JohnRich

What kind of self defense law do you prefer?

WIth all the controversy created by the Martin-Zimmerman case in Florida and the "Stand your ground" self defense law, it seems that some people would prefer to see stand-your-ground repealed. So I'm just wondering what alternative proposals they prefer that the government require of citizens when confronted by criminals.

Actually, when it comes to saving your life or the life of others, I'd prefer to have the OPTION to actively protect myself and others - and have the LAW back me up. (So SYG should be an option)

But for the poll? - all of the above - the law shouldn't be taking away any reasonable options from anyone on the matter of self protection.

Adding in the bottom 3 shows a mockery based on ego - but if they would work, would you do it for your kids?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Castle Doctrine should have been a choice here, no?

Not sure I agree - the general sense I get from the poll is applicability of various options when in public - sort of hard to "run for your life" inside your own home.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Within the "Stand your ground" philosophy is contained various response options. To pidgin hole the two use by national defense writers one can ingage in "measured response" or "massive retaliation." I, for one, have much sympathy for massive retaliation provided the defender is 100% innocent within the scope of the encounter.
In the case in Florida, the (alleged) defender does not appear to be so. If an armed individual encourages conflict with an unarmed individual then "massive retaliation" does not seem so reasonable.

In the case in Florida, the (alleged) defender does not appear to be so.

Really? There's video of him chasing Martin down the street, gun in hand?

If an armed individual encourages conflict with an unarmed individual then "massive retaliation" does not seem so reasonable.

What if the unarmed individual encourages conflict with someone he doesn't know to be armed?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

No. There is, however, audio of him telling the 911 operator that he was following him. Whether the gun was in hand or not is irrelevant, who initiated the conflict is clear.

If an armed individual encourages conflict with an unarmed individual then "massive retaliation" does not seem so reasonable.

What if the unarmed individual encourages conflict with someone he doesn't know to be armed?

He is still the aggressor. It may turn out that a measured response includes an armed component. For example if the "defender" escalates the conflict from armed to unarmed.

No. There is, however, audio of him telling the 911 operator that he was following him. Whether the gun was in hand or not is irrelevant, who initiated the conflict is clear.

Then you also heard him tell the 911 operator that he "didn't know where this kid is", which negates your theory. Hard to initiate a conflict when one of the parties isn't even there, wouldn't you say?

All this is immaterial to your attempted point, as following someone is not 'initiating a conflict'.

He is still the aggressor.

Then you agree that, given what we currently know, Martin was the aggressor?

It may turn out that a measured response includes an armed component. For example if the "defender" escalates the conflict from armed to unarmed.

And completely justified, if the aggressor escalated to deadly force like smashing the defender's head into a concrete sidewalk.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Put up a poll that appears you are genuinely interested in hearing people's opinions and I'll vote.

Looks like for this round all your options other than the first one are just snide commentary.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Put up a poll that appears you are genuinely interested in hearing people's opinions and I'll vote.

Looks like for this round all your options other than the first one are just snide commentary.

That's because the other 'options' aren't really options at all - they rely on the good graces of the person that is attacking you.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

That's because the other 'options' aren't really options at all - they rely on the good graces of the person that is attacking you.

which was his point - yet again John put up a post that doesn't allow for any choice. There are certainly more options than begging or running for your life.

which was his point - yet again John put up a post that doesn't allow for any choice. There are certainly more options than begging or running for your life.

Really? What other options other than running or having the *legal* ability to use force in your own defense are there?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Really? What other options other than running or having the *legal* ability to use force in your own defense are there?

you changed "running for your life" to running, I see. So you already acknowledge at least a bit more of a spectrum of choices between run and fire.

you changed "running for your life" to running, I see. So you already acknowledge at least a bit more of a spectrum of choices between run and fire.

Feel free to consider it written as 'running for your life' if it gets you to actually contribute something.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Why can't you run in your house?

How long will that keep an attacker from getting to you before you're cornered and trapped?
You can run from one end of a house to another, for most average-sized homes, in under 10 seconds.
What are you going to do after that?

In an outside scenario you're not limited by walls, and if you're young and quick enough, you might just escape.

The question is, should the government make running away a legal requirement, and prosecute any intended victims who dare to stand and defend themselves?

But hey, you're free to run around in circles inside your house of that's the strategy you want to use. It's a free country. Good luck.

Castle Doctrine should have been a choice here, no?

The context of the introduction was intended to make it clear that this poll was for self defense outside the home.

I also did not intend this to be yet another thread for arguing about the Martin/Zimmerman case - there are enough of those already. This is more of a generic self defense options topic.

I don't think anyone except skydekker expects people to be legally obligated to run away inside their own homes.

And kelpdiver complains that there are other options, but doesn't bother to offer up what those are.

So this is all just more of the usual funny stuff that goes on here.

Since when is following someone against the law,unless they have a restraining order against you?
If I see a suspicious individual or group around the area, and I follow and watch them,but do not physically detain them,would that make me an aggressor and warrant them assaulting me?
If they assault me for watching them,do I not have the right to defend myself?

IMO stand your ground is OK but here is my issue

I have this kid that I don't like, so I pack a gun and follow him at night, he notices me and gets nervous, he is afraid that I will jump him once he turns a dark corner, so he decides to protect himself and jumps me, the young kid is kicking my fat butt so I draw my gun to protect myself, now that the kid is dead my story is the only one that gets told

not stating that this is what happened but based on what we know it is possible

there needs to be a way to prevent this
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

IMO stand your ground is OK but here is my issue

I have this kid that I don't like, so I pack a gun and follow him at night, he notices me and gets nervous, he is afraid that I will jump him once he turns a dark corner, so he decides to protect himself and jumps me, the young kid is kicking my fat butt so I draw my gun to protect myself, now that the kid is dead my story is the only one that gets told

not stating that this is what happened but based on what we know it is possible

there needs to be a way to prevent this

The law doesn't allow you to draw the gun simply because you're losing the fight, so your problem is already solved.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You are kidding, right? Right?
*rolling eyes*

How about "trot around from room to room"
Waddle around....
Pussyfoot around....
..oh wait

Two reasonable options:
Fight or Flight

Two unreasonable options (to fall in with your 'spectrum':
Argue or Call his Bluff.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239