SkymonkeyONE

first and last post. End of Days Diatribe

Put a little simplistically, every euro an unemployed European doesn't have to pay at the docs' office and is thus able to save to pump back into his own country's economy - because the US-supplied defense umbrella frees up more euros to pay for his social safety net - is a dollar paid out of an American taxpayer's pocket. If, in his gut of guts, a conservative American resents paying for some other unemployed American's social safety net entitlements, why the hell does he tolerate being forced to pay for, say, an unemployed Frenchman's social safety net? At least the money some American "welfare queen" spends on soda and ciggies stays in the American economy. Ideologically, it's conservative Americans who are really getting fucked up the ass by this.

Because Defense (an unpalatable euphemism, as you've pointed out) spending is a huge giveaway and form of corporate welfare to defense contractors! That's why conservatives love it.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I read my Bible everyday. I truly believe we are in the End of Days. It will take some time to play out. When the armies gather for the showdown at Armageddon there is now mention of a great power from the west.

Why do you think your different from all of the other generations that believed they were living in the end of times? The NT clearly states that those living at the time the Gospels were written would see the second coming of Jesus.

Geez man, ya gotta stop thinking it was written like a tech manual.

Then why do you live and preach "The Holy Word of God" as the end all be all of God's Will? That would be a tech manual to me... There was another thread where you and others vehemently claimed the Bible was THE ONE WORD OF GOD and was not to be questioned or interpretted differently. But here you are interpretting it differently when it is pointed out to have a MASSIVE contradiction in stating the people in those times would see the second coming of Christ...
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee

I read my Bible everyday. I truly believe we are in the End of Days. It will take some time to play out.

That sounds like something someone in the Bible said.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

So why weren't those countries with navies invading Canada prior to WWII, when the "US Umbrella" wasn't in place?

Your argument lacks logic.

All apologies to the Monkey Man who started this thread. I am sure Canada was the last country on his mind when he made his post. I am sure he was thinking of all the crap that is going on in the Middle East. So blame me for making the observation that Canada has gotten off easy relying on the US for it's defense in the last half century.

But professor ... yawn ... are you that obtuse ... or just argumentative to not know there was a time in Canada's history where the Canadian governments (this includes Liberal governments) spent money on national defense and Canada at one time in it's history actually had a reasonably competent and capable navy and also punched above it's weight in both World Wars. But that all changed when the Liberals of the 1960s, 1970s and 1990s demonized the military and slashed funding. But I guess the professor would refuse to acknowledge this reality because it does not fit into his agenda.

So sorry Chuck, my bad for bringing this all up.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Put a little simplistically, every euro an unemployed European doesn't have to pay at the docs' office and is thus able to save to pump back into his own country's economy - because the US-supplied defense umbrella frees up more euros to pay for his social safety net - is a dollar paid out of an American taxpayer's pocket. If, in his gut of guts, a conservative American resents paying for some other unemployed American's social safety net entitlements, why the hell does he tolerate being forced to pay for, say, an unemployed Frenchman's social safety net? At least the money some American "welfare queen" spends on soda and ciggies stays in the American economy. Ideologically, it's conservative Americans who are really getting fucked up the ass by this.

Because Defense (an unpalatable euphemism, as you've pointed out) spending is a huge giveaway and form of corporate welfare to defense contractors! That's why conservatives love it.

The irony about the DOD is it could easily become either self sustaining or even a surplus generator if corporations and/or countries that benefited from them actually had to pay for their services. :)
As for the religion differences thing, atheism is the solution for government. Saying there's no proof to back up one's beliefs is factual. Any opposing religious opinion simply becomes' a government sponsored "my god(s) can beat up your (gods)." :S
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

>The irony about the DOD is it could easily become either self sustaining or even a
>surplus generator if corporations and/or countries that benefited from them actually
>had to pay for their services.

They do. We call these payments "taxes."

>The irony about the DOD is it could easily become either self sustaining or even a
>surplus generator if corporations and/or countries that benefited from them actually
>had to pay for their services.

They do. We call these payments "taxes."

I was referring to other countries and corporations directly.

Besides, taxes don't directly pay for the DOD today. That's part of the issue as most taxes go to the general budget and aren't earmarked so there is no correlation.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

But that all changed when the Liberals of the 1960s, 1970s and 1990s demonized the military and slashed funding.

What can we Americans say? You're welcome.

In my first post of the thread I did say "Thank You" and was criticized by two people. One was a Brit turned Yank and the second was a fellow countryman.

But that all changed when the Liberals of the 1960s, 1970s and 1990s demonized the military and slashed funding.

In my first post of the thread I did say "Thank You" and was criticized by two people. One was a Brit turned Yank and the second was a fellow countryman.

SICC. Ya gotta be tough, or die. ;)

If you're referring to my response, I indicated I hold a different opinion. My apology if you felt that was specifically critical of yours, or the American's for that matter.

John

Just curious John, what was it that you disagreed with? That Canada can spend more money on it's social programs because it does not need to spend a whole lot on defense? Or did you disagree with my statements that Canada relies on the US for it's national defense? I don't recall saying anything about agreeing or disagreeing with the US's foreign policy, so it has to be one of the first two?

By the way ... the crap going on in the Middle East is not good. I certainly don't want to see a war between the Arab states and Israel. But it looks like it can't be stopped.

Just curious John, what was it that you disagreed with? That Canada can spend more money on it's social programs because it does not need to spend a whole lot on defense? Or did you disagree with my statements that Canada relies on the US for it's national defense? I don't recall saying anything about agreeing or disagreeing with the US's foreign policy, so it has to be one of the first two?

I took no position for/against your opinion, and still don't. I simply shared that I hold a different one. And was subsequently surprised that was taken to be critical of yours.

By the way ... the crap going on in the Middle East is not good. I certainly don't want to see a war between the Arab states and Israel.

Interesting that Israel is now opposed apparently by Egypt and Turkey. Three countries that seemed to share a commonality of foreign military aid and foreign allegiance.

But it looks like it can't be stopped.

Time will surely tell.

John

I'm confused. You've acknowledged that you don't need a strong military because the big brother's got your back. You've acknowledged that you therefore get useful stuff you wouldn't have if you had to pay for a strong military... yet you still seem to want a strong military.

Why?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I'm confused. You've acknowledged that you don't need a strong military because the big brother's got your back. You've acknowledged that you therefore get useful stuff you wouldn't have if you had to pay for a strong military... yet you still seem to want a strong military.

Do you think I agree with the Liberal Party of Canada and their anti-military stance and their Big Government nanny state? Have a look at this ad they put out during a 2006 election campaign.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68toCAiPIjo

Oh and they lied (not the first time either), they did make it up.

Why?

Testosterone poisoning?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Do you think I agree with the Liberal Party of Canada and their anti-military stance and their Big Government nanny state?

I don't know - hence, I'm asking a question.

If you acknowledge that you don't need a particularly strong military and that your country saves a huge amount of money by not spending on defence, why are you angry that you don't have a strong, expensive military?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?