Iago

DHS internal checkpoints

Border patrol has no business stopping people away from the border.

I'm too tired to look it up now, but I seem to recall some court rulings that there's a certain zone (I don't remember how it's defined) near, but not necessarily at, the border, where immigration checks are tolerated, basically as a second line of defense against illegal immigrants (and smugglers? not sure) who manage to get past the first line of defense at the border. (I can't remember more right now, and I'm done for the night.)

The very last bit was funny.

I get the stated objective of the checkpoints and I also understand the logic used by the more conspiracy oriented. Neither of which change the fact that the last two times I've gone through them absolutely lit and had nothing but laughs.

I figure they've caught their share of illegals, saw a good size group in a cage last time. I'm also sure they've done their part in training a good share of americans to blindly comply with the "authorities".

All-in-all....whatever. Swim as had as you like, you're not changing the tide.

To my knowledge they can setup within a hundred miles. In the same camp though, too lazy to confirm.

About 2/3rds of the population of the country lives within 100 miles of a border. Scary how much of our freedoms the people are willing to give up without even protesting.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Border patrol has no business stopping people away from the border.

I'm too tired to look it up now, but I seem to recall some court rulings that there's a certain zone (I don't remember how it's defined) near, but not necessarily at, the border, where immigration checks are tolerated, basically as a second line of defense against illegal immigrants (and smugglers? not sure) who manage to get past the first line of defense at the border. (I can't remember more right now, and I'm done for the night.)

I'm aware it has been declared "legal", but the OP asked "what do you think?". I respect your opinion on things, so, what do you think of this outside a court ruling on its legality?

I went throught one of these a few weeks ago driving back from Skydive San Diego. Setup on the road heading back West to the city. These are some really good 'refusals' by people passing through. I especially like the last one.

Immigration checkpoints not crossing a border? Really?

So what do you think?

I think people can bitch about this or illegal immigration. I don't think they can do both without being hypocrites.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

> Scary how much of our freedoms the people are willing to give up

And which freedom would that be that you're giving up?

Under the privileges and immunities clause Article IV, Section 2, Clause 1 citizens have the right to travel and to freely ingress and egress between the states. This right had been addressed and upheld by many supreme court cases including Corfield v. Coryell, 6 Fed. Cas. 546 (1823) and Paul v. Virginia, 75 U.S. 168 (1869). In exercising that right the citizens do not have to give up their protection against unlawful search and seizure which is what these DHS agents are doing.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

If you are guilty?

How about the right not to self incriminate?

The reason these people got through was because the know their rights and chose to exersise them

DUI check points can be handled exactly the same

NO COP gets in my vehicle without a warrent or he arrests me. Period!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Under the privileges and immunities clause Article IV, Section 2, Clause 1 citizens have the right to travel and to freely ingress and egress between the states. This right had been addressed and upheld by many supreme court cases including Corfield v. Coryell, 6 Fed. Cas. 546 (1823) and Paul v. Virginia, 75 U.S. 168 (1869). In exercising that right the citizens do not have to give up their protection against unlawful search and seizure which is what these DHS agents are doing.

+1000
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I went throught one of these a few weeks ago driving back from Skydive San Diego. Setup on the road heading back West to the city. These are some really good 'refusals' by people passing through. I especially like the last one.

So what do you think?

I think people can bitch about this or illegal immigration. I don't think they can do both without being hypocrites.

You're funny... I know where those checkpoints are in TX. You don't think anyone trafficking illegals knows?
--
Rob

So what do you think?

You're funny... I know where those checkpoints are in TX. You don't think anyone trafficking illegals knows?

And I know where they are in Southern California and I know for a fact they do have an effect and have had an effect for decades -- long before the DHS ever existed.

Does it stop every illegal? No. Do they stop a significant chunk of them? Absolutely. You can see it with your own eyes practically every time you pass one.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I recall going through one of those north of El Paso, TX on my way to Las Cruces, NM. Middle of nowhere, no traffic, no anything. And all of a sudden a hut with a barricade and a helicopter hovering overhead. It was really no different than passing through the 'regular' border crossing, although a bit unexpected.

But you have to understand, mental illness is like cholesterol. There is the good kind and the bad. Without the good kind- less flavor to life. - Serge A. Storms

Does it stop every illegal? No. Do they stop a significant chunk of them? Absolutely. You can see it with your own eyes practically every time you pass one.

I would say exactly the opposite, unless you're speaking sarcastically.

When passing through one between Phoenix and Yuma (IIRC, may have been between Yuma and San Diego) a sign was posted "bragging" about the number of drug seizures, illegals caught, felony arrests, and other crap that had happened at that checkpoint during the year. I can't remember the numbers (SO wish I'd taken a picture of it) but can recall the numbers were abysmally small in all categories.

Elvisio "especially when you started counting the number of agents on the payroll at that stop" Rodriguez

I recall going through one of those north of El Paso, TX on my way to Las Cruces, NM. Middle of nowhere, no traffic, no anything. And all of a sudden a hut with a barricade and a helicopter hovering overhead. It was really no different than passing through the 'regular' border crossing, although a bit unexpected.

The checkpoint is North of Las Cruses, South of T or C.

just sayin'

Everyone knows where they are, I thought. It takes about 1:50th the amount of time as the Juarez to El Paso crossing, mostly due to the massive amount of people crossing supposedly legally every day.

BTW, the crossing is just as bad (south) in the evening, so I guess most of them actually do go home. [:/]:P
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

So what do you think?

You're free to think what you like, but I disagree. Illegal immigration can be addressed in a number of ways without forcing the entire population to forfeit the right to move freely about the country, just like we have to address other crimes without infringing on general pop rights or specific subject rights.

You're statement is like saying you can't be against both terrorism and DHS/TSA actions. You certainly can, and I am.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

This whole subject has got me in a tither. I never gave it much thought, before.

I'm of a mixed opinion.

I grew up in So. Cal. and they have always been part of the trip to and from San Diego, I spent a few years in El Paso, and there they were (North of Las Cruces). I've been through them dozens, if not hundreds of times.

I've never had more than a "look-see" and a wave-through. I don't ever remember any questions. Granted, I'm a fair skinned red-head and mrowc6 is blonde. Both our kids are tow-heads, so if we looked darker, then .....?

But, inside our borders, we should be allowed to travel freely,

Without molestation.

It's too bad, it takes pissing off and flirting with arrest in order to stand up for our rights. [:/]

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Of course they would claim that case affects crossing state borders, and their checkpoints are located away from state lines, therefore it is not on point. They'd be full of shit and avoiding the point, but they do that regardless. DHS is not a fan of us plebes using logic or refuting their claims with legal precedent.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*