toolbox

Why would a government want a list of gun ownership?

The pre world war 2 german government had mandatory gun registration.
The nazis used the registration list to knock on doors and take the guns.
The next time they came they did not bother knocking.
Governments know criminals possess illegal guns,and know registration will not stop criminals from having guns.
So why is it that governments want to register guns and gun owners again?

Omg! Does that mean the government is also going to take my car?

Holy fuck! They also have the address where everybody lives! They're going to take our houses!

Oh shit! You didn't register the kids for school did you?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

sure, what the hell. We should just also give them a list of all the meds in the house, any jewelry, a full list of accounts and assets, pretty much a full list of property. Surely the government should also know our entire history of sexual partners

maybe we should also post a journal of our dreams every night too for analysis

I doubt the good folks in washington would do anything wrong with that info, or desire acquisition of any of the wealth or assets either. They care about the little guy.

:)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

sure, what the hell. We should just also give them a list of all the meds in the house, any jewelry, a full list of accounts and assets, pretty much a full list of property. Surely the government should also know our entire history of sexual partners

I doubt the good folks in washington would do anything wrong with that info, or desire acquisition of any of the wealth or assets either. They care about the little guy.

Well, if it saves just one child, isn't it worth it?

it's better than that, it might open up "opportunities" for tons of revenue sources for spending programs that would benefit everyone that's smart enough, sane, and generous, to understand that long term spending on things like - perverted arts, social studies, and foxy boxing equality centers are a benefit to all - once, of course, the politicians and their buddies take their fair cut

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It would be hard to use your house to resist an oppressive government,you might be able to use your car,and your kids might also give resistance to tyranny.
To be realistic,it makes resistance to oppression very difficult if the oppressors can shoot the resistance without fear of the resistance shooting back.
It has happened in the past,and history often repeats itself.
I know that the gun debate has been rode again,and again,but the left wing gun banners are not relenting in their quest to rid us of our 2nd amendment right.
I am not left or right,but I'm a realist
I believe in womens rights,gay rights,minority rights,and our constitutional rights as they were written.

It would be hard to use your house to resist an oppressive government,you might be able to use your car,and your kids might also give resistance to tyranny.
To be realistic,it makes resistance to oppression very difficult if the oppressors can shoot the resistance without fear of the resistance shooting back.
It has happened in the past,and history often repeats itself.

I am not left or right,but I'm a realist

I don't think so. If "The Government" wanted to take you out, they would. They wouldn't need you to register your gun. You'd simply be dead. And it wouldn't matter how many guns you had either. Or what type you had. You'd be dead.

The REALITY is you're actually quite safe because they don't give a fuck about you. It might be "fun" for you to think you are somehow worthy of a coordinated effort by "The Government" eliminate you, but you aren't. You aren't really a threat to government oppression. Not one damn bit. You -might- if you went back in time before McVeigh have been able to acquire the materials to create a truck bomb been an incredible and tragic nuisance, but those days are pretty much over and your AK47 or AR15 is laughable when it comes to the power "The Government" has at its disposal.

Any idea you have about "Second Amendment Solutions" to the oppressive rule of "The Government" is laughable. Utterly ridiculous. In fact, mockable.

This government will, in fact, continue on just the way it has for over 200 years with or without you or your pop guns.

I believe in womens rights,gay rights,minority rights,and our constitutional rights as they were written.

Really? Which version? When you say "...as they were written" do you mean are currently written or written in the original Constitution?

See, THAT, my friend, is the entire point here -- times change.
quade -

...your AK47 or AR15 is laughable when it comes to the power "The Government" has at its disposal.

Then why would some people want then registered and tracked?

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

...your AK47 or AR15 is laughable when it comes to the power "The Government" has at its disposal.

Then why would some people want then registered and tracked?

How about this as a reason . . . the stated purpose . . . the one they say they want to do it for . . . to try to help keep them out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them.

It's simple really. I know that doesn't fit with the mind of a conspiracy theorist, but it really is the reason they want to do it.
quade -

I know that doesn't fit with the mind of a conspiracy theorist, but it really is the reason they want to do it.

Discussion ended.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

You are right,if the government simply wanted to take out any sole individual,they could do so with little effort,but it would be far more difficult to take out millions of pissed of well armed citizens on there own home turf.
Take a look at the backward hill billies in afganistan,and pakistan, the people in somalia,the viet cong,ect,who all were faced with vastly superior weapons and professional military forces.
If they can fight back,what makes you think americans could not?
Why is it that you insinuate that anyone who supports the second amendment for the reasons it was written is out to single handedly wage war on the US government for whatever twacked out reasons?You liken people who do not agree with you to mad bombers.
Do you work for MSNBC?
As far as the constitution is concerned,each amendment is subject to alot of different interpretations.

