Dean358

Why Pro and Anti-Gun Advocates Are Not Speaking The Same Language

So given this guy WAS PROPERLY denied the purchase of a weapon...proving the process works as it should, then stepped up his criminal activity to include a felony theft of weapons...

Why are we missing that point?

And not JUST felony theft, he killed his own mother to obtain the weapons.

every one of them, if you listen to your kind talk about it. Brady likes to take advantage of fact that too many people only "know" about guns from watching action movies. Good thing they don't see too many Hong Kong movies - they'd think a single Beretta in the hands of Chow Yun Fat could kill 50 people before running out of bullets.

You seem to be getting a little agitated.

Fact remains that very few crimes are perpetrated with fully automatic weapons.

Fully automatic weapons are hard and expensive to acquire. I think there is a correlation. I also think that correlation will hold for other weapons. I think that will reduce the number and the severity of mass shootings.

I guess that makes me of a certain kind.

the hopeful, delusional kind. The glock and sig he carried would have been just as capable of killing...in fact I still haven't seen any breakdown on the use of the 3 weapons. Even with 10 rd magazine limits, he would have been just as able to do what he did. In an environment where kids are trapped in rooms and have no means to fight back, the concealed handgun is more practical than an assault rifle anyway. Lighter, smaller, allows you to carry more bullets, and you're not seen as a threat till the last moment.

Agitation comes from hearing the same bullshit over and over.

BTW, automatic weapons concern me less - random spraying is not effective and the prior mentioned weight issues are there. The most carnage will result from selecting each shot. Rapid rate of fire will not.

I know judges that carry concealed in their own courts.
WITH numerous cops in the court.

I think they understand personal defense.

I was told in my CHL class that the Texas state Capitol building is the only state capitol building that allows CHL holders in and they have an expanded tour of the building just for CHL holders.

Would require outlawing and confiscation of existing large mags to have any impact. Yea I know, good luck with that.

As you I am sure know, banning something doesn't make it go away. It just creates a black market.

Marijuana is currently under a Federal ban. How easy is it to buy?

You're asking a Coloradoan? :)
No, banning something won't make it go away, but it might make it more difficult for a loony young adult to obtain.

Just wanted to respond to this again. Banning something doesn't necessarily make it harder to obtain. Children can often get Marijuana or other illegal drugs easier then they can get alcohol or tobacco. The illegal drug dealers don't care about age or mental health or anything but money.

how much more of a background check is necessary to say: yes, you can have more than one magazine? Because if you deny people that, you're really denying their ability to use a gun in self defense.

I don't see it denying anyone the right to use a gun in self defense. It just adds to the rules already in place.

short of changing handgun designs to a fixed magazine, which would make loading for practice a real pain in the ass ( and thus discourage safety practice/shooting), you have merely a law to prevent killers from carrying multiple. If they're going to commit these acts, they don't care.

I will be the first to recognize that gun laws only matter to law abiding people, but I believe reasonable gun laws can affect all people, law abiding or not.

For example, if you outlawed large mags, their accessibility would eventually go down and the cost up, making them harder to obtain. :)

. . =(_8^(1)

For example, if you outlawed large mags, their accessibility would eventually go down and the cost up, making them harder to obtain.

No matter how many times you say this, it still wouldn't make any difference. The number of rounds in a magazine wouldn't have changed the out come.

And not JUST felony theft, he killed his own mother to obtain the weapons.

Uhm, no. He killed his mother after obtaining the weapons.

You are assuming she was going to let him leave with them. I think it's much more reasonable to think that she would have objected.

the hopeful, delusional kind.

Yes I am hopeful we can try and work towards reducing the number and severity of mass shootings in the US, to bring you in line with other countries.

I guess I am delusional in thinking most people would be willing to do the same.

The glock and sig he carried would have been just as capable of killing...in fact I still haven't seen any breakdown on the use of the 3 weapons.

The medical examiner stated a number of days ago that all were shot with the rifle. I am not including the shooter in that list.

No, but banning high capacity magazines or "assault weapons" won't do anything to reduce mass shootings or the severity.

Without a definition of "assualt weapons" that statement really doesn't mean anything.

I disagree on the high capacity magazines. But I certainly don't think that is the one answer that will do it.

No, but banning high capacity magazines or "assault weapons" won't do anything to reduce mass shootings or the severity.

Without a definition of "assualt weapons" that statement really doesn't mean anything.

I disagree on the high capacity magazines. But I certainly don't think that is the one answer that will do it.

How long do you think it takes to switch out an empty magazine for a full one? It wouldn't have changed anything for this guy to have 10 round magazines or 20.

How long do you think it takes to switch out an empty magazine for a full one?

I don't know...how long does it take on average? Is this average for a trained person, or an untrained person?

It wouldn't have changed anything for this guy to have 10 round magazines or 20.

What about a 5 round or 2 round magazine? What about single action manual reload?

None of that would have made a difference? Or you would not be willing to give up your magazines?

How long do you think it takes to switch out an empty magazine for a full one?

I don't know...how long does it take on average? Is this average for a trained person, or an untrained person?

It wouldn't have changed anything for this guy to have 10 round magazines or 20.

What about a 5 round or 2 round magazine? What about single action manual reload?

None of that would have made a difference? Or you would not be willing to give up your magazines?

Trained or untrained it's only a matter of seconds.

Now you are getting into the realm of a ban. Banning something doesn't make it go away and doesn't necessarily mean it will be less available.

I have no interest in disarming myself. That would take away my right to defend myself.

Trained or untrained it's only a matter of seconds.

Ok, so in this case at least 81 shots were fired means the Newtown shooter had to change magazines twice.

If he was restricted to 2 round magazines he would have had to change magazines 40 times.

If we pick an average time to switch out an emtpy magazine at 3 seconds, it would have gained the victims a cumulated 114 seconds.

I don't accept that in that case it "wouldn't have changed anything". I do accept that many in America would not be willing to make that change.

In the 1,000 posts above a few gun rights supporters such as St Alia and Jacqueline follow a common theme: the gun is there to defend *my* rights when nobody else will. From a non-American perspective this reads less like a mantra of self-sufficiency and more like a rejection of society. It presupposes a failure of the state to deliver its side of the bargain. Soldiers are there to defend you. The police are there to protect you. Doctors are there to treat you. Teachers are there to educate you. In return, you pay your taxes and you expect all these people to do their jobs.

It's a partnership. No one person or group can do it all alone effectively.

Soldiers need our help. People support the troops in many ways.
Police need witnesses to speak up as well as contact them .
Doctors need people to tell them their symptoms.
Teachers need the parents to be involved.

This person's argument reeks of entitlement thought.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I don't accept that in that case it "wouldn't have changed anything". I do accept that many in America would not be willing to make that change.

Considering your lack of experience, your opinion doesn't amount to much.

Also your lack of common sense. Considering the number of high capacity magazines already in private hands any ban will be useless.