BIGUN

Distinguished Warfare Medal?!??!?!

Now for the other side - warfighting is the key way of building a military resume, getting promoted, etc. So these officers get selected to fly drones. Okay. "Operate" drones.

Of course they perform a valuable function. Flying into and over enemy territory where and launching a precision strike to take out the apartment complex where he is. Sure, most of them would probably prefer to be flying in a hot zone. And it would be a shame if their careers suffered because they weren't given the opportunity to take out the enemy in person.

I can see how the lack of medals, etc., can cost people futures. Like operating a drone being the turn to career dead end.

The issue is not the medal.
The issue is it's ranking above the BS(V) or SS(V)

What is the problem with awarding an ARCOM which... is awarded to any member of the Armed Forces who distinguishes himself or herself by heroism, meritorious achievement, or meritorious service. This award can also be granted to a foreign national who distinguishes himself or herself by an act of heroism, extraordinary achievement, or meritorious service which has been of mutual benefit to a friendly nation and the United States. The ARCOM can be given for heroism in combat or noncombat and for achievement or service during peacetime or wartime.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

The ARCOM can be given for heroism in combat or noncombat and for achievement or service during peacetime or wartime.

I put in several troops for ARCOMs. A few MSMs. When my guys did a great job with something I'd sit them down for counseling and file a positive counseling statement.

Never received any of those ribbons myself - I might have been put up for an MSM but I rotated before it was awarded. Which was fine with me - those troops worked their asses off for me and every success I had was due to them and I let them and my superiors know it.

The issue is it's ranking above the BS(V) or SS(V)

I can see that being a pretty significant problem.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Excellent example...
The MSM was one medal that was actually strengthened rather than diluted.

The MSM was previously awarded as a decoration for achievement during peacetime; effective 11 September 2001, this decoration also may be bestowed in lieu of the Bronze Star Medal for non-combat meritorious achievement in a designated combat theater.[1] Normally, the acts or services rendered must be comparable to that required for the Legion of Merit but in a duty of lesser, though considerable, responsibility.

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meritorious_Service_Medal_%28United_States%29
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I've seen more O-3's and E-7's out there with BSM's from sitting in the TOC and watching UFC all night, or going to the occasional meeting.

I got put in for one somehow (don't ask me how, the SGM and O-4 thought I deserved it) only to have it shot down by a O-5 whom never met me because of my rank at the time (E-4).

The other side of the sword, I've seen guys help one of their wounded teammates in the line of fire (no cover) and get downgraded to an ARCOM-V.

It got to the point that the commander was telling his leaders that each company/section gets 2 or so BSM's, 6 or so ARCOMs and however many AAM's they want (which aren't even meant for combat awards).

I think this new medal is a HUGE mistake in its current order of precedence and should be moved to lower than an ARCOM.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I'm still seeing red.

One doesn't even have to be in THEATER!!!

They can be in St. Louis at a computer screen and the ground pounders that are getting shot, shot at, CBRNE up close and personal can get the BS or SS with "V" and the guy in Stl Louis gets a higher fucking medal.

The whole world's just gone to shit since John Wayne died.

I hate to break it to you, but that sorry sonofabitch was a first class draft dodger.

These guys were the real deal.

How was it that he was a draft dodger? He lost a college scholarship due to an injury and was not accepted at Annapolis.

Chuck

I'm still seeing red.

They can be in St. Louis at a computer screen and the ground pounders that are getting shot, shot at, CBRNE up close and personal can get the BS or SS with "V" and the guy in Stl Louis gets a higher fucking medal.

I hate to break it to you, but that sorry sonofabitch was a first class draft dodger.

How was it that he was a draft dodger? He lost a college scholarship due to an injury and was not accepted at Annapolis.

Chuck

Lots of people join the military who are not accepted at Annapolis.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I'm still seeing red.

Chuck

Lots of people join the military who are not accepted at Annapolis.

True! I'm just curious as to how John Wayne was draft dodger.
I do think that it is mandatory that every Sheriff in Texas must have some form of John Wayne memorabilia in their office. :D

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I'm just curious as to how John Wayne was draft dodger.

I'm late to this discussion, so bear that in mind.

I have read many times over the years how 'John Wayne' actively campaigned to stay out of WW II. He was scared s***less of going.

Maybe you should do some homework on this subject. It is rather well known out here in the west.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Chuck,

I'm just curious as to how John Wayne was draft dodger.

I'm late to this discussion, so bear that in mind.

I have read many times over the years how 'John Wayne' actively campaigned to stay out of WW II. He was scared s***less of going.

Maybe you should do some homework on this subject. It is rather well known out here in the west.

JerryBaumchen

I tried searching and came-up empty. I appreciate your in-put.

Chuck

Yea, I bet those drone operators sit there and eat doritos and drink mountain dew while they do their jobs.
I'm still in a state of disbelief about this.

All those years playing World of Warcraft or Call of Duty can finally pay off, huh?

I knew that shit was gonna come in handy. Im sending this post to my mom.

While this has become way off topic... One must ask themselves why his fellow movie stars who were the Lee Marvins, Jimmy Stewarts, Audie Murphys and the like never cast the stone of "Draft Dodger" at John Wayne. There's always two sides to the coin.

"So here’s one for the “Duke,” he may not have been a military hero, but we now have proof that he did actually volunteer for service in World War II."

SOURCE: http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2010/02/28/John-Wayne--World-War-II-and-the-Draft

While this has become way off topic... One must ask themselves why his fellow movie stars who were the Lee Marvins, Jimmy Stewarts, Audie Murphys and the like never cast the stone of "Draft Dodger" at John Wayne. There's always two sides to the coin.

"So here’s one for the “Duke,” he may not have been a military hero, but we now have proof that he did actually volunteer for service in World War II."

SOURCE: http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2010/02/28/John-Wayne--World-War-II-and-the-Draft

You really expect Breitbart to cast a stone at a Republican icon? Get real.

And you have no idea what the real heroes said in private, saying the wrong thing it the 1950s got you blacklisted.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Thanks for that! It appears to me that he wanted to do his part but injuries may have kept him from it. We won't know for sure... he's not talkin'.

Chuck

It appears to me that he wanted to do his part but injuries may have kept him from it

It appears to me he was a fucking draft dodger who could have done SOMETHING more than just make movies to boost morale (and his bank account) - his ambiguous "record" notwithstanding.

And he had a girlie name.