monday but that will surely still be top 10 come Friday.

Elvisio "genuine, out loud guffaw" Rodriguez

Agreed - bravo Andy, bravo. I tip my hat to you sir.
Never try to eat more than you can lift