Skyrad

Preppers

I got enough guns to fight off the zombie's long enough to get bigger and badder guns.

Didn't know zombies were susceptible to gunfire. Aren't they already dead?

zombie apocalypse will totally eat you. watch more TV. That's the way to become a qualified mall ninja!
--
Rob

(we keep pretty much a full package of Toilet paper in each bathroom)

My kind of a guy!

well, there's emergencies...
and then there's "emergencies"

I've taken to buying the huge 24-packs and dropping a 4-pack in each bathroom. yet somehow I always choose to shit in the one with only one square left. And it's never a casual crap. It's the kind you don't have time to check for paper with. The "oh my god! what did I eat!??!" kind.
--
Rob

(we keep pretty much a full package of Toilet paper in each bathroom)

My kind of a guy!

well, there's emergencies...
and then there's "emergencies"

I've taken to buying the huge 24-packs and dropping a 4-pack in each bathroom. yet somehow I always choose to shit in the one with only one square left. And it's never a casual crap. It's the kind you don't have time to check for paper with. The "oh my god! what did I eat!??!" kind.

Is that similar to the "I don't remember eating that" kind?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Are you a 'prepper' and if so what are you prepping for? What actions have you taken to secure your future?
(Pensions not included)

Is this an English phrase? I'm not familiar with it, but I see at least some of the East coast folks are.

I'm in a pretty lousy place for self sufficiency if something dramatic happened, there are millions of people or harsh ocean between me and something approaching wilderness. On the positive side, most of my neighbors are unarmed and afraid of guns.

As in financially securing ones future, I just thought I'd preclude pensions as some joker was bound to come out with it.... Should have mentioned the toilet paper as well it seems.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I got enough guns to fight off the zombie's long enough to get bigger and badder guns.

Didn't know zombies were susceptible to gunfire. Aren't they already dead?[/reply

Geez, don't you ever communicate with your students? It takes a head shot, of some type, to stop them.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Didn't know zombies were susceptible to gunfire. Aren't they already dead?[/reply

Geez, don't you ever communicate with your students? It takes a head shot, of some type, to stop them.

Not part of the curriculum at present. Maybe I can get it added for next year/

For hurricanes, I have boards for the windows, canned food, a couple of 5-gallon containers for water, flashlights, candles, and (very important for sleeping at night) a battery-powered fan.

For problems with the car, a pair of pliers, a couple of wrenches, a multi-headed screwdriver, jumper cables, and duct tape.

For social upheaval, an up-to-date passport, the ability to speak several languages, and contacts out of the country.

For jumping, my reserve is up-to-date.

And yeah, there's always extra TP within reach of the toilet. For those times when it's time to buy again, I try to keep kleenex available, too.

I think that covers everything important.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If there is anything that we've seen is that the government as a whole can be slow to respond in the case of some sort of catastrophe. That means you should really be prepared to be self sufficient in those times. With hurricane Ike, some folks were with out power for over a month. I know some of you only think of the lack of lighting and A/C, but think about the food in your house. Think about what you have in your fridge versus what you have in your pantry. Do you have enough for even two weeks if power was out that long? What are your plans if that happens? Go to the store? Their power is out too and most grocery stores only have a few day's worth of food on hand. They no longer have large store rooms, they get daily truck deliveries.

Historically, even in times of extreme unrest, the time of total social breakdown weren't really all that long. Although authors like Wesley Rawles is fun to read, I think he's on the extreme end of the spectrum of not likely. With that in mind, I think that someone is oblivious to the world around them if they don't have at least a couple weeks of supplies ready.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Social breakdown, which includes the aftermath from another terrorist catastrophe.

Would have to be one hell of a terrorist attack.

Consider the social breakdown after 9/11...there wasn't one.

Wouldn’t you consider the social outrage that was subsequently leveraged into the justification to invade Iraq a social breakdown?

For hurricanes, I have boards for the windows, canned food, a couple of 5-gallon containers for water, flashlights, candles, and (very important for sleeping at night) a battery-powered fan.

For problems with the car, a pair of pliers, a couple of wrenches, a multi-headed screwdriver, jumper cables, and duct tape.

For social upheaval, an up-to-date passport, the ability to speak several languages, and contacts out of the country.

For jumping, my reserve is up-to-date.

And yeah, there's always extra TP within reach of the toilet. For those times when it's time to buy again, I try to keep kleenex available, too.

I think that covers everything important.

Wendy P.

And the ability to build a rocket-ship!

B|

I recommend everyone watch the movie "The Road (2009)". It depicts the world 10 years after some sort of catastrophe. Well, the people who would have stored away food and ammunition still meet a very grim outcome.

Granted that movie only demonstrates the world after some sort of event that ruins the ecosystem and never recovers. Essentially leaving no living organisms behind other than humans. Typically a survivable breakdown of economic order would only be localized, and may only last weeks, months, to a few years until order is restored or you're able to escape to a different part of the world.

I have two rigs.
I have an extra bag of golf tees in the back of my SUV.
Always a roll of duct tape in each car.

My climbing gear is always in the back of the SUV.
(Having the harness and the belay device is good to have when explaining to the police the presence of the climbing rope and duct tape.)

Nice:)

I know I've stopped wearing my polo collars up a long time ago.

My first thought when I read the thread title. I still have an old pair of penny loafers, but these days they hurt my feet, so I no longer wear them. But I still keep them as a backup, so I guess I'm prepped.

Yes, I do have plenty of food, water & batteries to last a power outage. And being telepathic, I have no need for extra languages.

"conflating" preppers with preppies. Example of a preppie. A preppie is someone who dresses in a fashion that they imagine people who went to expensive American prep schools dress (similar to public schools in GB).

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

"conflating" preppers with preppies. Example of a preppie. A preppie is someone who dresses in a fashion that they imagine people who went to expensive American prep schools dress (similar to public schools in GB).

Wendy P.

Ahhh, LOL:D:D:D

Thanks
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Wendy P.

How about someone who DID go to an Ivy League school and dresses like it? What do you call them?

Wendy P.

How about someone who DID go to an Ivy League school and dresses like it? What do you call them?

Stuck up assholes.

Last year I drove up Mass Ave in Boston; passing by MIT and then Harvard was instructive. The look of the students (geek vs. WASP with sunglasses around their necks etc).

The sense of entitlement in the Harvard area was palpable.

Wendy P.

I've always kept a spare car key and a dime in my wallet. I've long forgotten what the dime was for.

That's from a time when public phone, phone calls cost a dime;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Are you a 'prepper' and if so what are you prepping for? What actions have you taken to secure your future?
(Pensions not included)

Is this an English phrase? I'm not familiar with it, but I see at least some of the East coast folks are.

I'm in a pretty lousy place for self sufficiency if something dramatic happened, there are millions of people or harsh ocean between me and something approaching wilderness. On the positive side, most of my neighbors are unarmed and afraid of guns.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2069270/
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?