I know that doesn't fit with the mind of a conspiracy theorist, but it really is the reason they want to do it.

Discussion ended.

I see. So by that statement am I to assume you believe nation-wide gun confiscation is a fact and not just the rantings of conspiracy theorists?

Lemme ask you this.

IF the plan has been to confiscate guns, then why didn't Obama just issue a stoppage to gun sales? Why would he allow millions upon millions of weapons allowed to be sold if he was only going to attempt to confiscate them?

Oh...because he can't actually do that. Okay, so he has to go through the real processes of asking Congress to look into a bit of gun control which means the House and Senate have to agree on something and eventually the Supreme Court would have to rule on it. The way the government has always run with a system of checks and balances as it was intended so no single individual could go off the deep end and do crazy oppressive things like seize all your guns.

In other words . . . it's not going to happen and to constantly rant about it is, in fact, tin-foil hat territory.
quade -

>If the plan has been to confiscate guns,then why didn't Obama just issue a stoppage to gun sales?

Like you say,he can't,but I bet he would if he could.
Instead,he and others who would like to take all the weapons,just take little jabs at the 2nd amendment,like a boxer wearing down their opponent,until they can get that knockout blow in.

Even you'd have to agree that the history of governments that wanted all weapons registered rarely or never stopped at that step.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

god forbid that we have some useful information when a gun crime is actually committed to find out where the gun came from or who owns it or even where to look for suspects.

Oh that's right, all the 'legal gun owners' are there to protect us all from those crimes. That is why the gun murder rate is so low.... Bank robberies almost never happen....gun suicide is non-existent....and innocent people never get shot.

it's a piece of evidence in the chain of investigation. Obviously.

And when a gun gets used in a crime, the 'gun' is actually a rather important part of the evidence. so knowing where it came from, who owned it, when and where it was obtained, actually helps.

Obviously.

Hate to break it to you but most criminals don't register guns so there's no way to trace it back to them. Moreso, if someone actually did use a gun registered to them to commit a crime, they typically don't leave it at the crime scene for the police to find. Sometimes they even toss it in the Ocean.

EVERY GUN, at some point, was a legally owned firearm, unless of course you are suggesting that the manufacturers are somehow in cahoots with gun smuggling and illegal arms dealership.

Beginning at the point of manufacture, through every sale of the gun, including importation will indeed allow guns to be traced and will provide evidence towards the capture of criminals.

Obviously.

Arm parents
That will save at least one life
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

god forbid that we have some useful information when a gun crime is actually committed to find out where the gun came from or who owns it or even where to look for suspects.

Oh that's right, all the 'legal gun owners' are there to protect us all from those crimes. That is why the gun murder rate is so low.... Bank robberies almost never happen....gun suicide is non-existent....and innocent people never get shot.

Canada got rid of their registry for the following reasons

In the years it was in place no information from that registry helped solve any crime

and it was costing them billions

And crime rates have been dropping

So the number of guns does not make crime go up

So whats the real point?
Abraham Lincoln

Omg! Does that mean the government is also going to take my car?

Holy fuck! They also have the address where everybody lives! They're going to take our houses!

Oh shit! You didn't register the kids for school did you?

Straw man arguments

Every one of them

Again, no registry, anywhere that I know, has provided info to help solve a crime, let alone stop one

And stopping these shooting is the pipe dream that is gun control
And those wanting to put this crap in place, for the most part, know it

Again, even Biden stated after his gun summit, that if all the crap they wanted was put into place, it would make no real difference

So again, why do it?
Abraham Lincoln

You do realize that most guns used in crimes are not traceable back to the criminal aren't you? They are usually stolen and then sold, sometimes several times.

Bullshit

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/guns/procon/guns.html

http://gunvictimsaction.org/fact-sheet/fact-sheet-illegal-gun-trafficking-arms-criminals-and-youth/

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/15635712-418/illinois-and-indiana-big-source-of-guns-used-in-chicago-crimes-police-find.html

Requiring tracking of all sales would at the very least reduce straw sales, cross-state-border sales, gun show loopholes, etc. You would be able to track back to the last 'legal sale' and work from there.

Will I buy a gun for a friend for $50? Sure I will because when he uses it for a crime, they will not be able to trace the gun to me.

Will I buy a gun for a friend when I know that the sale is recorded and I might face 10 years in prison? Much less likely.